Its Time. Get Rid of 1/10 Cent Gasoline Pricing!

H2O MAN

Sun 8 May, 2011 04:44 pm
@reasoning logic,
You need to clear your mind of the liberal bullshit it is filled with and step outside your
protective bubble... I'm sure this will take a great deal of time and effort on your part.
reasoning logic

Sun 8 May, 2011 04:53 pm
@H2O MAN,
If you will not attempt to try and answer any of my question then I can only see it as though you are not willing to be intellectually honest with yourself and that I will go no where in a conversation with you!

Last chance to make an effort!
RABEL222

Sun 8 May, 2011 08:21 pm
@reasoning logic,
The really funny part of this post between you and waterman is that because you have stopped beating your head against the wall of watermans idiot posts he thinks he has won.
0 Replies

parados

Sun 8 May, 2011 08:24 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Parasite, you can't be serious!
It comes as no surprise that you are incorrect once again.

The word 'Democrat' as used in American history was/is definitely an epithet
and it refers to 'one who panders to the crude and mindless whims of the masses.

Actually, if you bothered to read the link I posted which is the source for you quote, you will find that it was NOT Americans that referred to democrats as pandering to the mindless whims of the masses. It was the writers in England that did so.

Quote:
the initial identification of the colonial population as "Americans" came from English writers who used the term negatively, as a way of referring to a marginal or peripheral population unworthy of equal status with full-blooded Englishmen back at the metropolitan center of the British Empire. The word was uttered and heard as an insult that designated an inferior or subordinate people. The entire thrust of the colonists' justification for independence was to reject that designation on the grounds that they possessed all the rights of British citizens. And the ultimate source of these rights did not lie in any indigenously American origins, but rather in a transcendent realm of natural rights allegedly shared by all men everywhere. At least at the level of language, then, we need to recover the eighteenth-century context of things and not read back into those years the hallowed meanings they would acquire over the next century. The term American, like the term democrat, began as an epithet, the former referring to an inferior, provincial creature, the latter to one who panders to the crude and mindless whims of the masses. At both the social and verbal levels, in short, an American nation remained a precarious and highly problematic project—at best a work in progress.

So as you see squirt. You are on the side of the Royalists in using that word.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 9 May, 2011 08:13 am

It's funny as hell how you lefties ignore the truth and press on with your collective ignorance.

Please continue.
0 Replies

panzade

Mon 9 May, 2011 08:20 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Do you know where I can buy gas at $3.989 per gal.

I bought it at $3.839 yesterday...maybe because:

Special report: What really triggered oil's greatest rout

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_financial_oil_rout
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 9 May, 2011 08:26 am
Some are now saying gas prices will drop back down to $3.50 per gallon in a month or so.
This may happen because demand has fallen, but I bet it will be as short lived as Obama's Osama bump in the polls.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 May, 2011 08:32 am
@H2O MAN,
I do wonder, why the gas price here is going down rapidly due fallen oil price .... (At least that's what the oil company say)

0 Replies

okie

Mon 9 May, 2011 09:31 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
gas at 3.989 will draw more customers than gas at 3.999.
Your arguments make no sense okie.
You have to have some sense for them to make sense. The point is that if gasoline had to be priced in whole cents per gallon, the retailer can go one of two ways, they can raise their price 1/10 of a cent, for example from $3.69 and 9/10 cent to $3.70 per gallon, which is what it essentially was anyway. However, due to competition, somebody across the street or down the street will probably price their gasoline at $3.69 per gallon, perhaps by dropping their price 9/10 of a cent. As a result, they will sell alot more gasoline at $3.69 than their competitor will at $3.70. It is my opinion that a more honest and ethical pricing atmosphere will create a more healthy competitiveness in pricing.
okie

Mon 9 May, 2011 09:36 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Some are now saying gas prices will drop back down to $3.50 per gallon in a month or so.
And those saying that really mean $3.51 per gallon essentially, because $3.50 9/10 cents is virtually the same as $3.51. Your comment underscores why we need more honesty and ethics in pricing.
parados

Tue 10 May, 2011 07:33 am
@okie,
Well okie..
They are free to do anything they want.

A gas station can charge 3.89 compared to the 3.899 for the station across the street. But the station across the street can easily lower their price to 3.889

Which gas would you buy and why?
3.89 or 3.889?
Which do you think most consumers would buy?

0 Replies

parados

Tue 10 May, 2011 07:34 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

And those saying that really mean $3.51 per gallon essentially, because $3.50 9/10 cents is virtually the same as $3.51. Your comment underscores why we need more honesty and ethics in pricing.

You need more honesty in your arguments okie. Posting the price they charge per gallon is NOT dishonesty.

