Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:06 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 717 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:09 pm
I will just be happy if the job descriptions for these new "jobs" are written in language I can understand.

I haven't got a clue as to what this is supposed to be saying. Care to simplify it for me? Laughing
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:29 am
This two paragraph diatribe can be summarized by a simple statement that information technology continuously changes our concept of what constitutes "paid work" or "a job". His reference to the Caribbean is irrelevant unless he has specific local data to discuss.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:06 am
Thank you, fresco. I remember when I worked for Boeing back in the 70's. I was a secretary and we did everything on a typewriter. Well, Boeing purchased a Word Processor! None of us even knew what it was! And it had to be in a room all by itself because it was this huge thing. The floppy disks were 12"x12" I think. It was an amazing machine. An Amtext 425. Funny how I remember the name of it.

I ended up ended up being the first Word Processor Operator at the Wichita Plant because my boss was the only one that would let his secretary go to learn how to use it. Back then, secretaries were a boss' righthand. If you wanted to get to the boss you had to go through the secretary first.

I loved it! I've been hooked on computers since. I wish I knew the programming ins and outs but I can pick up the software workings fairly well.

Now, I would imagine no office desk at Boeing is without a computer. I guess we have all wondered from time to time if we will get to the point that we won't need individuals to work the computers anymore. Wouldn't surprise me.
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:27 pm
Telwork, and telecommuting
Paul Andrew Bourne

I am forwarding a view that work has changed within the context of time, globalizaation, typologies, topologies, and political systems despite our inflexibility.

The question to which I seek a discourse on is, "Why have organizations stuck in the time zone of the nineteenth century concerning work and perception of work?"
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:30 pm
Well, I thought I kind of knew what you were talking about but I can see I don't.

What in the world do you mean by ...stuck in the time zone of the 19th century......? Do you maybe have some examples? I am really lost.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:58 pm
A well known variation on this theme is discuss whether "machines doing all the work" would be a utopia or dystopia from the point of view of the psychology of "self-worth". Organizations perceiving is of course a dubious anthropomorphism which endows sociological structures with qualities of its individual members.
0 Replies