Article on getting italian vegetable seeds

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 10:44 pm
italian vegetable seeds

This article "Seeds with the Genuine Taste of Italy" by Adrian Higgins of the Washington Post was in my area's San Francisco Chronicle on Saturday. It lists several seed sources for unusual varieties of vegetables. Most immediately interesting to me is Seeds from Italy, in Winchester, Massachusetts. (781)721-5901, www.growitalian.com

The article lists numbers and websites for several others suppliers, including Renee's Gardens, John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds, Johnny's Selected Seeds, The Cook's Garden, and W. Atlee Burpee & Co.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,242 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:56 am
Ossobuco- Sounds Interesting- but I wonder whether there is a place where you can get an idea of which vegetables will grow in your area.

For instance, where I live in Florida, you can't grow apples or peaches. They both need a certain amount of cold to "set" the fruit. You might end up with a pretty tree, but no fruit. I wonder if there are the same constraints with vegetables.

Down where I live, the big thing in vegetables are tomatoes and onions, although I know that they grow them up north too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 10:39 am
Well, Phoenix, Italy can get pretty warm and they have fabulous tomatoes, artichokes, beans, etc.

Out here in the west we have Sunset Western Gardens, kind of a plant bible that will tell you what will grow where. I think most areas have some kind of government agricultural service that you can call. The best local nursery in your immediate vicinity would be apt to have knowledge about what grows in your specific microclimate. I tend to avoid the big box stores..at least one back in Marina del Rey had plants that were inappropriate to Marina del Rey and the clerks were not very knowledgeable.

I would guess that a google search for vegetables and planting zones might come up with something useful. Sunset and lots of other links are listed in the Helpful Links topic in this forum.
0 Replies