Accusing them of dishonesty would be the only dishonest part I see.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 10 May, 2011 11:10 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

The point is that if gasoline had to be priced in whole cents per gallon, the retailer can go one of two ways, they can raise their price 1/10 of a cent, for example from $3.69 and 9/10 cent to $3.70 per gallon, which is what it essentially was anyway. However, due to competition, somebody across the street or down the street will probably price their gasoline at $3.69 per gallon, perhaps by dropping their price 9/10 of a cent. As a result, they will sell alot more gasoline at $3.69 than their competitor will at $3.70. It is my opinion that a more honest and ethical pricing atmosphere will create a more healthy competitiveness in pricing.

If that were true, they would drop their price today to $3.689 and reap the benefit today. The reality is that stations make $0.10-$0.15 / gallon on gas. Changing the price at $0.001 per gallon is noticable, but not too bad. Changing the price by $0.009 is a 6-9% hit to their profit margin and that is not going to happen when especially when the station owner knows that if he does it, his competitor across the street will just follow suit.

Gas prices are one place where there is already very healthy competition in pricing. I don't see any way forcing a pricing structure change will change that for better or worse.
okie

Tue 10 May, 2011 08:54 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Gas prices are one place where there is already very healthy competition in pricing. I don't see any way forcing a pricing structure change will change that for better or worse.
But at least the consumer could be treated to an honest and ethical price structure, instead of the phony 9/10 of a cent, which is essentially another penny per gallon.

Another issue about this that I think would be interesting; It would probably take a statistical analysis to figure it out, but I bet that the majority of gasoline purchases are rounded up to the next penny, instead of downward, because of the math associated with multiples of 9/10 of a penny. Taken in aggregate, it probably amounts to millions of dollars per day or at least per month across the country.

Another tangent thought about this, a few years ago I had access to a calibration container, and just out of my own curiosity I took it to a couple of filling stations and filled it to the calibrated volume of I think 5 gallons. I wanted to see if the flow meters on the pumps were actually close to accurate. Guess what, they were close, but I did find that a couple of pumps I tested were off a tiny bit, probably the equivalent of enough volume to equal a penny a gallon. I found this to be interesting because I've known people that will drive 35 miles to another town to buy gas at a penny a gallon less. The whole thing is totally laughable that the stations are pricing the gasoline in tenths of a penny, when they can't even measure the fluid down to an accuracy of the equivalent of a tenth of a penny. That little exercise helped convince me that it is time to end this insanity of pricing in nine tenths of a penny.
reasoning logic

Tue 10 May, 2011 08:58 pm
@okie,
Quote:
I've known people that will drive 35 miles to another town to buy gas at a penny a gallon less

Are you being honest about that?

I am proud to say that I do not know of anyone that I have ever met that would do that!
okie

Tue 10 May, 2011 09:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Quote:
I've known people that will drive 35 miles to another town to buy gas at a penny a gallon less
Are you being honest about that?
Yes, I used to have an employee, a very smart person by the way, and an engineer by training. To qualify my statement, he claimed he liked to drive to the town anyway to do some shopping, so he would make a point of filling up with gas while there. I openly derided him and pointed out he was going to save a whole quarter or so, which was meaningless. And after all he had plenty of money anyway. However, I think the guy grew up having to be tight, and perhaps his parents lived through the depression, and he was just naturally frugal.

Personally, I think trying to save a penny or two on gas is pretty silly and a waste of time. I do not waste time worrying about a penny or two, unless I am driving through areas I am not familiar with and when given a clear choice, I might turn into a place that has a slightly lower price if it looks like a decent outlet. Maybe the savings will pay for a candy bar inside the store, especially if I am driving my vehicle that takes more to top it off.
Jacob Johnson

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 09:11 am
@okie,
Thing is, this isn't really a very important issue
roger

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 01:16 pm
@okie,
Well, yeah. We've a supermarket (Smith's) that gives a discount on gas if you spend enough on groceries. Now, I normally fill the tank when it's down 5 or 6 gallons. Trust me, $.60 savings on gas every month or so just isn't going to influence what I buy. Maybe if I were buying groceries for six kids and had a Ford Expedition or something. . . .
0 Replies

okie

Sat 9 Jul, 2011 11:11 am
@Jacob Johnson,
Jacob Johnson wrote:

Thing is, this isn't really a very important issue
I believe it is important because it goes to the heart of treating customers with decency and respect. No self respecting merchant should price anything in tenths of a penny at the retail level. For example, when was the least time you saw a gallon of milk priced in dollars, cents, and tenth of a cent? And when have you seen a hamburger priced at 99 and 9/10 cent or $1.99 and 9/10 cent, for example? This issue comes under the heading of "fairness of pricing" or "fairness in advertising," or some such thing.
Cycloptichorn

Sat 9 Jul, 2011 11:13 am
@okie,
Welcome back, Okie, after nearly a month of absence.

I hope life has been treating you well in the meantime...

Cycloptichorn