Inputting Japanese

rufio

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 02:17 am
I've been trying to figure out how to input Japanese kana/kanji into word processors and etc under Fedora Core 4. Most of the sites I've run into say something like... "download this tarball and then install all these things and then type this big huge complicated thing into a terminal before you use the word processor". Every time I've tried this, none of the stuff they want me to download actually makes. To compound this, my father keeps insisting I do updates and download the latest whatever from Red Hat, the result of which is that I now have 3 different kernals on my computer because only one of the earlier ones can actually succesfully connect to the internet via wireless. The update apparently also made it so that none of my fonts work either, which might be a problem if that darn thing ever gets installed.

So... can someone explain some way to input Japanese in some sort of simple English and where to get these programs, and how to tell if I've already got them, and how to make them work?

And if someone could speculate as to why my fonts are all caput, that would be nice too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 850 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:51 pm
Are you trying to translate Japanese or just make the font show up in a word processor?

You may need to download a font if you do not already have one installed.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 12:14 am
I'm just trying to input it with the keyboard. I can do this in windows on other computers I've used - you type the romaaji and shows up as kana and kanji.

I have Kochi fonts, which I understand are the correct ones, but when I start typing, it switches back into an English font. (None of my other fonts work either, but they still show up in my windows partition if I view the documents there, and they don't switch in the middle of typing.) I can view web pages that are written in Japanese without any problems, so I don't think I need to download anymore fonts.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 08:54 am
Sounds like it might be a preference setting in your word processing program. I tried to do the same thing in Microsoft word and the same thing happened to me. I did a help search and this is what I found:

Quote:

Enable editing of Japanese text in Office programs
1. Install the Microsoft Language Register by using the Value Pack installer on your Microsoft Office X CD. For more information about installing Value Pack components, see the Guide to the Value Pack in the Value Pack folder on your CD.
2. Drag the application icon for the application that you want to enable Japanese text editing for on top of the Microsoft Language Register utility.
3. In the Select the language to enable for pop-up menu, click Japanese.
Note After running the Microsoft Language Register program you should select the Kotoeri keyboard layout, or a third-party keyboard layout of your choice, from the Keyboard Menu tab in the International pane in System Preferences.

I haven't tried it but it sounds like this might help.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 02:54 pm
Maybe, except that nothing Microsoft is going to run unter linux. Razz
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 03:21 pm
I assume you want to use Open Office (and I don't know why anyone would want to run Microsoft's Word Processing bohemeth under any OS).

I found this

Japanese with Open Office

I also hope you are using either "yum" or "apt-get". You should be able to install an RPM for kinput 2.

Good luck.
0 Replies