A RECORD SCORE MATCH BETWEEN AUSTRALIA & SOUTH AFRICA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,444 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:22 am
Was it great hitting or, as it is in baseball, lousy pitching?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:46 am
It was great hitting. The major difference in cricket (to baseball) is that the ball bounces in the delivery to the batsman. Since it's played on a grass covered turf pitch, the characteristics of the pitch play a big part in the number of runs that can be scored. If the ball moves a lot from the pitch, it's much more difficult to score runs. The pitch at the ground (The Wanderers) is very flat, with very even bounce, which doesn't provide much assistance to the bowlers. It has a reputation for high scores. This was the best one-day cricket match I'd ever seen, even considering that Australia lost.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:56 am
Bloody hell! I bet there are a few tired batsmen out there today.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:03 am
Don't know about that. There were HEAPS of 4's and 6's hit. The most in any game ever.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:32 am
The ball hits the ground??

Is this the source of "That's the way the ball bounces."?

J
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:13 am
Joe Nation wrote:
The ball hits the ground??

Yes.

Joe Nation wrote:
Is this the source of "That's the way the ball bounces."?

J

I don't know, but guess that it's a possibility.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:53 am
That old FOP Ellpus once tried to explain cricket but I fell asleep reading. I think that a rather clear (not too full of Victorian references) should be forwarded on the actual RULES and play sequences of the game of cricket, so that we in the colonies can have a better understanding of this game. Whats its whole point? I notice that our tv stations dont carry it, yet guys like Wilso and Ellpus will sit and watch a "cricket cluster" all day.

That is, of course, unless the whole point of the game is as one huge put-on .
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:01 am
The point is the same as baseball. A ball is delivered to a batsman, who attempts to hit it and score runs. Baseball is like cricket, but with all the style and elegance removed. Watching a top line batsman is like watching a master craftsman. Watching a baseball hitter is like watching a lumber jack swing an axe!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 11:49 am
baseball's art is in the physics of the pitching. Do you have a lot of cricket players on anabolic steroids? Even our pitchesr are starting to look like great apes.

OK heres a cricket scenario.
The "pitcher" heaves the ball in to the batter by bouncing it . It seems that the pitcher tries to get some (pardon) "English" on the ball by controlling its bounce.

The batter(the guy with the canoe padsdle) hits the ball to who?

Does the batter then run any bases? or does he just keep hitting the ball till something bad happens to some of the other guys in the field.

Im talking as a total cricket moron here wilso. Ive seen the Monty Python bits where the pitcher fires the ball in and the batter just stands there and the announcers (Idle, Cleese, Chapman and one other) are just getting **** faced on gin and saying stuff like
"that was very well not played by -----" It seems that cricket is just a lot of standing around (baseball is that too but at least theres an occasional act of violence)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:14 pm
In cricket, there are always two batsmen on the field. The game is played on a linear pitch 22 yards long. One batsman is "on strike"-he's the one who the ball is delivered to. The other is standing at the "non-strikers" end-the end that the bowler is delivering the ball from. When the ball is hit, the batsmen run to the other end of the pitch.

A bowler delivers a set of 6 balls from one end, called an "over". At the end of an over, the batsman stay in place, but the fielding team swaps around to bowl an "over" from the other end of the pitch with another bowler.

I'll give periodic updates, and try to find some pictures to help.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:26 pm
Just to give you a bit of support on this one, Wilso, I will now explain the finer rules of cricket for farmerman, one more time.

He is no doubt trying to catch herring with his ganny rod at this very moment, but will hopefully pop in to read this when he's removed his sou'wester.

THE RULES OF CRICKET.

You have two sides: One out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When both sides have been in and out including the not outs,
That's the end of the game.

