Have You Ever Seen One of These???

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:22 pm
I absolutely love peacocks. They are so beautiful. There was a farmer near us that had a couple. They wandered the countryside. The first time I heard one it scared me to death. But, when I saw those beautiful colors reflected in the sun, I was in awe.

I had no idea there even was such a think as an albino peacock. He looks like a giant snowflake!! Have you ever seen one?

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7853/peacock8ow.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,723 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:56 pm
Leeds Castle is quite famous to have some couple of white peacocks around (with 'noemal ones as well).

I saw several here in Germany, too.

... and not forget "The White Peacock" by D. H. Lawrence :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:58 pm
we used to have a golden peacock which looked very similar to the one you posted. He was a dandy, but a fox got Im.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:02 pm
I have never seen one. I would love to though. The zoo in Monroe only has the blue ones. A golden peacock? Learn something new everyday!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:03 pm
This database shows some varieties of various coloured peafowls.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:11 pm
Shocked I have got to get out more! Walter, thanx so much for that link. I had no clue there were so many kinds of peacocks. Some even look like calicos. I think the India Blue is my favorite though. That one picture of the peacocks on the porch reminds me of our neighbor's porch.

It seems completely natural once you get used to seeing them there, but at first, it's quite a nice surprise.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:53 pm
I'm the type of person that is not startled easily...at all. Over the years it's sort of became a game for the wife and kids to try to make me jump in some way....hide behind doors, throwing things at me when I have my back turned...etc...If they get me to flinch, it's a great achievement.

We were at a very small zoo once, where they let the peacocks roam free. As we were leaving, one of them got in our path on the sidewalk, my wife who was ahead of me, cut between the parked cars to avoid it, I did the same but went between a different set of cars....all the while keeping my eyes on the peacock. About half way through the cars another peacock, which I did not see. let out a squall that would peel paint off a wall....about a foot in front of me. I jumped backwards, at least 10 feet, and landed back on the sidewalk.

When I finally got away from the peacocks, and back to our car...I had to sit still for 15 minutes to get my heart to slow down....My wife laughed about that every day for a few weeks. When the page first opened, and I saw that peacock...I twinged a bit.

I just had to sort of reenact the event so she would remember where we were...{Springfield Mo Zoo}....she's laughing again.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:06 pm
Didn't mean to bring up old memories 2Packs. I remember the first time I heard one. Now, I have a cat that sounds like one. But, that will be fixed here shortly when he is.

I can just see your face! Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:10 pm
Peacocks make excellent guard dogs.

when I lived in the country, my neighbor had 5 or 6.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:12 pm
That's what my neighbor said Chai Tea. Can you imagine coming up on one of them in the middle of the night? You ever see one mad? Not a pretty sight. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:16 pm
Peacocks have an incredible taste. Kind of hard to describe. A nice pleasant taste like a bald eagle, yet there is that familiar whooping crane aftertaste and just an exotic hint of trumpheter swan.

Try it some time.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:25 pm
Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:38 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
When the page first opened, and I saw that peacock...I twinged a bit.

Laughing

I went to a "destination" wedding that was held at some castle in England, which had a resident albino peacock. I really wanted to get a good picture of him, and chased him around for a while. (Not literal chasing, but getting closer, he'd mosey off, closer, etc.) I ended up taking some ridiculous number of photos 'cause I kept *almost* getting the shot I wanted. (Never did, of course. Damn peacock.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:39 pm
This was not during the wedding itself btw. Shocked My husband was in the wedding party so we got to stay at the castle for a couple of days beforehand, too. Way cool.
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:28 pm
I saw a white peacock in Zoo Atlanta, GA! And very fine and dandy it was too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:15 pm
lotsa dark meat on a peacock, thats why theyre so incredibly tasty. I dont get a whooping crane aftertaste at all. Maybe its the mode of cooking there gus.
Do you eviscerate your peacocks before cooking?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:17 pm
Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:18 pm
what?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:20 pm
Eviscerate before cooking? Yuck!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:23 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Eviscerate before cooking? Yuck!

Shocked
Would you prefer that the evisceration step was neglected?
0 Replies