Milosevic's death marks 'total defeat' for UN tribunal

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:08 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/world/national/2006/03/12/milosevic-autopsy-060312.html

Milosevic's death marks 'total defeat' for UN tribunal, prosecutor says

Carla Del Ponte made the comments on Sunday, a day after the former Yugoslav president and Serbian nationalist was found dead in his cell at the UN detention centre in Scheveningen, a suburb of The Hague.

An autopsy was being performed on Sunday amid accusations that Milosevic, 64, had been poisoned only months before the end of his four-year trial.

The autopsy was being performed by pathologists in the Netherlands and observed by a pathologist from Serbia. Results were not expected for at least a day.

Del Ponte told the Italian daily La Repubblica that she viewed Milosevic's death as a "total defeat" for the UN's International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.

He was facing 66 charges, including genocide, stemming from the series of wars that tore apart the Balkans for a decade, leaving 250,000 dead.

Del Ponte said she believed the prospect of a guilty verdict may have prompted Milosevic to kill himself.

"Perhaps he wanted to avoid all that," she said. "You have the choice between a normal, natural death and suicide, and of course it could be possible."

Milosevic suffered from a heart condition and high blood pressure and his ill health had repeatedly interrupted his trial. On Saturday, French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy said Milosevic died of natural causes

On Sunday, the war crimes tribunal president said he ordered the autopsy and a toxicological examination after a report from the Dutch coroner that failed to establish the cause of death.

Milosevic thought he was being poisoned, lawyer says

But his death fuelled accusations of conspiracy on Sunday, as his supporters insisting that Milosevic was a victim of foul play and had possibly been poisoned.

Milosevic's legal adviser, Zdenko Tomanovic, showed reporters on Sunday a lengthy letter he said the former leader wrote on Friday.

In it, Milosevic said traces of a "heavy drug" had been found in his bloodstream and said he feared he was being poisoned.

"They would like to poison me," Tomanovic quoted Milosevic as telling him.

Massive outpouring of grief in Serbia

Thousands of people lined up to light candles and sign books of condolences on Sunday throughout Serbia, where many people regard Milosevic as a hero who tried to preserve Serbia's place as the dominant Yugoslav republic.

"They regard the circumstances of his death as extremely suspicious," said CBC correspondent Don Murray, who was in Belgrade.

"The country remains very divided in the wake of his death."

Murray said that many Serbs regard Milosevic as "a victim of machinations of the West."

2nd death in week at UN detention centre

Milosevic's detractors denounced him as a mass murderer, blaming him for leading Serbia into four Balkan wars, including the 1992-95 Bosnia conflict that left 200,000 people dead.

He was accused of overseeing the systematic killing of about 8,000 men and boys in the Bosnian town of Srebrenica in 1995, the worst massacre on European soil since the Second World War.

Eventually NATO sent 60,000 peacekeepers to the area to end the fighting and keep the Bosnian, Serb and Croatian armies apart.

Milosevic's death was the second one within a week at the UN detention centre in Scheveningen.

Former Croatian Serb leader Milan Babic, serving 13 years for crimes against humanity, committed suicide in his cell last weekend.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,307 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:13 pm
gunga's opinion on this topic can be found here on the other thread where he wrote this remarkable sentence:

gungasnake wrote:
It seems obvious enough to me that they've killed this guy (Milosevic) for the same basic reason they killed Christ.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:13 pm
Holy crap. He really wrote that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:26 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

I must admit, he "softened" it later:

gungasnake wrote:
INot that anybody would compare any of those guys with Christ mind you, but the cause of death was basically the same.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:30 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

I must admit, he "softened" it later:

gungasnake wrote:
INot that anybody would compare any of those guys with Christ mind you, but the cause of death was basically the same.

How about admitting that the two sentences were in the same post?

I mean, you clear don't have any sort of a clue as to what the subjet is about and one of my two cats could do a better job of trying to demonize the other guy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:32 pm
gungasnake wrote:
How about admitting that the two sentences were in the same post?

Who has here to admit what?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:24 pm
Gunga, it seems like instead of posting about international politics, you should stick to posting about evolutionary biology.

Your comments on science are not only far less offensive, they also make a lot more sense.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:31 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Gunga, it seems like instead of posting about international politics, you should stick to posting about evolutionary biology.

Your comments on science are not only far less offensive, they also make a lot more sense.

Oh I dunno...they seem connected.....Gunga proves that some of us DIDN'T evolve.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 04:34 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

If the idea of your tax dollars funding arkancide in the Hague doesn't offend you, I'm not gonna worry about ME offending you.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 05:00 pm
You don't offend me snake.

You have been my favorite ever since you gave us the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil in the garden.
0 Replies