Recover MS Word *.tmp file?

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 04:02 pm
I was typing out a fab piece of text and copy pasted it into able2know.com but it got lost. I accidentally closed MS Word prior to copy pasting to able2know.com. The clipboard does not contain the text anymore, as I copy-pasted something after that, and the MS Word redo typing command does not get me there either.

I have followed the info on this site
http://www.amset.info/tips/office-recovery.asp

It says:

"If you are looking for files used by word, then the following file types should be searched for, where "xxxx" is a number.

A word document file will look like ~wrdxxxx.tmp
A temp document file will look like ~wrfxxxx.tmp
An auto recovery file will look like ~wraxxxx.tmp
An auto recovery file that is complete will have the extension of .wbk

When you have found a file that looks like it might contain data, you may want to open it in notepad instead of trying to get Word to reassemble it. The easiest way to do this is to open Notepad from the start menu then drag and drop the file in to it. The file will then be opened so that you can view the contents.

If the document was open when the system failed (power failure or crash) then you could try just opening Word again (not the document, just Word itself from the start menu). Word will then try to recover the lost document."

So I found a likely file called "~WRF0000.tmp" but when I open it, I get lots of this:

"ô-uÍQW€ƒ©šÌ
oFoRÞû*Ž âäú¨œk| ªô ô?' ƟŒŠ.êë t‚PÜJ•D†Vz9O/ŠCå {w ;æ±=ê�'³y)ßmæºJB-à -�-.K Ý*-]ÃÇÝñPA�'šsŠ´Ø3Õã¹[�'s Õ ÞœB…P fdP™Ú¤¥.!÷‡�-Â-º2 ՈHÁA<Èù‡ÍvE;§-° .p¡
àåA 4gK�"´ý*åÞ7H
t›ûpTW3�-°aÍp<{Ûp¼x 4£‰@i�-¨
vVŠ¾0Â>í겂�-'�'�"  |¡\ §SxVïŒ ª~òe H‚±;
ˆ•-E ÄQ füMÁᝍ٠kJ H}ç9o ¢ý^K/C" Ï{CC³VÀ þ˜1ü[3KV�"Ë«-à 3•´ šƒQF¡YÏ)ö ̄I<Rà¿Å£b9©w®�-7Í�"âL˜g=å8TãFa Wp] Û�'�-ëåÀÆÁþA x %ÁôBYS= -8ñÝ
pE�"QÃJ±ŽôvÁà o9›"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 14,084 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:40 pm
I guess this is from a while back now so you probably fixed the problem but just in case or if anyone else has this problem, I'm pretty sure you need to open such .tmp files in Notepad rather than Word. You should then be able to copy the data right back into Word and voila.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:43 pm
Ashers wrote:
I guess this is from a while back now so you probably fixed the problem but just in case or if anyone else has this problem, I'm pretty sure you need to open such .tmp files in Notepad rather than Word. You should then be able to copy the data right back into Word and voila.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:52 pm
Sorry I see you mentioned Notepad above. I think you can also try locating this temp file using Word and the Open dialog box. If you select the file (single click) and then click the arrow to the right of the 'Open' button you might be able to try repairing the file. Had any luck trying this? Open and Repair I think it's called.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:57 pm
I have MS word 97 SR2 and I see no repair and help does not refer to it Sad
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:05 pm
Well it's strange that opening it in Notepad or some other such text editor doesn't do the trick so I'm thinking maybe the file is corrupted somehow, though if all you did was to close by accident rather than some sort of crash then that's kind of strange too. If it is corrupted, then maybe you might want to try a document repair program like...

Doc Repair

...worth a try maybe. I remember when my computer crashed a few years back and I was working on something important, I was lucky enough for Word to simply recover the doc by opening the program itself rather than the file. Anyway, the doc repair type program might be worth a try if you want.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:09 pm
You could also try saving the file as a .rtf or .html file and then saving it back to a .doc. This is basically to convert it to another file format and then to re-convert it back to the Word format.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:24 pm
Tried renaming via the extension no go Sad
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:35 pm
Just to make sure, when you saved this file as an .rtf for example, in the box for the file name you placed quotations round the whole thing right? Like "XXX.rtf" etc. Then to save it back, "XXX.doc" etc. As opposed to simply typing in XXX.rtf.

You need the quotations to specify the extension otherwise the program it's being saved in automatically takes over and adds a .whatever on the end. Also specifically try this in Wordpad for the .rtf extension. Just in case.

If you did all that and it was a no go then the only other thing I can think of would be to give this repair program above (or any other repair type program) a whirl.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
I don't use quotes when changing an extension and the icon has always changed to reflect the new name. I just use "F2" in win98SE.

Further I have win98SE set up to view all files and all extensions etc so it's easy to confirm what the full file name is before and after.

I have not, in this case, used any application to change or save the file name. I have it done it all in win98SE using "F2".
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
I do want to say thanks ever so much for your help and welcome Smile
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 12:27 pm
No problem, glad to try.
0 Replies