Which Is Your Favourite Horror Film?

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 11:50 am
Vote here for your favourite horror film. Feel free to leave a comment on which film you voted for and why.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 908 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:47 am
Welcome to A2K, olidude, and I hope you get enough response to so many posted polls -- they've all been on our pages before so don't expect too much.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:03 am
I love SOTL, I could watch it constantly but I dont find it scary.

I was surprised The Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasnt on there.It should be as it scares the b'jesus out of me!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:08 am
Or my other favorite, Mel Gibson's

"The Texas Chainsaw Christ Massacre"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:30 am
I just can't pick one. I like Psycho, The Wicker Man, and Silence of the Lambs. I think that "Silence" is the most sophisticated of the three, although Psycho broke new ground when it was first released. The Wicker Man scared the sh!t out of me, and I don't scare easily!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:33 am
Ive heard of the Wicker man but never seen it.Im very tempted.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:38 am
"The Wicker Man" is one of the cerebral creepy films and is being remade with Nicholas Cage.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:39 am
Who recently showed up at my gallery asking, "Do you have any originals?" The front of the gallery was all originals and I pointed that out at which time, he and his new Asian girlfriend did an about face and walked out. I know I used underarm deodorant that day and, not to be catty, but Cage looks terrible in person.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:42 am
Lightwizard wrote:
"The Wicker Man" is one of the cerebral creepy films and is being remade with Nicholas Cage.

I don't want to give away the denouement, but the psychological implications of what is happening is what I found so terribly scary. I hope that Nicholas Cage is up to the job, and that the new version does not substitute gross horror for the subtilities of the earlier film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:46 am
It still has to be what you don't see and can only imagine! On the other thread, it's what makes "Vertigo" such a great film.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
Lightwizard wrote:
It still has to be what you don't see and can only imagine! On the other thread, it's what makes "Vertigo" such a great film.

Exactly- I think that it why I am not very enamoured of the "blood and guts" type of horror film. I am much more impressed by a storyteller and director who can make your own mind give you the creepies, rather than them spelling it out to you on the screen.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:16 am
Which is why Robert Wise's black-and-white "The Haunting" is one of the best. It's even been copied in Disneyland's Haunted House (the bulging doors) and unfortunately had to endure a very bad remake. "The Innocents" is another subtly disturbing film with a finale that knocks one for a loop.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055018/
0 Replies

danny boy

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 05:06 pm
What am I the only person to have seen 'the wicker man' its scarey because its not contrieved or far fetched.......
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:07 pm
danny_boy wrote:
What am I the only person to have seen 'the wicker man' its scarey because its not contrieved or far fetched.......

Did you read the first page of this thread? Wicker Man is my favorite horror flick!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:40 pm
I love 'Saw'...never did I see the end coming, that was a brilliant film just in the way it kept me thinking constantly
0 Replies

olidude171717

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 11:01 am
Ah yes Saw was good. I have the Wicker Man on DVD but havent got round to watching it yet. I will do some time soon. And i think the original Haunting is great for the exact reasons you said, you don't actually see any gross scenes, its what you imagine in your head that is scary, and all the suspense. I have seen The Haunting Remake(1999) which was absolutely awful, full of CGI that wasnt scary at all.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 01:08 pm
material girl wrote:
I was surprised The Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasnt on there.It should be as it scares the b'jesus out of me!!!

ya seriously
0 Replies