Entering the US - TRESPASSERS WILLL BE SHOT ON SITE!

NickFun

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:01 am
There was once a time in America when immigrants were welcomed with open arms. Our country thrived off immigration. Now we are spending countless millions trying to prevent Mexicans from coming into this country even though they will gladly do back-breaking work for $3.00 an hour that we can't pay Americans enough for. The inscription on the Staue of Liberty reads:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Today it can be translated as:

"Give me your well-rested, your wealthy,
Your elite few yearning to spend free,
The most fortunate of your hotel-dotted shore.
Send these, the ones with big mansions and expendable income to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door. - Just make sure you fill out the proper paperwork"

Of course, it's not just Mexicans. I know of a fairly wealthy Japanese man and his Filipino wife who had lived in this country for 20 years. As it turns out, he made an error in filling out his green card application when he first arrived. Everything was fine until 9/11. They had two homes, paid their taxes and lived life as normal Americans. Their son was enrolled at MIT. Sure enough they were deported! Last I heard their son who was only a year old when they moved here was kicked out of MIT and was also being deported despite the fact that he didn't speak Japanese or understand the culture. However, their 19 year old daughter was born here and was allowed to stay.

I'm not saying "let everyone in". I'm just questioning what happened to the values this country was founded on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 874 • Replies: 6
No top replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:30 pm
Nobody (okay, nobody who isn't insane) wants to stop immigration. Illegal, undocumented immigration is a different issue entirely. The anecdote you present as evidence of immigration policy gone mad, while emotional, does not constitute evidence of bad policy - it's one case for which we don't know all the facts. We need immigration badly; it would just be really nice to know who is here and for what purpose.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:59 pm
By the way, feel free to disagree with me!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:14 pm
Illegal immigrants were never welcomed.
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 01:24 pm
I think The United States must accept legal people from other countries like any other country does, I know nowadays USA economy is good; that is the reason people from Mexico and other countries cross the border. We need to understand their feelings, sometimes they need to chose between not eating today or crossing the border just to get some money, as I said before in this moment the United States economy is good, but things could change in the future and maybe americans will have to migrate to another country, I mention this because I have heard that some "people" in the United States are saying they are going to kill not only Illegals but immigrants which for me is a lack of values.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 01:51 pm
The economy can't take the hit. It's all bullsh!t. The anti illegal immigrant people are dreaming. The Americans Businesses wants the cheapest most compliant labour while at the same time denying them all the rights of those pesky American citizens. Mexican labour also lowers the wages of the whole labor pool. CAFTA and NAFTA is Corporate Americas love child.

This is only one example of globalization, The one you can see right in front of your face like the Dubei deal. Bush tried to sell American ports to an Arab country. But Americans don't see it because they have there heads in their ass. People vote more for American idol then they do the American President and thats who we are. We are what we do. Bush or whoever will do it eventually and his best ally is the peoples apathy, ignorance and selfishness.

So take a Zanex or a Prozac and have a glass of wine or go shopping for more products or watch the Apprentice whatever it is people need to do to keep their eyes shut. Whatever it is it works.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 02:13 pm
Re: Entering the US - TRESPASSERS WILLL BE SHOT ON SITE!
NickFun wrote:
I'm not saying "let everyone in". I'm just questioning what happened to the values this country was founded on?

The traditional values of this country have been trumped by fear, xenophobia and a national security apparatus running out of control.

My ancestors left the US for New Brunswick Canada in 1784. In the mid 19th century when the border with Maine was finalized descendents were distributed on both sides. For the next 100 years they drifted back and forth across that border and no one gave a damn. By Brandon's narrow calculation I suppose they would have been illegal.
0 Replies