Ignorance Of Man’s True World

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:17 pm
It always amazes how some can trumpet their claimed worldly acumen, and beat the drums of their cherished idealisms, and then almost in the same breath, without even a hint of awkwardness, say they don't have a clue how a car engine works, and have no interest in finding out, let alone would want to change the sparkplugs.

If pressed, many of these people would claim that should they stoop to learning further about our common technological underpinnings, it would have no effect whatsoever on their worldly acumen and cherished idealisms.

Know How To Get Your Hands Dirty, Or You Don't Really Know Jack!

(well that's kind'a extreme but you get the point)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,578 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:18 pm
I run a homeless cat shelter, Chumly. I KNOW how to get my hands dirty. But, I don't know jack about cars and don't want to. That's hubby's territory. Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:57 pm
Well I meant more in the sense of our technologic underpinnings than keeping our feline friends happy, not to diminish your good work of course.

You do make my point to some degree about cars for example, although there is quite often a sexualized underpinning to that bias as well.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:24 pm
Do I know how to check my own oil? Yes

Do I know how to check my transmission fluid? Yes

Do I know when the alternator is draining my battery and i have to get a new one ( and why) Yes

Do I know how much air to keep in my tires to keep
them balanced properly Yes

Do I know where to put the brake fluid Yes

Do I know how to change a tire Yes

Do I know where to put the windshield fluid Yes

I have helped change a tie rod, rotated tires, installed a motor and lifter on the drivers side of my Toyata Suv and when I get back to Paradise i will putting in new/used quarter windows, again on the driver's side. The old ones were attached by a tree branch off-roading in Volcano National Park and shattered.

Is this what you are talking about Chumly and in addition I am 100 percent girly-girl. A little long in the tooth, but that's okay.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:28 pm
You're my baby!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:30 pm
Happy Birthday BTW Seaglass! Man, I can check the oil and that's about it.

It all comes down to everyone can't learn how to do everything, Chumly. We all have different things that are our forte and things that aren't.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:35 pm
Yes but if you were to learn about technologic underpinnings then the open question is how it would change your mindset.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:38 pm
Chumly,

How is my understanding how an engine runs for example going to change my mindset? I know it works.

I know my refrigerator works. I don't know how, I just do. I cannot possibly know how everything works. No one can.

I get brain overload sometimes just from some of these discussions much less figuring out how a car engine actually works.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:47 pm
By removing mystery and replacing it with fact.
By empowering yourself to control certain aspects.

Think of the car as allegorical not literal.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:53 pm
I'm not thinking of the car literally, Chumly. I think I'm understanding you here. Well, I thought I was understanding. Maybe I'm not.

So, break it down for me in really simplistic terms. Remember, I'm getting old and set in my ways and sometimes it's hard to learn how to think a different way. Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:02 pm
First you would need to define your present world view.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:16 pm
http://www.smileys.ws/smls/yahoo/00000017.gifChumly, I love you to death and your threads absolutely fascinate me. However, you need to keep in mind that I am a 50 year old woman that hasn't been to school since I can't remember when!

Even the way people debate and discuss has changed from what I learned. I need details, Chumly! World view? World view of what? Engines? The world? Politics?

I really do want to understand what you are getting at because like I said, your threads fascinate me and I know my mind will be expanded (if not by knowledge then it's going to blow up from frustration! Laughing )
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:19 pm
when I first went off to college, I took a class in physics. The prof, a very disguished man, a noted Phd. came into the classroom and switched the light off and on several times and then asked "do you know how that works?" noone answered, he then responded "noone really knows, it's mostly magic." Best lesson I ever had in physics.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:20 pm
Now, THAT I can understand!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:21 pm
Kind'a long-winded but kind'a OK

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/WORLVIEW.html
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:25 pm
Reading. Will get back to you on this.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:26 pm
What is Your World View?

http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=23320
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:32 pm
Ok, I took the shortcut. I read a bunch of that and then I took the test . This is what I scored, so I guess this is my world view. Laughing

You scored as Romanticist.

Romanticism encourages society to look backwards to find our solutions. Your rationale is that things were much better a few hundred years ago so we should thus look back to those times and replace them in our modern society. You believe in a simple life and that the complexities of the modern world have turned it upside down.

Romanticist 75%
Fundamentalist 63%
Cultural Creative 44%
Postmodernist 44%
Existentialist 19%
Materialist 6%
Modernist 0%
Idealist 0%
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:39 pm
You scored as Cultural Creative.

Cultural Creatives are probably the newest group to enter this realm. You are a modern thinker who tends to shy away from organized religion but still feels as if there is something greater than ourselves. You are very spiritual, even if you are not religious. Life has a meaning outside of the rational.

Cultural Creative
81%

Existentialist
69%

Postmodernist
50%

Modernist
50%

Idealist
44%

Materialist
31%

Romanticist
31%

Fundamentalist
13%

Wow. I've been pigeon-holed.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:12 pm
dyslexia wrote:
when I first went off to college, I took a class in physics. The prof, a very disguished man, a noted Phd. came into the classroom and switched the light off and on several times and then asked "do you know how that works?" noone answered, he then responded "noone really knows, it's mostly magic." Best lesson I ever had in physics.
I would have countered with "we know enough to build and use light generating devices and all that it implies for the present and future."

(well I might if I'd had a few beverages)
0 Replies