Building a Skills Set

jespah

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:09 am
I have perhaps an odd mix of skills. I know SQL and Perl (still learning Perl), I have Oracle database administrator training that I have not yet used, really, and I know a smattering of Visio and can start up Linux without setting fire to the office. Also, I'm a power user of Excel and Word, and was a power user of Brio Query (now called Hyperion), but it's been a while since I used it so I imagine I'm a bit rusty. Plus, I have a law degree and practiced law for three years, but that was back in the late 80s/early 90s. I am also an Internet researcher and have done informal IT training. I have no problem with public speaking.

Currently, I'm working more on learning Linux, which is what my company wants me to do. But, since I'm a contractor, job security can be fleeting. Any suggestions, if this gig doesn't work out, of what kind of additional training I should get?

My background is mainly business analysis and databases although currently I am a voice recognition engineer, which is a real niche kind of job. I like doing voice rec but I'm not kidding myself -- there just aren't a lot of jobs out there. Hence if I had to ramp up a job search, it would probably be for business or database analysis. But, what would tie it all together? More Linux? More Perl? Back to Oracle school for more DBA training?

I suspect more Linux and Perl are in my future, but any and all suggestions, even whimsical ones, are welcome. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,471 • Replies: 1
No top replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 04:53 pm
Hello, How are you doing?
Hello, this is awesome! You have quite a bit of knowledge in technical community. It is very inspirational, I am a Technical Writer myself, and would love to learn more about what you do exactly. I do not really have many suggestions, other than learn Pearl, Linux. I am trying to learn programming it's very tough. Anyways, I am done rambling, would you and I be able to speak somehow? Thank You!

Keep up the inspirational work.

Leon
0 Replies