cant get MySQL to work with PHPBB2

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:17 pm
I've been playing with PHPBB2 and I can't get the install to work with MySQL 5. I've followed these instructions for setting it up but I still get an error that says "The PHP configuration on your server doesn't support the database type that you chose"

In the past I've been able to get it to work with SQL Server and with an Access database. This is my first time ever using MySQL so I'm new at it. Any tips would be appreciated. Here are the parameters I'm using:

Database Server Hostname / DSN: localhost
Your Database Name: phpBB2
Database Username: phpBB2user
Database Password: dbpassword
Prefix for tables in database: phpbb_

Everything is running from my desktop. I'm using Win2000 with ISS Server. PHP and MySQL installed locally. I've been trying to figure this out for hours...

By the way, I have followed these instructions as well:

Code:
Access the MySQL prompt...
C:\www\mysql\bin> mysql -u root -p

[note that if password for MySQL user 'root' has not been set; when prompted for the password, leave line blank and hit Enter]

Create database 'phpBB2' (phpBB's main database, which will hold all tables)...

mysql> CREATE DATABASE phpBB2;

Create secured account with user 'phpBB2user' and password 'dbpassword' (secured account -- only accessible from 'localhost', access permitted only to database 'phpBB2', only needed privileges granted)...

mysql> GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, INDEX, ALTER, CREATE, DROP ON phpBB2.* TO 'phpBB2user'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'dbpassword';

[note password 'dbpassword' -- substitute in selected alternative]

[note that DROP is only required for database restores, and ALTER is only required for certain modules and future upgrades]

If using MySQL 4.1/5.0 with PHP v4, the password created for MySQL user 'phpBB2user' will need to be re-processed with a MySQL v4.0 hashing algorithm -- PHP4 can only use extension php_mysql [over extension php_mysqli, provided under PHP5] which does not contain the new/improved authentication protocol that is used by MySQL 4.1/5.0...

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'phpBB2user'@'localhost' = OLD_PASSWORD('dbpassword');

[again, note password 'dbpassword']

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> quit;

I don't run a message board, I just want to play with it so I can learn something new.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 906 • Replies: 0
No top replies