The Matrix

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 02:40 am
In my opinion, the best movie ever made. The CG, the story, the martial arts, and most importantly the philosophy behind it.

What are your thoughts on the philosophy behind the matrix? It is obviously very possible and it would be almost humorous if it was.

Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,523 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Jim

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 07:50 am
I guess I'm just a contrarian. I thought "The Matrix" was OK, but I didn't enjoy it as much as you seem to have.

At about the same time a somewhat similar movie came out "The 13th Floor". I thought it was a lot better.
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:31 am
"The 13th Floor". Was that the one where they weren't allowed to leave the city or something? I vaguely remember that one.

I liked "The Matrix", too, but not sure I'd even put it in the top 50 best movies. It's escapism, though a bit more creative than the norm. My question is why would they want to leave the Matrix. Seems the world they occupy when they escape isn't a happy place or fun place. What to the expect to do once the machines are defeated? Perhaps I should wait for next movies. They might answer a whole bunch of questions.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:40 am
I have mixed feelings about "The Matrix".

It starts out great. The philosophical idea of us living in a virtual world, confusing it for reality. Plato turned into a nightmare.
Also, the big dilemma: what do I prefer, to enjoy a virtual steak so juicy it confounds my senses or to live the harsch, dismal reality?

But I think it's solved the easy, commercial, way: "Everybody was Kung Fu fighting, those kids were fast as lightning. In fact it was a little bit fright'ning, but they did it with expert timing".
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 10:03 am
I think the Matrix will become a classic turning point .
0 Replies

hodgepodge

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 12:04 pm
BeachBum wrote:
"The 13th Floor". Was that the one where they weren't allowed to leave the city or something? I vaguely remember that one.

I liked "The Matrix", too, but not sure I'd even put it in the top 50 best movies. It's escapism, though a bit more creative than the norm. My question is why would they want to leave the Matrix. Seems the world they occupy when they escape isn't a happy place or fun place. What to the expect to do once the machines are defeated? Perhaps I should wait for next movies. They might answer a whole bunch of questions.

Well that's where alot of people asked themselves, "Which pill would I take?" If you found out that this world was fake and that the real world could be shown to you if you just asked, would you ask? I personally would. There are some, actually alot, who would go back to their dreamworld and just leave things alone. I think it has alot to do with freedom ie. if you were Neo and found out that the fate of the "real free world" depended on you, or that you could help the cause in anyway, wouldn't it kind of be your duty?

This upcoming one is about the machines burrowing down into earth trying to get to Zion, then the one after that is coming out in November is when they defeat the machines.

I can't wait anymore kfldja;lkfda Shocked
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 01:23 pm
Plus, there is the added benefit of doing Carrie Anne Moss. Hubba hubba....
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 02:45 pm
I agree about "the 13th floor". The special effects weren't as good, but the plot was better.

"Vanilla Sky" also involved a reality-within-reality that I thought was fun.

Re the Matrix: a great movie, but a lot of loopholes. Explain to me, for example, how can a pill that doesn't really exist wake me up from false reality?
0 Replies

hodgepodge

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 07:36 pm
Equus wrote:
I agree about "the 13th floor". The special effects weren't as good, but the plot was better.

"Vanilla Sky" also involved a reality-within-reality that I thought was fun.

Re the Matrix: a great movie, but a lot of loopholes. Explain to me, for example, how can a pill that doesn't really exist wake me up from false reality?

The answer to that is the same as when he says "I thought you said it wasn't real" when his lip is bleeding in real life when he jumped off the roof in the matrix. His mind makes it real. I think they said the pill changed his brain's alpha patterns in the matrix (drugs in the matrix would have the same effects as drugs in the real world) which helped them find him in the real world. Hope that answers your question Very Happy
0 Replies

dishpan

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 05:31 am
Phillip K. Dick certainly explored the question " Am I really who I think I am...and is my reality the one shared by all?" in many of his books. Movies like Bladerunner and Total Recall and that one with Gary Sinise (sp?) were all based along these Dickian plot lines. Persoanlly, I think this is a pertinant topic in these days of stay-at-home escapism and propaganda programming. I would expect to see more of Dick's books converted to film in the future. Persoanlly, I can't wait for these next two Matrix films!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 10:44 am
hodge..;

I would strongly suggest that you do some reading of the works of William Gibson who was the source of the Matrix concept.
His world is always based on the Matrix-like cyberworld that you liked so much; one of his short stories was also the "seed" for Johnny Nemonic.

There is so much good future (SF) fiction (not to mention there is so much bad!), and so few good movies to represent the ideas which, after all, should concern us; this is our future about which we ponder!
0 Replies