Some Thoughts About The Oscars

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 08:52 pm
The ratings were down and probably because no blockbuster was on the roster. I commend them for the four independent films and "Munich." They still bolstered Peter Jackson's stature by giving "King Kong" three technical awards. Universal was behind KK and BBM -- now that's something I would like to have been a fly on the wall in the boardroom at Universal.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 09:37 pm
Hey, Snood, is that a Spike Lee lookalike or is it Spook Lee that you have for your avatar.

I never worry about what people like Light Wizard have to say. I nailed him with information he probably did not realize concerning his hero, Gore Vidal.

Do you know, Snood, that Spook Lee taught at Harvard? Did you know that his film classes were attended by African-Americans and non serious students?

I think you might wish to give more thought to your choice of Avatar.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 09:38 pm
You might want to give more thought to your choice of words, mele.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 09:42 pm
Really? Why? On a forum on which the President of the United States is called a murderer, there is not really anything that can be said that would top that, is there?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:03 pm
So...do you think that this year ushered in a 'new & improved" Oscars or was this year just a fluke?
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:09 pm
The ratings for the Oscars were down. There were no movies which were blockbusters. The studios will soon learn that the "bulk" of the movie going public will not pay to go to see movies about bizarre life styles.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:12 pm
The only one you nailed is yourself -- to the cross.

There were no blockbusters. Yeah, right.

The contrived blockbusters were the problem -- they didn't become blockbusters. Remakes of tired TV shows I hope are on the way out. Actually, I don't care if they waste their money to make them. Twice burned...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:17 pm
What a wierd intrusion. I simply would not respond to it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:19 pm
I know, don't feed the crows. But it is tempting when it is crow.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:22 pm
If you know anything about film, you know that there are over 200 films which have grossed over 200,000,000. That is a level which Brokeback( now at 33 Million, will never get close to.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:27 pm
$33M huh? You need vitamins or perhaps some more serious drugs.

"Brokeback Mountain" box office

Domestic: $81,048,000 57.9%
+ Foreign: $59,000,000 42.1%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $140,048,000

You seem to be deliberately digging a hole so deep for yourself that it's made its way half-way to China. Where is any link that supports your 200 films doing over $200M. Have another drink -- you're appearing to be soused already.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:40 pm
JLNobody wrote:

I'm trying to move us along but LW seems stuck in the muck.

So...do you think that this year ushered in a 'new & improved" Oscars or was this year just a fluke?
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
Really? Well, you are the one who does not know what he is doing.

Do you really think I would accept a figure from you with no link?

You are really naive. I wouldn't put it past you to lie.

And if you want to find out just how seriously misinformed you are, go to find IMDb on the Internet- Google will take you to All time world wide box office----Films with the highest receipts in History

If you are able to read the link intelligently, you will notice that no. 283 on the link has made over 200,000,000.

As I said, Brokeback will never ever get near that number.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:52 pm
I already knew that but since we were writing about films of 2005, I was wondering if you had completely lost your mind. Since there have been well over 20,000 movies made, that makes 1% of them that have done over $200M. Your argument is laughable and I am going to do what I should have done (eoe, you are right) and ignore you until you "Crash" and burn.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:55 pm
That shouldn't take long.
Spook,huh?
Issues - definite issues...
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:55 pm
Very lame answer!!
Inasmuch as Brokeback was supposed to be the greatest movie of the last twenty two years. it is just a movie which is viewed by most of the populace for the same reason they go to the circus to see the Bearded Lady--a freak show!!

Here are some of the outstanding block busters which have taken in more than one of the"world's most meaninful movie in years--Brokeback Mountain>"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:56 pm
eoe wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

I'm trying to move us along but LW seems stuck in the muck.

I would hope that it's a good sign, although the Oscars hasn't exactly igorned independent films. The year "Jerry McGuire" was nominated, it was the only studio feature.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:02 pm
Four outstanding meaningful movies which stirred our nation and moved us to new insights about the human condition( which also made over 200,000,000) were

Charlie's Angels-Full Throttle

American Pie

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Honey, I shrunk the kids.

But few have the insight provided by Brokeback, whose prequel will be--All I ever wanted to know about Sheep but was afraid to ask.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:05 pm
Good night folks. I hope when I awaken tomorrow it will be gone.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:07 pm
Goodnight, JL. The wheels are in motion.
0 Replies