Vampires

Equus

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:19 am
Why don't movie vampires wear bullet-proof vests? If a bullet won't puncture them, surely a wooden stake wouldn't.

And movie vampires are usually very attractive. How do they comb their hair if they can't see themselves in a mirror? And some movie vampires can't stand running water, so do they never take a shower? How come (most of them) aren't dirty and smell bad? And if they smell bad, what do they care about garlic??

And this crucifix business--- what about Buddhist or Muslim or Atheist vampires? Why should they recoil from a Christian symbol?

And if they don't brush their teeth, why haven't their fangs rotted away over the Centuries?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,456 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:39 pm
Good questions -- do these vampires have their tongues firmly implanted in their cheeks?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:45 pm
Vampires don't wear bullet proof vests for the same reason the heroine always goes up that dark staircase, even though the scary back ground music is playing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:50 pm
Garlic gives them (say it like a real vampire) in-dee-chest-un.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:17 pm
Re: Vampires
Equus wrote:
Why don't movie vampires wear bullet-proof vests? If a bullet won't puncture them, surely a wooden stake wouldn't.

And movie vampires are usually very attractive. How do they comb their hair if they can't see themselves in a mirror? And some movie vampires can't stand running water, so do they never take a shower? How come (most of them) aren't dirty and smell bad? And if they smell bad, what do they care about garlic??

And this crucifix business--- what about Buddhist or Muslim or Atheist vampires? Why should they recoil from a Christian symbol?

And if they don't brush their teeth, why haven't their fangs rotted away over the Centuries?

Does Logic exist in movies?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:23 pm
Not in a vampire flick. Although Coppolla certainly gave it the most semblance of reality. Besides the original Tobe Hooper "Dracula," my favorite vampire film. Especially the morphing.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:11 am
My favourite vampire flick (realistic or not) would have to be "Blood for Dracula" (1974), sometimes called Andy Warhol's Dracula. It's a riot; sometimes you almost feel pity for the vampire :-D
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:57 am
Equus wrote:
I SUPPOSE ITS COZ ITS NOT GLAMOROUS ENOUGH, IT WOULDNT GO WITH THEIR GLOTHIC LOOK

GOOD POINT, THEY ARE TH ELIVING DEAD AS WELL ARNT THEY SO THEY ARE GONA SMELL RANCID!!

I THINK THE ORIGINAL STORY HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH VLAD THE IMPALER WHO PROTECTED THE CHURCH, THEN AN ENEMY FOOLED HIS WIFE INTO THINKING HE WAS DEAD SO SHE KILLED HERSELF, HE DISCOVERED SHE WAS DEAD SO HE RENOUNCED GOD AND SO THE CROSS IS A NEGATIVE SYMBOL TO VAMPIRES.I SUPPOSE THEY MUST BE FROM THE SAME ORIGINS WHATEVER RELIGION THEY ARE NOW.

THEY DONT EAT MUCH SUGAR, ID IMAGINE BLLOD AND FLESH DOENST REALLY ROT TEETH QUICKLY
0 Replies

Lucien

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 05:11 pm
Okay, seriously though, if you want to know how vampires are really supposed to work, then read Anne Rice. No, don't watch the movies, 'cause they sucked. Go read.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 05:13 pm
Anne Rice sucks . . .
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 02:22 pm
Equus wrote:

Alas! These are some of life's mysteries that will never be answered.

In "Buffy, the Vampire Killer," some of the vampires learned to use sunscreen, so they could go out in the daylight. Isn't technology wonderful?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 05:20 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Not in a vampire flick. Although Coppolla certainly gave it the most semblance of reality. Besides the original Tobe Hooper "Dracula," my favorite vampire film. Especially the morphing.

Among Modern Vampire Fliks only Blade stands out for its stylishness and good action story.

Wht say?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 06:57 am
Equus wrote:

Well, I reckon vampires don't wear said vests for much the same reason most humans don't. Besides, let's face it, especially the gothic vampires are so gung-ho on their supposed strength, they probably doubt anyone could possibly kill them until the stake actually goes through their heart.
And a final consideration, what if those vests (which are heavier then normal clothes) weigh them down so much they are unable to fly in batform?

Well, most vamps DO have mortal servants. So combing the hair... Could be done by them, I suppose. In the original legends, vampires cannot CROSS running water, but they can stand it. So they could take a shower I'd say Smile

The reason for this fear of running water escapes me. Several reasons have been named, I will list a few :
1) running water cannot hold magic. Of course, the vampire cannot exist with magic of some kind, hence it's aversion.
2) Running water has mirror like capabilities. Just as a mirror is loathful to vamps, so then is running water. Sounds like bollocks to me, since normal water, which reflects far better, is not harmful to vampires.
3) It symbolises a threshold of death (particularly the river Styx in Greek mythology) the vampire cannot cross it, if he or she seeks to hold on to existence on the mortal realm.

How come they aren't dirty and smell bad? Hmm... Perhaps dirt is averse to clinging to such an unnatural organism.

As far as the faith goes, well, supposedly, a true believer holding a holy item will be protected by their God from the evil depravations of the horrible vampires. So regardless what the vampires views on theology are, it's the believer's that counts.

I have never heard of them not brushing their teeth, really... Perhaps they do Smile

Naj
0 Replies