Darin McGavin dies

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 09:50 am
Darin Mcgavin may be best know as the father in the Christmas Story film (about the boy wanting a bb [you'll put your eye out] gun).

Another actor who died last week is Gonzalez Gonzalez, who became popular enough as a contestant on You Bet Your Life (The Groucho Show) to be offered a contract with John Wayne's production company. He was the shipboard radio operator in The High and the Mighty.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 6,419 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 09:53 am
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0569000/

He had quite a career. He will be missed.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:09 am
Don Knotts is gone, as well. He gave me countless laughs and smiles. I still watch reruns, and I even bought some old DVD episodes.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:18 pm
I always picture McGavin in Night Stalker as Kolchak. That was the role which made me take notice of him.
2PacksAday

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 05:45 pm
Sturgis wrote:
I always picture McGavin in Night Stalker as Kolchak. That was the role which made me take notice of him.

Same here, loved that show.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 05:55 pm
Night Stalker rocked! I loved that show.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:04 pm
Me too.
Night Stalker was cool.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:48 am
Yep, Night Stalker. So much better than the remake.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:58 am
The new TV series looks like it has been cancelled. Darin had a way with that character, a sly humor injected into the mix. The original series has shown up on TV Land and I hope it returns.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:24 am
jespah wrote:
Yep, Night Stalker. So much better than the remake.

JayBea and I still watch the reruns when they are on. He was the classic!!

Anon
0 Replies

Bobby817654

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 12:54 am
Darin McGavin
Darin McGavin had what the hollywood stars used to have, work ethics, a learning of his craft, and an expectation that he won't be paid $20,000,000 a picture...he enjoyed what he did and made a lot of people happy in the process...whats wrong with todays "stars"? They have forgotten they have audiences...they are way too self centered with ten million awards being given to them every year, none of them has any value, bring back Darin, and Dennis Weaver and Tony Franciosa, Shelley Winters, and Don Knotts...all died this year already...now they could entertain!!!
0 Replies

Dancin51

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:22 pm
Darin McGavin also appeared in the movie "The Natural" with Robert Redford, Robert Duval, etc. but was not listed in the credits. Anybody know why?
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:47 pm
@Dancin51,
From IMDB:

Quote:
He was indeed "curiously" uncredited in The Natural (1984). During the filming of the movie, Robert Redford was so pleased with McGavin's portrayal of his character that they began to expand the role. However, after a certain point, union rules dictated that the actor's contract needed to be renegotiated for salary and billing. After haggling on salary, and holding up production of the movie because of it, the billing had to be decided. Apparently, McGavin became somewhat fed up with the proceedings and instructed his agent to waive his billing entirely so they could get back to filming.

LINK
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 07:55 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

He had lots of good roles, but this is what I remember of his more recent work, too.
Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 01:13 pm
@Reyn,
Sad news -- he was in 179 films and TV shows:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0569000/
0 Replies