Why agnosticism isn't a rational position

JLNobody

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 05:08 pm
Chumly, I agree with you, insofar as you acknowledge (like few people here do) that we live in a perspectivistic world. Our "observations" are largely interpretations. I agree if you are arguing that seeing someone as godly makes that someone "godly" only to the interpreter.
But, then, we are now in the relativistic world in which I am really comfortable. Nice to have you as a co-inhabitant.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 05:21 pm
Yuppers, I am arguing that seeing someone as godly makes that someone "godly" only to the interpreter. I am trying to spiff up on all the nifty nomenclature and concepts. I agree we live in a perspectivistic world, thanks for the welcome, I am a neophyte.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 05:25 pm
Before the christian jesus and god, humans created many other gods from anything on earth or in the heavens.

That anybody would believe anybody or anything to be a god is born of ignorance no matter what their "reality."

If we take away logic, history, environment, all other influences, and still believe something or somebody to be a god, the perception has no basis of evidence or fact.

Sorry, Chumly, but I'm missing your point completely.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 06:26 pm
c.i.-

Watch a woman eat from when the preg test is positive to when she transforms it all into the guy who scores the winning goal in the World Cup final next summer.

Show me a peer revieved boffin who can explain that.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 01:56 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Before the christian jesus and god, humans created many other gods from anything on earth or in the heavens.

That anybody would believe anybody or anything to be a god is born of ignorance no matter what their "reality."

If we take away logic, history, environment, all other influences, and still believe something or somebody to be a god, the perception has no basis of evidence or fact.

Sorry, Chumly, but I'm missing your point completely.
I'm going on the definition of a god, not belief in a god per se, and how that relates to me being a futurist-homo-theist aka 'futhomthe'. Does that help?

Futhomthe is a bit of tongue in cheek, but it might fit me better than some other monikers.

Or are you pointing out potential flaws in the relativistic world as it pertains to religious beliefs?
0 Replies