problems with explorer.exe

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 09:20 am
Hello
I have problems open directories and movies on my harddrive.
As soon as I click on any of my .wmv movieclips, a sign comes up that says explorer.exe ran into problems and has to shut down. This happens sometimes if I open "my computer" to manage and work with my directories.
I try to save images but explorer shuts down. I try to upload images to my website, or even through e-mail, but cant cause explorer shuts down.
Ive been scanning the computer many times with different programs, but found nothing. Ive been updating the programs that I have, but still no change. I dont know whats wrong.
Does anyone of you know what I can do to fix this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 550 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:23 am
you may have a virus.
0 Replies

BlueDuck

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:21 am
I think so too, but the antivirus-programs Ive been using havent found anything at all. Do I have to buy a new harddrive??
0 Replies

ripley

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 08:51 am
i dont think its a virus nor buying a new HD will solve it. Its a known thing about explorer not being able to handle large amounts of avi files. Its about windows itself and the solution is to edit the windows registry. So i'm assuming that the same is for wmv files.

However i could be wrong though. Its just something i read a while ago that i remembered. Maybe you could try and reinstall the explorer.exe file [and other associated folders]. I say that as a few months back, a friend of mine had a problem with explorer.exe and he just replaced explorer.exe over the existing one and it worked for him.
0 Replies