Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 02:32 pm
I haven't found an avatar which reflects some inner quality or idea I have of myself. My present one actually speaks to a negative image. I sleep a lot. Part of it is the depression which veils my behaviors; the other part is probably me...I don't know.

In someways, the personal avatar draws upon the mental sterotypes nutured by some of us. On Abuzz, the issues of race, religion, etc. gave way to the words of the postings. I sometimes wonder if the quality of some of the interactions were enhanced by the absent of prejudgement based on race, religion and such.

This is no beratement of A2K, merely, the mental musing of a fellow with lots of time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,758 • Replies: 104
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 02:46 pm
I like Rosie. I think she embodies a part of me that for some reason doesn't always come out in my writing -- a very no-nonsense, "you do NOT want to mess with me" aspect. I am famous for my Whithering Glare of Death, which is hard to convey online.

She is also not TOO threatening, though -- I like that balance.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 02:49 pm
Mapleleaf- I hear what you are saying, but I don't see how an avatar could indicate a religious bent- unless it contained an actual religious symbol. Race, sex yes. Again, one has to option of choosing an avatar that is gender and race neutral. I believe that you learn a little about an individual from his/her avatar, which can then be confirmed by the postings.

Actually Mapleleaf, I never figured your avatar as indicative of depression. To me, it seems more whimsical. If YOU perceive it in a negative light, my suggestion is for you to find one that would indicate a more positive aspect of your life and/or character. I think that if the sleeping dwarf is a negative image for you, seeing it next to your name all the time could result in a self fulfilling prophecy.

I'll bet that if you looked, you could find something that you would find uplifting every time that you saw it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 02:51 pm
Soz- I LOVE Rosie. She has the combination of strength and kindness.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 02:53 pm
Soz,
Was she part of the images produced during the WWII period? A time in which women stepped forward to do work normally done by men? Many stereotypes were challenged during those years.

Now that you mention it, she does have a strong glare, an element of strength. It would appear you were successful in your choice of an avatar.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:01 pm
Rosie is history!

http://www.rosietheriveter.org/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:16 pm
Who, me? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:16 pm
I laughed out loud when I first saw the picture I have used for my avatar. In that sense, yes it does reflect who I am, since humor is a very large part of my personality. I kid around that this is what I look like when I first wake-up in the morning. The sad thing is, that's not so far from the truth.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:19 pm
Heeven- The humor definitely comes through. Are you toothless in real life? Very Happy
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:20 pm
Phoenix,
I am referring to the increasing number of personal photographs used by the members. Again, I am just creating conversation.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:21 pm
Well, first I was a person in a red leather suit and a gas mask. That was my dumpster diving suit designed after being attacked by a dumpster on Abuzz.

Then, I was a typing penguin, but New Haven stole my avatar and refused to acknowledge me (NH, if you're reading this, go jump in a lake, preferably a cesspool).

Now, iz me. Well, sort of.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:22 pm
Toothless? Friggin' cheek!
Oh, but I got a wisdom tooth removed last month, so maybe I'm on the way ...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:22 pm
Gotta say, heeven, I have no image of you other than that damn emu (or is it an ostrich? -- I get fowled up...).

Interesting thought, maple, 'bout the iconography of the adopted avatars; do you feel like yours influences your responses in the forum? Do others' avatars color your own perceptions of their posts?

I find I just use them as a sort of quick way to figure who's who -- though it gets a bit confusing when folks are doubled up, per new haven / cjhsa and (formerly) maxsdadeo and ??? (blatham?)...
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:34 pm
I have to confess, maple, that I am not really looking into avatars as a meaning of me. I did consider looking for something gorgeous, but that's not me. My present one is the logo of a railroad I rode a lot when I was young.

Mostly, though, I discovered the world of avatars, gifs, and other sites out there, and they're fun for me to look at. If I find one I like, I use it for a while. It's become my sometimes hobby, although I was sorely tempted by a photo of Churchill.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:36 pm
This whole notion arose out of a discussion between Snood and I. In fact, I may pause to examine avatars of actual photographs of individuals. In my working days, my interpretations of people's body language played a large part in my behavior (facilitating discussions/projects). Soooo...I suppose there is some carry over.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:47 pm
hmmmm
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:48 pm
I like this topic.

I do think we get a little view of something about one another by the avatar.

During my first tour of A2K, I settled on a much more primitive, but similar avatar. She looked away, rather than 'making eye contact, and had uncut, mussier hair. She was largely devoid of nicities in her quest to speak to the point.

When I returned, I subconciously chose a slightly more kempt female with (borrowing from sozobe's observation) a disconcertingly direct gaze. I also re-arrived with more of an attempt to insert nicities in my convo.

Sort of funny that the avatar evolved slightly with my mode of interaction.

I think Slappy has a well-chosen avatar. Dlowen, also. That bunny hits the mark with her personality, IMO.

I hate that typing penguin. That is a cop out!

The bulging eyed baby? What characteristics have made it so popular? What does it say to those who have chosen it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:51 pm
I think it's especially popular among those who have "just hatched" and "newbie" designations. It goes. (That's how it was for me, anyway.) So far me, Gautam, Maxsdadeo, TechnoGuy Rob and Beach Bum have used it in that phase. (Forgetting anyone?)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 04:01 pm
Well, I must say, the clown with the 'eat s--t' sign certainly fits me, as my food and craft are very important to me. A personal photo wouldn't really make much sense. As 'newbie' I wanted the bunny, I must admit...but agreed to change after a sweet PM from dlowan. I am happy with the change Smile
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 04:02 pm
a-HA! Veddy reasonable answer.

soz, yours is one of my favorites. She's self-reliant and self-assured. It's Americana, to me.

YAY WOMAN!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » AVATARS AS A REFLECTION OF SELF
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 08:38:32