Should I worry about a daylight racoon?

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 04:19 pm
I've seen raccoons in the daytime before.

I think it's most important to see how it's behaving, other than the daytime thing. (Walking straight, looking for food, NOT frothing at the mouth Shocked, etc.)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 04:38 pm
dlowan wrote:
Crazielady420 wrote:
In the 4th grade a girl got bit by a racoon in the daytime... she got rabbi's... over 100 shots... hope that helps

A hundred shots to kill some poor Rabbi?
Whaddya expect? The trapper's name was Cheney. Rabbi Raccoon probably snuck up on him too. Wink
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 05:47 pm
That is one badass Rabbi!

I talked to the vet people and they said that the racoon must just feel very at home here to wander up in the daytime.

They did warn me about letting it eat here but there really isn't any way I can prevent it from coming around without capturing it.

Portland has very strict urban growth boundries. Meanining -- we're seven minutes from downtown proper and three minutes from serious farmland.

Wildlife around here is pretty common but you don't see many racoons in your yard at high noon.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 06:47 pm
Do you own a BB gun?

Just wondering. If you own a BB gun.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 06:55 pm
Why?

You comin' over?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 06:59 pm
boomerang wrote:
That is one badass Rabbi!

crazylady & boom.....THAT is my new signature line!!!!!! Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:08 pm
<snork>

I have actually known on totally groovy, badass Rabbi.

If I had been 30 years older....

I might now be convinced about this whole God thing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:12 pm
When you think about it....

Jesus could be described as a totally groovy, badass Rabbi.

But I don't know him personally.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:50 pm
Could just be a pregnant female looking for a nesting place. ( Shocked doubt that will put your mind at ease!)

Quote:
Raccoon Rabies: Since "raccoon rabies" reached Connecticut in March, 1991, thousands of raccoons have become infected. Other species, including dogs, cats, skunks, foxes, woodchucks and livestock, have also been infected. The following symptoms may indicate the presence of rabies, distemper or other diseases in raccoons or other mammals: unprovoked aggression, impaired movement, paralysis or lack of coordination, unusually friendly behavior and disorientation. Just because a nocturnal animal like the raccoon is active during daylight hours doesn't necessarily mean that it is sick. Raccoons often adjust their feeding schedules, especially in the spring when rearing their young. Contact with any wild or stray animal should be avoided, especially if it is behaving abnormally. Report sick or strange-acting animals to your local police, animal control officer or the DEP. For more information on rabies, contact your local health department.

from this website
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:50 pm
Does it look like this http://www.darksidedisplays.com/images/15-AA4016.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:17 pm
Quote:
a totally groovy, badass Rabbi.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/thefed/v2/archives/18/18.3/images/rabbi.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:52 pm
The racoon is still out there!

I went out to the garage to do some laundry and it was just sitting there.

It shambled off into the back yard and I ran in, flipped on the backyard light and showed it to Mr. B.

It looked at us for a bit, turned around and went back into the garage.

This time I got a good look - it just has a stub instead of a tail. Other than that it is a magnificent animal but I'm a little worried about it's behavior.

Still, my cat was out there eating and didn't seemed to distressed about the visitor.

This is getting kind of weird! I really don't want to have to pay a trapper but I'm worried about both the racoon and my pets.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:57 pm
Boomerang,

If your cat is not worried about the racoon, then I see no reason for you to be. I have one that has just started coming on my porch at night to eat with the cats and they don't care. If there was a problem your cat or other pets would know.

I can't wait until you can get a picture A stub of a tail? A bobtailed racoon? Cool.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 08:33 pm
That's why there's a rifle in my closet. We have skunks and raccoons frequenting our back yard, especially during the summer. They are something to be concerned about, regardless of what your cat thinks.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 08:36 pm
They are? Shocked Is there any particular reason Cowdoc? Do I need to stop this racoon from coming on the porch with the cats?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:09 pm
We used to have raccys at work in Eureka. Tended to see them sometimes in later afternoon. Those cute lil'scoundrels..

There was a local Wildlife control lady who came out to get them (she had great total arm mittens..).
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:13 pm
We have skunks and racoons hanging out all the time, no problems other than the dogs want to chase them. Unless you have a rabies warning in your area- they are harmless.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:16 pm
I think our bobtail racoon met his maker the other day. That is a problem even in areas where the urban growth boundries are strict.

I feel sorry for him but I really don't think he was doing well -- what with the missing tail and all.

<sigh>
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:35 pm
Ya know, there is something very special about a bicycle with a racoon tail on the top of the whip antenna.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 11:54 pm
Shocked
0 Replies