spreadsheet for calculating misc. postage stamps?

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 05:13 pm
Over the years, I've accumulated hundreds of postage stamps in varied denominations and would like a quick way to determine all the combinations of stamps I could use to mail any given letter.

Say, for instance, a letter or package I have requires $1.67 in postage. I'd like to be able to enter the denominations I have, and let a spreadsheet or program determine how many of each (or which) denominations would meet that rate.

This way, I could eventually use up my excess stamps since the USPS does not give refunds for unused postage.

Do you have such a program or Excel spreadsheet?

Thanks,

General Tsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,427 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:10 am
no.

Just sort them in boxes by denomination, then when you need $1.67, you take one out of the dollar box, one out of the fifty cent box, one out of the fifteen cent box and one out of the 2 cent box.

joe
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:55 am
Perhaps I need to clarify. I try not to over-explain things because I have a tendency to geek out.

I'm looking for a more in-depth means of handling the problem than just adding up the stamps. For instance, finding all the combinations of denominations which will make the total needed (without resorting to 10 minutes of math for each situation).

For instance, if I have an abundance of 34c stamps, I'd like to use those up, but it takes 4.91 of these stamps to make $1.67, so I need to find out what the added postage is without doing a lot of math. And how about if I only had three 34c stamps? Now the equation is more complex.

It would save a great deal of time if there were a program to calculate the various combinations which would make the needed total. Especially when one considers that the USPS changes denominations all the time.

Thanks,
General Tsao
0 Replies