Discussion: Raising the bar for SFX in this season's sequels

dishpan

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 12:29 am
Remember how Terminator 2 and The Matrix created whole new levels of special effects for all the big budget films that followed? How successful do you think the new sequels will be at raising the bar this time? It seems like it would be tough to embrace a new approach to cinematography a second time in Matrix Reloaded (let alone in the third Matrix which was filmed at the same time). As far as the new Terminator movie goes, I heard they paid Arnie something like $50M just to reprise the role...how much $ can be left in the budget for the creation of groundbreaking and influential new SFX?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,173 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 01:15 am
I thought the latest trend was to cut out the actors all together and use cyber-actors. Betcha THEY won't be asking for $50m a film.

And anyway in the future pizza will be delivered by dudes like this...

http://www.sfpp.co.uk/bender/small/tn_living-the-high-life.jpg
0 Replies

dishpan

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 02:19 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:

And anyway in the future pizza will be delivered by dudes like this...

LOL! BTW, nice Clash sig, Mr Stillwater. When SANDINISTA came out I thought those guys were on their way to being the next Beatles. I miss Joe tho.... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 10:01 am
There's been some technical advances in CGI, most evident in the Gollum character in "The Two Towers." If one really considers how special effects were created in the past, CGI is much cheaper and more effective (sic). It's what the director contrives and how the effects fit into the film -- if they seem "tacked on," they don't look so good. The first CGI was in "Young Sherlock Holmes" and Spielberg was not sure what he had wrought.
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 10:38 am
There will always be something new to "WOW" us. First we thought T2 was it, then Titanic, then the Matrix, then Two Towers. It will be something else soon.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 12:05 pm
I saw X2 over the weekend. It was fun - a great popcorn movie. I didn't note any techological advances, though. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 09:11 am
I think the next pinacle will be "The Return of the King," the final film of "The Lord of the Rings" as the final battle at Minas Tirith will likely blow everyone away. "Matrix Reloaded" looks like there will be some new surealistic applications of CGI but making the fantasy become reality in the LOTR films is the best achievement in SFX to date.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:25 pm
I still need an interesting story, well-developed characters, talented actors and seasoned direction/editing. My son, who is a 34 year-old avid fan, thought MX-2 was a step up because of the character development. Me too. I am looking forward to THE RETURN OF THE KING; for me, the series is the total package.
0 Replies