Benjamin Franklin

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 02:32 pm
Today I just realized that Ben Franklin committed (no doubt intentionally) a most often overlooked triple intendre in a quote:

"Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise." :wink:

http://www.goblinville.com/downloads/new-graphics/lightning/lightning8.gif

He is right, though. Today I've resolved to take his advice and start getting to bed earlier at night, so that I can have an earlier start in the mornings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,188 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 02:35 pm
yeah, that's why he created daylight savings time.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 02:48 pm
Well...

Origin (of Daylight Savings Time from Answers.com)

It is sometimes asserted that DST was first proposed by Benjamin Franklin in a letter to the editors of the Journal of Paris. However, the article was humorous; Franklin was not proposing DST, but rather that people should get up and go to bed earlier.

It was first seriously proposed by William Willett in the "Waste of Daylight", published in 1907, but he was unable to get the British government to adopt it despite considerable lobbying.

The idea of daylight saving time was first put into practice by the German government during the First World War between April 30 and October 1, 1916. Shortly afterward, the United Kingdom followed suit, first adopting DST between May 21 and October 1, 1916. Then on March 19, 1918, the U.S. Congress established several time zones (which were already in use by railroads and most cities since 1883) and made daylight saving time official (which went into effect on March 31) for the remainder of World War I. It was observed for seven months in 1918 and 1919. The law, however, proved so unpopular (mostly because people rose and went to bed earlier than in current times) that the law was later repealed.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:13 pm
I agree PS.You should be in bed earlier than you have been.

If I was there I would go for about three in the afternoon assuming your avvie is not too much of an exaggeration.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:25 pm
Benjamin Franklin
http://library.thinkquest.org/22254/homeben.gif

An Enlightened American

Benjamin Franklin

What Makes a Leader?

intelligence, passion, strength, devotion, charisma,
tenacity, perseverance, generosity, forgiveness

Franklin possessed all of these qualities and that is why he is considered to be one of the greatest American minds and a proud pillar of our national heritage. However, our affinity for Franklin extends deeper. He seems to embody and personify the American dream. Born the son of a candlemaker, few people would have surmised that Franklin would master so many disciplines. His story proves that with determination and dedication, success is within anyone's grasp. A leading American statesman, inventor, philanthropist, publisher, revolutionary, and thinker, Benjamin Franklin was truly the Enlightened American.

Biography - Venture into the life of Benjamin Franklin. Celebrate his accomplishments, and discover his fascinating experiences of epic proportions. Filled with heroism, tragedy, and ultimately triumph, Franklin's tale continues to inspire us all. The story of a man who savored life to the last drop, Franklin's biography, more than legendary, has the potential to change our perceptions and way of thinking. After reading this, you may never be the same again.

Complete Works - Benjamin Franklin's wit invariably found its way into his prolific writing. In this section, we present complete works authored by Benjamin Franklin so one may discover his ideas and motives first-hand.

Inventions - Ingenuity, Creativity, and Curiosity: These traits define the world's greatest innovators. Franklin, one of history's most prolific inventors, possessed all three qualities in great abundance. An experimentalist, theoretician, philosopher, and scientist, he developed many fundamental ideas we take for granted today. Take a glimpse at the creative mind of Benjamin Franklin!

Quotations - Individuals are judged not only by their actions, but by their words as well. Franklin's discussions offer us an intriguing insight into the enlightened American's personality. Visit the Quotations page to discover life in his own words. If you examine it, you will be astonished to discover how many household sayings are originally attributed to Benjamin Franklin.

Wit & Humor - Benjamin's Life is replete with interesting and often humorous anecdotes. A man of sharp wit, his personal experiences still have the potential to make us smile and maybe even laugh.

Interesting Facts - Learn the nuances of Benjamin Franklin's life. In this section, you will have the opportunity to discover interesting tidbits of information relating to Franklin and the historic time period.

Genealogy - Trace Benjamin Franklin's roots! Are you related to the Enlightened American???

References - and levels, we have View our list of sources and our suggestions for recommended reading. As this site is intended for users of all ages evaluated our references on the basis of content and readability for the intended audience. Take advantage of our suggestions in your further explorations of Benjamin Franklin.

Guestbook - Please sign our guest book!!!! We welcome your comments, suggestions, criticism, and encouragement!

About - This is your opportunity to meet the publishers of the page, learn our motivations behind the project, and discover how we created our site.

Search - Search our entire Benjamin Franklin site to find the information you are looking for!!!!!

Award Gallery - - View the honors and awards this website has received for its excellence in examining the life of Benjamin Franklin.

source: http://library.thinkquest.org/22254/home.htm

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:31 pm
Benjamin Franklin
spendius wrote:
I agree PS.You should be in bed earlier than you have been.

If I was there I would go for about three in the afternoon assuming your avvie is not too much of an exaggeration.

hmmm... Well, spendius, 3 PM is entirely too early since I go to bed with only myself. Smile
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:39 pm
Benjamin Franklin
Here is the corrected link...

Wit & Humor - Benjamin's Life is replete with interesting and often humorous anecdotes. A man of sharp wit, his personal experiences still have the potential to make us smile and maybe even laugh.

http://library.thinkquest.org/22254/frwit&h.htm
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:47 pm
"A penny saved is a penny earned."

Razz
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:54 pm
Bejamin Franklin is pudgy and bald and the chicks still dig him. Now thats a bad as$ dude.

"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
-Benjamin Franklin
0 Replies