I hope this helps.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:39 pm
Gee thanks:)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:42 pm
http://images.fotosearch.com/bigcomps/BDX/BDX143/bxp29892.jpg
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:48 pm
Whilst visiting in England, I heard baseball described as an inferior version of rounders. I knew enough to take that as an insult...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:50 pm
We allowed you IN?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:53 pm
you guys play pocket pool too much, Im trying to have a serious moment here. Is this game, like bocci ball, totally made up each time somebody picks up sides

OK

1How many guys on a team?
2When they play , where do they all stand? and what are their positions?
3 Why 2 batters and what does the second guy do except stand there and toke on a pilsner?
4 I hit a ball and it goes way out in the field. If someone catches it is the batter out? are there like 6 turns at bat and when you "strike out all the 6 do you change sides?

I think cricket is like the mesquite wood con foisted by the Brits (instead of Texans who want to get rid of all their termite infested wood laying around)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:50 pm
11 players in a team.
The batsmen are positioned at each end of the pitch.
The bowler and the captain of the fielding team will decide the fielding positions.
There are always two batsmen.
A batsmen stays in until he is dismissed. Yes, a batsmen can be out caught-the same as in baseball.
There are actually 10 modes of dismissal in cricket.

I can't remember them all right now, but the most common are

bowled-where the batsman misses the delivered ball and it hits the stumps.

leg before wicket-where ball strikes the batsman on the leg and the umpire adjudicates that the ball would have gone on to hit the stumps.

caught-self explanatory

run out-in attempting a run, the fielding team hits the stumps with the ball before a batsman has made it to the designated batting area (known as the crease)

stumped-where the batsmen has left the crease in attempting to play the ball, misses, and the wicket keeper breaks the stumps with the ball (similar to run out)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:57 pm
Lets start from the beginning.

Basics

Cricket is a team sport for two teams of eleven players each. A formal game of cricket can last anything from an afternoon to several days.

Although the game play and rules are very different, the basic concept of cricket is similar to that of baseball. Teams bat in successive innings and attempt to score runs, while the opposing team fields and attempts to bring an end to the batting team's innings. After each team has batted an equal number of innings (either one or two, depending on conditions chosen before the game), the team with the most runs wins.

(Note: In cricket-speak, the word ``innings'' is used for both the plural and the singular. ``Inning'' is a term used only in baseball.)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:02 pm
Equipment

Cricket Ball:
Hard, cork and string ball, covered with leather. A bit like a baseball (in size and hardness), but the leather covering is thicker and joined in two hemispheres, not in a tennis ball pattern. The seam is thus like an equator, and the stitching is raised slightly. The circumference is between 224 and 229 millimetres (8.81 to 9.00 inches), and the ball weighs between 156 and 163 grams (5.5 to 5.75 ounces). Traditionally the ball is dyed red, with the stitching left white. Nowadays white balls are also used, for visibility in games played at night under artificial lighting.
Cricket Bat:
Blade made of willow, flat on one side, humped on the other for strength, attached to a sturdy cane handle. The blade has a maximum width of 108 millimetres (4.25 inches) and the whole bat has a maximum length of 965 millimetres (38 inches).
Wickets:
There are two wickets - wooden structures made up of a set of three stumps topped by a pair of bails. These are described below.
Stumps:
Three wooden posts, 25 millimetres (1 inch) in diameter and 813 millimetres (32 inches) high. They have have spikes extending from their bottom end and are hammered into the ground in an evenly spaced row, with the outside edges of the outermost stumps 228 millimetres (9 inches) apart. This means they are just close enough together that a cricket ball cannot pass between them.
Bails:
Two wooden crosspieces which sit in grooves atop the adjacent pairs of stumps.

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hosking/cricket/wicket.gif

Protective Gear:
Pads, gloves, helmet, etc for batsmen to wear to prevent injury when struck by the ball.
Shoes:
Leather, usually with spiked soles for grip on the grass.
Clothing:
Long pants, shirt (long or short sleeved depending on the weather), possibly a sleeveless or long-sleeved woollen pullover in cold weather. For games played with a red ball, the clothing must be white or cream. With a white ball, players usually wear uniforms in solid team colours. Add a hat or cap to keep the sun off. There are no regulations regarding identifying marks or numbers on clothing.
0 Replies