Saving pictures with Windows XP Home

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:03 pm
I just bought a new computer and cannot save pictures. I had no trouble saving pictures with my old computer running Windows '98. Now that I bought a new one running Windows XP Home I can't save any pictures. Can someone tell me what might be wrong? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 745 • Replies: 12
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:46 pm
That's odd - you should be able simply to right-click on an image and select either of the "Save" (which by default should save to your "My Pictures" folder) or "Save As ... " (which should allow you to rename the image if desired and to save it to a folder of your choice) options. What happens when you right-click on an image?
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 06:46 am
timberlandko wrote:
That's odd - you should be able simply to right-click on an image and select either of the "Save" (which by default should save to your "My Pictures" folder) or "Save As ... " (which should allow you to rename the image if desired and to save it to a folder of your choice) options. What happens when you right-click on an image?

If the picture is a jpg it will go into my folder. If it's anything else the picture does not show just the stastistics only. With Windows "98 I had no problem. Gif's will go in also.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 09:07 am
What happens when you try to save the image below?

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3332/a2klogo1tif6zm.png

That image is a .png file - another common type of image file - you should be able to save it.

What image file types are giving you difficulty? What are the extensions at the end of the file name of the images you can't save, and what happens when you right-click on that sort of image?
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 10:26 am
timberlandko wrote:
What happens when you try to save the image below?

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3332/a2klogo1tif6zm.png

That image is a .png file - another common type of image file - you should be able to save it.

What image file types are giving you difficulty? What are the extensions at the end of the file name of the images you can't save, and what happens when you right-click on that sort of image?

I saved that image as a png and bitmap both wound up in my folder OK.
The other pictures that would not go to my folder were bitmap.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 12:37 pm
Perhaps the images you were trying to save are copy-protected ... one method used for preventing web users from saving images displayed on a website is to overlay that image with an essentially blank transparent .gif - the transparent overlay is what gets saved, not the image beneath it. If you would tell me what happens when you try to save one of the images that are giving you trouble, I might be able to get closer to a solution for you.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 01:43 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Perhaps the images you were trying to save are copy-protected ... one method used for preventing web users from saving images displayed on a website is to overlay that image with an essentially blank transparent .gif - the transparent overlay is what gets saved, not the image beneath it. If you would tell me what happens when you try to save one of the images that are giving you trouble, I might be able to get closer to a solution for you.

They are not copyrighted they are my pictures saved on Photobucket.
The thumbnails will go to my folder, the full size pictures will not. If you want to see them.

EDIT (Moderator): Link Removed

If you can't get in that way my user name and pass word are:

EDIT (Moderator: Personal Information Removed

There are two pictures there of a women frend unclothed but only from behind. If you go to that site I didn't want you to be upset.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 03:58 pm
I had no trouble seeing, or saving, any of those images.

Tell me what happens when you try to save the image THIS LINK opens.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 04:24 pm
Re: Saving pictures with Windows XP Home
Victor Murphy wrote:
I just bought a new computer and cannot save pictures. I had no trouble saving pictures with my old computer running Windows '98. Now that I bought a new one running Windows XP Home I can't save any pictures. Can someone tell me what might be wrong? Thanks!

I got that picture this time as a bitmap. Let me surf around and try to get some other pictures and see if I have anymore trouble. I'll be back.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 04:32 pm
Oh .... I see the link and passwords were Moderated away - no biggie; I got what I needed before that happened. The way things work around here, you can't link to your own website, and while it isn't strictly against the rules, posting username/password login info on any public forum is very, very unwise.

BTW - to provide a link to just an image, not to the website or webpage on which it appears, as I did above, right-click on the image as it appears on the webpage, select "Properties", and copy the textstring that appears next to
"Address:
(URL)
"

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/9395/imageproperties0gb.jpg

BTW - lotta good info here: Tutorial - How to post an image
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 04:42 pm
I tried again. All the pictures didn't show up in my folder just the statistics and a icon. I clicked on the icon and get the message, No preview available. For some reason I cut and pasted the icon to an email form, magically the picture appeared instead of the icon. I just can't figure out what's going on! Thanks for your trouble.

That site means nothing to me, that's why I posted my user name and password. I have the pictures also saved on a floppy disk!
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:31 am
This information from Microsoft might explain things. I don't have a lot of computer training. Everthing that I know I figured out on my own.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282124/en-us
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 02:52 pm
I solved the problem for the time being until I find out what's wrong. I paste the picture on an email form and send it to myself, then I send the picture as a bmp to the folder that I want. Maybe I'll get the book "Windows XL For Dummies"
0 Replies