High school basketball: Does hoops come any more pure?

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 10:10 pm
NBA is more about People Magazine then basketball these days; college hoops, which used to be my favorite, seems to be more about the few major conferences, with only the tournament worth watching any longer; yet out in California, we are getting ready to start the high school basketball playoffs.

It doesn't get any better then this. Skill level is obviously way below that of college and pro athletes, yet the high school kids seem to work harder and want it more then their better paid brethren.

Hold the thought on the skill level; higher level athletes are more athletic, can jump higher and are taller, but I see better fundamentals and team ball played at the high school level.

Check it out......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 678 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ray

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:28 am
My only experience on a basketball team was in a losing team, but I had fun watching the games. It's better to be at a basketball game than watching it on TV.

Yeah, high school basketball is great.
0 Replies

Bodo

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:52 am
I've watched a bit of the high school games they show on ESPN2, usually the top teams in the country, and it's interesting to watch. Not as good as watching a local high school though, as you mentioned there is more heart and just an extra elemebnt.

Check out this story I saw about an autistic boy in Rochester New York who got to play on his high school basketball team for one game. A great story.

YouTube
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:37 am
Yeah, that boy is all over the news. Good for him. Something you expect in a good story, and it's real, even better.
0 Replies