cracking .sef files

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 12:35 pm
I made a partition (folder) in hdd for security with Steganos Security Suite...
How ever, after some time, I forget my pass....
and then I try to crack the .sef files but not happen..
how can I make it......???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,795 • Replies: 3
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:28 pm
Here's what Steganos has to say about lost passwords, , but I doubt you're gonna like it:

[url=http://www.steganos.com/?layout=web2005&content=faq&language=en&faq=151&p=1&n=232152][u][i][b]Steganos[/b][/i][/u][/url] wrote:
I forgot my password for Steganos Password Manager.
Search for a file named "password.sef". This file is the passwordcontainer. If you do not know the password to open, you have to delete the file. If you are not able to find the file, deacivate the hiding from system files in the properties of the Windows Explorer. By default you will find the file here:
  • Windows 2000 and XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Aplication Data\Steganos...\password.sef
  • Windows 9x and ME:
    C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Steganos...\password.sef

We are using safe algorithms and program codes without any backdoors or master passwords only. Therefore it is impossible even for us to open any encrypted file without the appropriate password or to repair / un-delete / decrypt encrypted files. We are also not able to find hidden files or change any encrypted and/or hidden files.

Steganos is pretty good at doing what it what it does, which is to secure files from unauthorized access. Locating and deleting the master password file will not decrypt a file locked under that password; doing so merely will allow you to set a new password for future use.

Just something to think about: a security tool that could easily be defeated wouldn't be much of a security tool, now, would it?
0 Replies

harun kurt

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 04:16 pm
steganos
I found that files which u said and than deleted it...
but I cant till login my partition....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:39 pm
That's right - its encrypted under the lost password; no way to unencrypt it without the lost password, as Steaganos' website states:
Quote:
it is impossible even for us to open any encrypted file without the appropriate password or to repair / un-delete / decrypt encrypted files.
0 Replies