I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:08 am
I don't even want to be near my dog right now. I am tired, frustrated, pissed and don't know what to do.

I left on business on Wednesday for 2 nights, but my husband was here with her. On Wednesday night, she started barking every time we put her in her crate. Not like before...worse. She does it when we go to sleep. She does it when we take her out to go pee at night and put her back in. She does it in the morning. She f*cking barks all the time in her crate and I can't figure out what the hell is wrong! I am back and still she barks so it can't be that she is missing me.

She barks. I take her out to go to the bathroom and then back to the crate. She barks. And barks. And barks. At 6am on a Sunday morning, this is not good. I finally just let her out this morning and let her be. I know I am not suppose to enforce this bad behavior but I can't take it anymore.

Any suggestions on wtf is going on here or what to do about it?

I am starting to think I am not cut out for kids. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,581 • Replies: 38
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 05:57 pm
What is her crate schedule like?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 06:04 pm
hmm, no suggestions. we never put any of our dogs in a crate for the night or otherwise. she probably feels trapped (i know i would) or associates it with her being left alone. certainly sounds like anxiety.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 06:17 pm
It's just so weird beacause for the last few weeks, she's been fine. Now, suddenly, she is crazy barking!

Her crate schedule varies but it always has. Nothing has changed in that regard.

We will see how tonight goes...wish me luck... Confused
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:51 pm
How much time does she spend in her crate. Could she be barking to entertain herself? Boxers are active dogs with active imaginations.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:27 pm
She goes 4 hours at a time. The worst barking is at night, when we are there and she should be sleeping.

She barkes when we leave but stops soon after (the old, stand by the door and pretend we are gone trick) and is never barking when we get home.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:30 pm
Just leave her out of the crate, at least at night. She wants to
be with you. Put her bed next to yours, and she'll be fine.

I never had any dog in a crate, even when they were
puppies.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:31 pm
We can't allow her to be out during the day until she is past her destructive puppy phase and so she must get used to her crate.

When she is a little bit older, she will be allowed to sleep anywhere she wants but for now, the crate is it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:37 pm
BD,
(assuming the crate is in a different room), is there room in your bedroom for it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:41 pm
Can you keep her confined to one, relatively doggie-proof room, rather than the crate?

Like put up doggie doors in the kitchen, make a little bed for her there?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:42 pm
bd wrote : "she should be sleeping. "

perhaps she just isn't tired . tired dogs will usually sleep anyplace/anytime .
does she sleep when you let her out of the crate ?

is the crate plenty big , so that she can stretch out comfortably ? can she move around in her crate ?

is there something in the crate that 'annoys' her ?
any strange smell , something sticking out ?

does she willingly go into the crate or do you have to coax/push her ?

bailey (ehbeth's dog) would sometimes go into the crate by himself if he wanted peace and quiet . he will sometimes go into the spare room and curl up on a nice soft chair 'to have some peace and quiet' .

is she in heat ?

perhaps put her on the internet, so she can tell us what she wants !

hope you find out soon what the 'complaint' is !
hbg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:45 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
BD,
(assuming the crate is in a different room), is there room in your bedroom for it?

Yes, she is in the bedroom with us.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:52 pm
sozobe wrote:
Can you keep her confined to one, relatively doggie-proof room, rather than the crate?

Like put up doggie doors in the kitchen, make a little bed for her there?

She can jump over/knock down baby gates. And the crates initial purpose is to house train her; she won't go where she sleeps so she learns to hold it and let us know when she has to go. If she were free roaming during the day, we'd never get her house trained. Or it would be harder. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:54 pm
Hmm, I'll leave it to the experts. Long time since I had a puppy.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:58 pm
Put a sheet over the crate so she cannot see out when you want her to be quiet. When you put the sheet on tell her "enough" or "that will do" which will indicate you want her to stop her curent behavior. Lack of stimulation can quiet them and that is the purpose of the sheet.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 04:00 pm
hamburger wrote:
bd wrote : "she should be sleeping. "

perhaps she just isn't tired . tired dogs will usually sleep anyplace/anytime .
does she sleep when you let her out of the crate ?

She will be sleeping so hard I can carry her half way up the stairs before we wakes up but the minute she is in that crate, bark bark bark bark bark!

And before it was a little whining in protest but now...holy crap.

hamburger wrote:

is the crate plenty big , so that she can stretch out comfortably ? can she move around in her crate ?

It was divided in half because she was so small and the vet said that puppies feel more comfortable when the space around them is nice and cozy. It is also recommended that you keep it so that they can't pee in a far coner and then sleep in the other. That way, if they mess where they sleep, it makes them angry and unhappy and they won't do it again.

But now that she hasn't had an accident in about 4-5 days, and none in her crate since the second day we had her, I open it up all the way for her. It's for a full size dog so she has lots of room.

hamburger wrote:

is there something in the crate that 'annoys' her ?
any strange smell , something sticking out ?

When it started, there was nothing different about her crate. On Saturday, she got a new bed (nice and fluffy) but on Wed when it started, nothing was different.

hamburger wrote:

does she willingly go into the crate or do you have to coax/push her ?

Ha! No, we have to put her in. She has gone in there a few times by herself while we were just hanging around upstairs. But ran back out. She did lay down in there when I climbed in. I wanted to see what she was seeing. I know, I am a dork but it was really comfy. :wink: Laughing
[/quote]

hamburger wrote:

is she in heat ?

God I hope not. She's 11 weeks old!

hamburger wrote:

perhaps put her on the internet, so she can tell us what she wants !

hope you find out soon what the 'complaint' is !
hbg

I wish she could tell me what's wrong. Maybe she's just being a little ****. Or maybe she is really scared of her crate for some reason. Maybe she just wants attention. I don't know.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 04:01 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Put a sheet over the crate so she cannot see out when you want her to be quiet. When you put the sheet on tell her "enough" or "that will do" which will indicate you want her to stop her curent behavior. Lack of stimulation can quiet them and that is the purpose of the sheet.

Got it on there. I think it makes it worse that she can't see us. I don't know.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 04:02 pm
sozobe wrote:
Hmm, I'll leave it to the experts. Long time since I had a puppy.

Laughing

The problem is that the "experts" don't have to live with a disgruntled dog.

And since every dog is different, who knows.

We might be allowing her that bedroom floor sleeping privledge sooner than later, considering that she hasn't had an accident in a few days. However, the accidents she did have were upstairs. She hasn't figured out that the door is downstairs.
Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 04:05 pm
Bella Dea,

Is there a reason she HAS to be in the crate? I'm not up on all this so I don't know. It does sound like she just does not like the crate.

Also, are there any new animals in your area? Anyone with a new cat, dog, etc? Have you talked to the vet? Sometimes dogs bark like this when something is wrong with them.

It could be so many different things, Bella. I would definitely check with the vet first. Then if she doesn't HAVE to be in that crate, try leaving her out of it and getting used to being out of it. Who knows, maybe she's saying, "And I'm not going back into that crate!" Laughing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 04:15 pm
it sounds like she wants attention, and/or she thinks she's outgrown the crate.

how about this?
as an experiment, let her sleep on the bedroom floor tonight, with the door closed so she can't roam around the house...
0 Replies