my computer restarts itself automatically!

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 01:59 am
my computer restarts itself automatically!
so i have this toshiba satellite laptop.

recently it starts to acting weird.

i will be doing my normal things on line. everything runs ok. then all of sudden, in just split second, without me shutting down all those running programs, the computer will show me a black screen with lots of white characters. it is so fast, i can't even read them.

then it will restart. and the time and freq. varies. and i don't think that it was caused by a particular program at all.

so anyone knows what is wrong with my laptop now?

oh, i have about 1 gb left on my laptop, i wonder maybe it is due low memory?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 782 • Replies: 9
No top replies

gbob

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 04:44 am
you might be able to find some information about the failure in event viewer its in date and time order so net time this happens u should be able to trace the log.
0 Replies

mans

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 05:38 am
i've had that happen to my laptop - but i can't remember why. maybe there is constantly something wrong with the laptop, causing it to need to restart to try and fix itself (to no effect)
0 Replies

cassiepang

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 01:41 am
i fink it is virus........
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 06:38 am
That's not likely anything to do with a virus or other yuckware. Most frequently, a machine's spontaneous shutdowns, as noted in the symptoms described, are a symptom of overheating. Could be your fan has failed, or that dust and crud have built up inside, hampering cooling airflow. Something else to look at would be the number of programs and processes running - the more the processor has to do, the hotter its gonna run.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:28 pm
it still continues.

i think that it might be due to memory overload or something. it restarts iregularly. so i can't tell when it will happen. it is definitely not overheating.

but it has 512 mb ddr2 sdram. maybe it is due some programs that i added which messed up my system.

now i can't use the "turn off the computer" function, either. it won't shut it off. i have to press the on/off key in order to shut it down.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:33 pm
Mine has been doing that too!

Almost always it is when I'm using Photoshop and hit "Save".

It is totally pissing me off.

Lately when signed onto A2K I've been getting some nutty pop up thing that says I must click "Yes" to continue. When I click the "X" instead A2K signs me off. I'm able to sign right back on but it's weird.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:47 pm
How much stuff do you have starting with Windows, or otherwise running? Have you checked to see if the spontaneous shutdown problem happens in safe mode, diagnostic, and selective startup boot modes too? Why do you say the machine "is definitely not overheating"?
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:51 pm
it is not overheating, because just a few mins ago, when i tried to open this email notice about this thread, my laptop restarted all by itself.

and sometimes, it restarts 5 mins later when i turned on the laptop.

yes, i think that i might have added some programs , so they all start up at the same time. how can i disable those? i only see one that is in the start up folder. all the rest are hidden somewhere.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:29 pm
Typically, that behavior relates to one or more of the following top-10 suspects:
  1. Bad Karma
  2. Overheating
  3. Incorrect, missing or corrupt drivers, particularly audio and/or video drivers
  4. Memory mismatch or memory hardware failure
  5. Power Supply issues
  6. Overload of USB bus due to number of connected peripherals
  7. System overload/resource depletion due to excessive applications running simultaneously
  8. Improperly configured ACPI settings
  9. Other motherboard or installed hardware issues
  10. Bad karma

Lets try to narrow things down a bit and take a look at what you've got going on with your machine.

Download HJTsetup.exe
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • CLOSE ALL OTHER WINDOWS, BROWSERS AND SHUT DOWN ANY RUNNING APPLICATIONS
  • Locate and doubleclick the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • HiJackThis will be installed to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
  • Continue to click Run/Next in the setup dialogues until you reach the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue, click "Finish", which will launch HijackThis.
You will be presented with the New User's Quickstart control panel for HJT. Under "What would you like to do?", click the 4th option, "Open the Misc Tools section". There, place a checkmark in the "List also minor sections (full)" box, then click ""Generate Startuplist log". When prompted, confirm that you wish to generate a Startup log. In a few moments, a Notepad textfile will appear; from the Notepad tool bar, select "File", then select "Save". This will save the report to HJT's folder, "C:\Program Files\HijackThis".

When you've done that, click the "Back" button to return HJT to its Scan mode. Click "Scan", let the scan run to completion, then select "Save Log", then close HJT.
DO NOT "FIX" ANYTHING WITH HJT UNLESS AND UNTILL GIVEN SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS TO DO SO

Navigate back to this thread and paste both logs into your next reply.
0 Replies