Ignorance Of Man’s True World

seaglass

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:49 pm
100% Postmodernist

Postmoderniam is the belief in complete open interpretation. You see the universe as a collection of information with varing ways of putting it together. There is no absolute truth for you; even the most hardened facts are open to interpretation. Meaning relies on context and even the language you use to describe things should be subject to analysis.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:52 pm
oh my gawd you mean that is the real me? Or is this one of those wierdo dating sites.

Your laboratory or mine?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:38 am
You scored as Materialist.

Materialism stresses the essence of fundamental particles. Everything that exists is purely physical matter and there is no special force that holds life together. You believe that anything can be explained by breaking it up into its pieces. i.e. the big picture can be understood by its smaller elements.

Materialist 100%
Modernist 88%
Existentialist 81%
Postmodernist 75%
Cultural Creative 38%
Fundamentalist 19%
Idealist 13%
Romanticist 0%
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 01:15 am
You scored as Cultural Creative.

Cultural Creatives are probably the newest group to enter this realm. You are a modern thinker who tends to shy away from organized religion but still feels as if there is something greater than ourselves. You are very spiritual, even if you are not religious. Life has a meaning outside of the rational.

Cultural Creative

69%
Idealist

50%
Fundamentalist

44%
Materialist

44%
Postmodernist

44%
Existentialist

38%
Romanticist

38%
Modernist

31%
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:01 am
Another Cultural Creative here.

Cultural Creative 88%
Postmodernist 63%
Idealist 50%
Existentialist 38%
Modernist 38%
Fundamentalist 25%
Romanticist 25%
Materialist 0%
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:04 am
Great minds ;-)
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:33 am
Aha Chumly now that I have found out that I am a post modernist I am inclined to think that the fly in the ointment is language.

Perhaps language is the culprit in man's evolving toward and being able to utilize fully our brain capacity cutting us off from our natural sensistory abilities , i.e., esp., and what are considered paranormal experiences are natural gifts and there again we have lost the ability to utilize these gifts and are overworking and under-utilizing the brain in an attempt to communicate and verbalize universal concepts.

Perhaps language is akin to the appendix. Something we obviously don't need.

We don't fully utilize our brain capacity because we are too busy running our mouths.

I have a paraplegic grandchild. A brilliant mind trapped in a wasted body because of a car accident. I verbalize, she transmits. It's eerie.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:24 am
Chumly wrote:
Yes but if you were to learn about technologic underpinnings then the open question is how it would change your mindset.

This thought intrigues me, because I can see value in what you are saying. Practically and otherwise. Probably for different reasons and with different intentions though. Laughing

If a individual knows how basic things work - said person is more self-sufficient. Though they may want the fancy gadgets or toys or convenience of technology; they don't need it. They know how to meet their needs in other ways.
Technology is so speedy. Most of the 'things' in our world we would not, as individuals, be able to create or fix or possibly even replace with something else to fill the need. It is somewhat creepy how dependent a large percentage of people have become on 'things'. And I'm not talking about accumulation of products here.

Anyways, I like this thread.

I scored as Postmodernist - 88%

Postmodernism is the belief in complete open interpretation. You see the universe as a collection of information with varying ways of putting it together. There is no absolute truth for you; even the most hardened facts are open to interpretation. Meaning relies on context and even the language you use to describe things should be subject to analysis.

Seaglass. Fascinating post. I like the cut of your jibe.

:wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:55 am
Know your refrigerator and The Truth Shall Set You Free Smile
Chumly wrote:
Yes but if you were to learn about technologic underpinnings then the open question is how it would change your mindset.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 11:42 am
You scored as Existentialist.

Existentialism emphasizes human capability. There is no greater power interfering with life and thus it is up to us to make things happen. Sometimes considered a negative and depressing world view, your optimism towards human accomplishment is immense. Mankind is condemned to be free and must accept the responsibility.

Existentialist 100%
Materialist 81%
Modernist 75%
Cultural Creative 69%
Idealist 50%
Postmodernist 44%
Fundamentalist 31%
Romanticist 6%

Robert A. Heinlein wrote:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

I figure that the more I learn about how the universe and its subsystems work, the better able I will be to live in it. And that's the whole point, isn't it - to live the best life we can, however we define it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 01:32 pm
I've read most of Heinlein's stuff, and know some of his bio being a classic SF guy. And you know, I don't think his expectations are unreasonable.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:25 pm
Cultural Creative....88%
Existentialist....69%
Postmodernist....63%
Idealist....50%
Materialist....44%
Modernist....38%
Fundamentalist....31%
Romanticist....25%
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 04:13 pm
For a large part of Isaac Newton's life his time and energy was devoted to fruitless alchemy experiments and efforts to interpret Biblical prophecy.

Isaac Newton's handwritten manuscripts on those topics far exceed his writings about physics. It is sad to envision the discoveries in mathematics and physics Newton might have made if his great intellect had not been diverted by such bizarre speculations.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 06:49 pm
Chumly,

I would argue that only a creative and unfettered imagination such as that possessed by Newton would allow such discoveries as those he made.

It's like you are saying ( with the benefit of hindsight ), if only he'd looked in the correct part of the haystack he would have found the needle in no time!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 08:18 pm
I agree you have to allow free range, even if it means free range turkeys Smile

My point was not so much lost potential, as it was how even the best and brightest can so easily get lost, if the context is not in their favor.

Although I think it's fair to say that hindsight is the best arbiter in these cases, don't you?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 08:33 pm
Agreed Smile
0 Replies