Let Athletes Take Whatever They Want!

NickFun

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 10:16 am
There has been a lot of press about the doping of the Winter Games. If I was in charge of the Olympics I'd say "Take whatever the hell you want. It's your body and your future!" Suddenly we would see records broken like never before! People would be running the miles in two minutes! Weightlifters would be able to lift a thousand pounds! High jumpers would be jumping 20 feet! Long jumpers jumping 50 feet! Everyone would say "Oooh" and "Aaahhh!" as the amazing athletes perform unhindered. Urine would be something to be flushed away and not analyzed under a microscope!

Of course, all the athletes would be dead in 10 years but - who cares??? Is that any of our business? As long as the athletes know the risks shouldn't they be allowed to do whatever they want?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 782 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 10:37 am
part of me agrees with you, but some of those athletes are still teenagers and may not quite understand the full danger of those actions yet.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 10:56 am
I should have prefaced it with "consenting adults".
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 11:00 am
Sure... but that would probably exclude any younger people who aren't old enough to take it yet from the olymplics. It would also put pressure on them at an earlier age to figure out ways to take drugs.

I don't really care what consenting adults do to their body, but do think that it is a bit refreshing to see what people accomplish on talent and skill alone as opposed to juiced up on growth hormones.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:33 pm
But wouldn't a great athlete juiced up on hormones still outpace an inferior athlete juiced up on hormone?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:51 pm
I'm no scientist, i don't even play one on tv, so i'm not to sure about the specifics of it all so I don''t really know. I suppose it depends on what drugs, what amounts, how long they have been taking them, and how their body responds.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 06:53 pm
I think you're right, NickFun. Kind of put everyone on an even footing.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:42 pm
Performance enhancing drugs are just another technology, just like hinged ice skates and carbon fiber bike wheels.

If everyone competing were to use all of the technology available, they'd all be on an even footing, like roger says.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 05:27 pm
It seems that IOC officials exagerate. In some sense they do, but in general terms they don't.

1. Performance enhancing drugs, just as infrablue wrote, are just another technology. They are getting better and better, and the newer ones aren't available to everyone. The gap favors the rich.
2. Alongside performance enhancing drugs, there is a development on doping fooling technology. It was East Germany's little dirty secret.
3. When talking about high sport performance, most of this drugs aren't taken by "consenting" adults, but by promising teenagers (and children as young as 12 in Communist countries).
4. In the Olympics it's not usually a "personal" matter, but either a "national pride" matter or a "business on the making" matter.

All this said, I do dislike to see medals taken away for consuming drugs that are usually sold over-the-counter but have "convenient" side-affects, or for consuming illegal drugs that do not enhance performance (the IOC becomes a substitute cop).
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 10:35 pm
A good point. The OTC drugs are not habit forming, are only used when performing and flush quickly from your system. I say go for it!
0 Replies