cable modem headache

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:46 am
I have comcast cable broadband with comcast installed RCA modem.This modem often runs perfect for months at a time but sometimes won't stay on more than a few minutes at a time. The usual, unplug-plug-reset-unplug-plug-reset can take 7 or 17 times to get the modem to actually resent and stay on which might be for 2 minutes or hours/days. sometimes just tapping on it with your finger will do the trick (all the cables/connections are secure)
suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 989 • Replies: 7
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:49 am
No, but I'm going to read along with you. We are still on dial-up and our only available alternative is Comcast. I'm curious how often folks have trouble with it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:53 am
dys- I have Bright House, and have never had any problems with the modem. I am wondering if there may be a small break in one of the internal connections, which might make the gizmo work intermittently.

Why not call Comcast? Aren't they responsible for replacing defective modems?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:56 am
I'm have the same problem as dys. I'd better use this sentence as a bookmark so I can come back and check this thread.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:34 am
Have you tried lightly tapping it with a sledgehammer. That has worked wonders for me in so many similar situations.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:40 am
If Comcast won't replace it, try eBay.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:57 pm
Complain to your provider - its their hardware. If it was me, I'd tell 'em it's been unpredictable for a while and steadily has been getting worse, and much moreso the past few days, to the point now that its unreliability is intolerable.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:49 pm
If something as minor as tapping it with your finger will "fix" the problem then you prolly have a bad solder joint inside the modem. Contact Comcast and have them replace it.
0 Replies