Sick of games focusing on americans

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 10:51 am
Ok i dont know if this has been done before, but im just getting bored of all these american g.i joe one man army ww2 games, anyone else with me on this one. I mean how many times can u play the same theatre of war (1942-1944 is their fave)? and why not have a ww2 game where you play as the germans for a change?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,979 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:04 am
Simple. Develop your own game!
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:20 am
Re: Sick of games focusing on americans
DDT_1988_UK wrote:
Ok i dont know if this has been done before, but im just getting bored of all these american g.i joe one man army ww2 games, anyone else with me on this one.

So what, you want a game about eating biscuits, drinking tea, and pissing and moaning about Manchester United?

Quote:
I mean how many times can u play the same theatre of war (1942-1944 is their fave)? and why not have a ww2 game where you play as the germans for a change?

Apparently enough times to warrant the continuation of the genre. And there are numerous games out where you can play various sides, though not in any sort of 'historic' battles if that's what you're wanting. To be honest, some game designers may be fearful of the 'taboo' of making games that allow you to play a nazi.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 12:50 pm
The latest installement on The Commandos series looks to have been revamped some what. I'm guessing there will be an American or two in it but the style of gameplay may just offer an intriguing twist to those who are getting a little tired of WW2 X, Y and Z.

Commandos Strike Force

Personally I'd really like to see some kind of open ended take on a 'Great Escape' style WW2 game if they're going to continue with this setting. Maybe expand a little more on the time period, places and people etc. Not exactly sure how it would work though.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:46 am
in call of duty 2 on xbox you start off as a russian officer fighting the nazis
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:40 pm
If memory serves me correctly, there are 4 campaigns or 4 persona's you take part in during COD 2. An American, a Russian and, two separate british sections. So yeah, I think you can play through that time line wise as well, rather than the individual character campaigns. They didn't over do it, anything but.
0 Replies

crimsontriad

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:32 am
i personally think that it has been overdone a little bit. however, i agree with Questioner about the nazi taboo.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 07:38 am
Political interests could not be absent from video games. Games are made by Americans, are focusing on Americans, this is not strange. I heard the Chinese goverment is sponsoring the creation of video games with patriotic content.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 07:44 am
Japanese companies make video games which focus on Americans, as well. Of couse, they also make games which focus on Japanese culture, and anime is a huge influence in vidoe games.

Age of Empires does not ever refer to Americans or America, and it is a very popular game. Of course, it is usually sold with English-language programming, but i suspect that DDT_1988_UK will find that very proper. Most video games with which i am familiar have versions available in other languages, and web searches for the types of RPGs which i prefer lead to sites in a wide variety of languages. Additioally, when you download patches or game "add-ons," you have to specify your language.

Tempest in a teapot . . .
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:14 am
Setanta wrote:
Japanese companies make video games which focus on Americans, as well. Of couse, they also make games which focus on Japanese culture, and anime is a huge influence in vidoe games.

Of course, the market of the USA is probably the most profitable in video games. I didn't said that every game has to focus in the country it is made, I said this must not sound strange to people.
0 Replies

crimsontriad

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 01:05 pm
Ellinas wrote:

Of course, the market of the USA is probably the most profitable in video games.

excellent point
0 Replies

SelmarTaynor

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:31 pm
Cmon now, you can chose to be any country in TORINO: THE GAME.
But really, the best game would be a WWII game with multiple campaign modes on the Germans, Russians and Americans side. There's just one problem...
SOME DEVRY STUDENT HASN'T CREATED IT YET!
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 06:10 am
What about the James bond 007 games?
0 Replies

Raener

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:07 pm
Try Half-Life 2. You'll be amazed.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 01:39 pm
xguymontagx wrote:
What about the James bond 007 games?

These are focusing on British I guess.
0 Replies

justcallmeblue

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 01:15 pm
because americans are the only counrty fat and lazy enough to pay for video games as much as they do. you don't see third world starving children saying "OMG did you see the graphics on GOW?! I'm going to go download some GOW themed skins for my xboxlive profile!"
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:11 am
One of my favorite PC flight sims (for PC) is IL2 Sturmovik. True, it is still WWII, but it is the eastern front (Russia / Axis). It and its sequels/expansions are excellent games if you're into the combat sims.
0 Replies