Can computers think?

satt fs

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 05:58 pm
The idea of "defying logic" may be good, but the question is whether it is viable or not as a computer design. I am in the negative about it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 06:58 pm
IMO, some thinking originates in intuition and inspiration. That's enough for me to answer "no".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 07:51 pm
You can teach the computer some basic logic, but the choices of decision making will be limited. c.i.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 08:33 pm
You mean computers work on intelligent thought? Sheesh! And I've always thought it was just black magic. At least this makes more sense than a bunch of 1's and 0's and bits and bytes and rams and stuff.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 10:13 pm
Monger, It's called "artificial intelligence." Wink
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:01 am
whereas "human intelligence" a definite "oxymoron", is best defined as "artifice"!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:07 am
and another thing! (while I'm here);

I always find it humorous when people complain about "computer errors" causing all manner of inconvenience.....
As we all know, computers don't make errors; they either "crash" thus issuing no answers at all, or they spit out the exact result of whatever formula or model they have been instructed to apply to whatever inquiry.
The error if it exists, is in the programme, or in the question.

Shouldn't total reliability (of the hardware, not Microsoft) be considered a form of intelligence; its more or less absent in human thought.
0 Replies