Should I worry about a daylight racoon?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 12:02 am
Our cats, semiferal, would ignore Raccy and her kits.

I presume I told the raccoon in the toilet story here. Well, I'll check. Maybe manana.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 08:47 am
Skunks are basically harmless except for the fact that they are the only North American mammal which concentrates rabies virus in its saliva. That alone makes them pretty dangerous in my book. Raccoons, on the other hand, are foul-tempered, nasty critters that are all too often spoiling for a fight, particularly during breeding season. Cats are generally too quick to make a good opponent for them, but they tend to enjoy beating the hell out of dogs that are fairly small. Cornered, deliberately or accidentally, they can do some pretty serious damage to humans with both teeth and claws.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:27 am
CowDoc,

I have to agree with you. People I guess want to think they are cute and funny.

I'm not going into any detail, but we were having a racoon problem for a while, my husband finally shot the damn thing, and good riddance.

They are nothing but trouble and frankly, I can't stand them.
0 Replies

blackbeard1717

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:33 pm
I just caught two little ones TODAY ,heading to my next door neighbore's graduation party in the middle of the day . I wonder if something happened to the Mom ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:47 pm
@Amigo,
Amigo wrote:
Boomerang, Full size adult racoons are very dangerous.
This is true. One of them stepped on my left foot, a few summers ago.

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:07 pm
I have raccoon stories on a2k, all interesting to me, of course. The most interesting was when I was in our toilet compartment upstairs from our gallery, engaged as usual, and heard noise above, in our 1880 building..

The next day, the raccy's had broken through. I'm so glad it didn't happen as I was peeing.

There's more to that story, but back in some old thread.

(I like raccoons, but take them seriously. Well, hey, I would.)
0 Replies

naggingmoose

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:56 am
@Bella Dea,
We had a 3 legged coon also. He stayed in the same area by the creek. We believe he couldn't compete with the other coons or animals at night so he hunted during the day. Neighbor feed him but he didn't last a year. Daylight coons are generally sick!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:43 am
Last summer, the drought caused raccoons to come out in daylight at the park. I believe it was picnicers' food luring them.
0 Replies

mackllinvinger

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 01:22 am
@boomerang,
I FULL AGREE WITH YOU
boomerang

I know they're dangerous. I've locked all of my pets inside. Still, they're worth peeking at! I'll call animal control and see what they say.
0 Replies

mackllinvinger

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 01:23 am
THANKS ...
0 Replies

Amanda Dawson

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 01:59 am
@boomerang,
Defiantly they can hurt sometimes, its better to get a trap ASAP
0 Replies