Important: Switching carrers

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 07:15 pm
I'am a environmental engineer working in US. Want to shift my carreer into software industry. Can anyone suggest the fields? Like a Charted Account switching to Orcale Financials or Manufacturing Industry experience guy switching to SAP.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,490 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 06:27 am
Oh man, thing is, there are a million fields out there. Software covers so many aspects of our lives that it's hard to make a reasonable suggestion that will fit your circumstances unless your circumstances are better defined.

Are you interested in financials, or just using it as an example? It's tough to tell from your post.
0 Replies

riverwater

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:27 am
Thanks for your reply jespah. I understand there are wide range of fields in software, but i want to get into something related to my current field i.e environmental engineering. I'm not keen on Financials as that is not my field. I used that as an example.
0 Replies

riverwater

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:50 am
Switching careers
Thanks Jespah for the reply. Currently the only software that I use to draw engineering drawings, is AutoCAD. Apart from this I have knowledge of few hydrological software's like ModFlow and HECRAS.

I am planning to settle in India and would like to get a job related to my environmental career (but in a software firm). I would really appreciate if you or anyone reading this can provide me some valuable information.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 02:45 pm
Ah, AutoCad, my husband knows it, too.

There's at least one competitor to AutoCad that I know of, it's called Microstation.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:32 pm
Hi riverwater,

I'm not sure if you're still looking for a career change. I'm not sure what companies hire environmental professionals - but I do know that there are software companies that build applications related to your field. For esxample: environment and health safety software. You would typically fit into the role of a product analyst - if the company is conviced you are an expert in that field...
0 Replies

riverwater

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 05:52 pm
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I would like to move back to India and was not sure how to use my current engineering skills. If you have any more suggestions than please feel free to post.
Thanks again
0 Replies