# 68 Wildclickers arranging a ball

Stradee

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:20 pm
Wow - lots to read, sumac! Don't forget the new bushco god-knows-what-all...and the sneak attack on ANWR...again!

http://www.sierraclubplus.org/cartoons/rall/2006-03_rall_kickinghabit.jpg
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:27 pm
sumac, I flew over the Bering Sea early one Summer while in Alaska. It was covered with ice and I hoped nothing went wrong with my plane. Sure was beautiful though.

Thats facinating about the ancients using olive oil to melt copper. I always wondered that the first "Age" following "Stone" was "Bronze".... Because bronze is an alloy of two metals - copper and tin. It's amazing that early humans went from banging stones together to make their point - straight to combining two different metals to make a stronger point....... GRIN

I'm not surprised about the Bush attempt to screw us again. He is pushing a late 1980's law about truth in labeling products to allow manufacturers to get away without telling us exactly what is in products and processed food. That's sad.

well,

all clicked........................
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:36 pm
Hi Stradee,

That's funny...... Bush was "given" several oil companies by his father. He failed miserably in his attempt to run any of them - in fact, that last one given to him was in the Middle East by Saudi Arabia. He is probably the only oil driller in existence that in that area never made a strike. Amazing. That was the company he had given to him and just prior to his father who was president at the time planning to attack Iraq during the first incident told George to sell his shares - which he did and used the money to buy ONE SHARE of the Texas Ranger Baseball team that started getting his face in the news and got him elected Gov of Texas. With Daddys help in the background of course. It was Daddys friends who actually purchased the baseball team so George could get his one share of stock and then act as if he owned it. Oh well, talk about your spoiled brat. He is still failing.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:47 pm
Dan, the guys a damned menace. You know what we did with our kids when they were bratty? Send them to thier rooms to contemplate the word "responsibility". Not so with the bush cartel. The worse they are - the better for their bank accounts. What a bunch of losers.

Unfortunately, the forests of America, wildlife, and habitat are suffering due to the idiotic actions of buschco and his corporate buddies.

Oops, Says the Forest Service

All the guidebooks say that the hike to Babyfoot Lake is one of the prettiest in Oregon's Siskiyou National Forest. It's a botanical reserve, noted for its wildflowers, rare Brewer's spruces, and enormous old-growth trees. But try visiting it today, and you're in for an unhappy surprise. The picnickers below may be fictional, but the stump is real -- more than 200 years old. The devastation is thanks to an illegal clearcut by the Forest Service as part of the Biscuit salvage sale -- the result, the agency says, of a "serious error" in drawing the sale's boundaries. You can read the whole story in the latest Sierra magazine.

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200603/images/babyfoot2.jpg

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200603/images/babyfoot4.jpg

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200603/images/babyfoot6.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:10 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 290 friends have supported 2,275,829.8 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 102,307.2 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 290 friends have supported: (102,307.2)

American Prairie habitat supported: 48,829.9 square feet.
You have supported: (11,751.8)
Your 290 friends have supported: (37,078.1)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,124,692.7 square feet.
You have supported: (169,105.3)
Your 290 friends have supported: (1,955,587.4)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

2275829.8 square feet is equal to 52.25 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:15 pm
ehBeth, You rook mahvaloous!!!!

Thanks Stradee,
Yep, those carpetbaggers are getting rich at OUR expense aren't they.............. Yep. Some things don't change - (as opposed to my signature, below) Big Gritty Grin - a real grinder grin - a gnasher!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:53 pm
Hi ya Dan, and yep - i've bout had it with them carpetbagger fellers!

<roaring and gritting teeth>

Your signature says it all though - and i sure hope the change arrives quickly before we don't have an enviornment to fight for!

Today wrote a zillion letters <well, words> for our animal buddies suffering in labs - the enviornment - labeling our foods < the House passed the bill - next step, the Senate> told the March of Dimes to march their butts right outta the nation <guess that letter won't be read> and yelled at the three internet giants that want us to pay for e mails, etc. Told them to ride the stage with MOF!

<sigh>

Then, i fed the herd, mopped floors, vacuumed, cleaned kitchen cabinets, and prepared dinner. If energy were the way to get people to pay attention to whats happening to our enviornment and animals - then believe me, they'd hear me loud and clear <words jumping out of envelopes> surround sound circling the Senate! I'm bringing the mop! and an ehBeth Endora wig! <twitching nose at rove> poof!

Did you know that John Muirs mom was from Texas? Yep, and she's one of the good guys too.

Sierra Club Magazine has some cool articles - one an interview with Michael Muir - and from ehBeths neck of the woods - The Canadian Arctic.

Good reading to take our minds off of carpetbaggers and poopoo heads. <did i say that?> been a long day.

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:57 am
From the Sierra Club magazine article mentioned above by Stradee on the "mistake".

"No outsiders were able to warn the timber markers of their mistake because the Forest Service had excluded the public from the sale area. It was only after it was reopened on August 1 that Barbara Ullian of the Siskiyou Project in Cave Junction, Oregon, discovered what had happened. "If I can look at the maps and tell the wrong area was logged, I cannot understand how professional timber-sale layout people couldn't do the same thing," she told the Portland Oregonian."

Excuse me while I go look for someone to strangle.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:09 am
Dan,

This "new" idea of bushco and the puppet EPA may bear a passing resemblance to previous work regarding food, but this one is specific to chemical spills and toxic emission of gases, etc. I was working at Olin Corporation (a chemical company), with Union Carbide's HQ literally just down the road, when the Bhopal, India chemical disaster happened.

What they are proposing to change now is regulations that were then passed that required a tightening of reporting requirements for "accidents" from chemical plants.

"The E.P.A.'s weakening of the Toxics Release Inventory program "

from the quoted material I posted above.

Now they want to loosen the reporting requirements. The public has no need to know when our environment is at risk because of actions by chemical firms. Emit toxic gases into the air? Sure, you don't have to tell anyone. Foul the water systems? Sure, go ahead, we'll let you do it more before it is necessary to tell anyone.

The entire article needs to be read. This proposed change, which does not require Congressional oversight or approval, is an afront to the environment, and to the public's right and need to know when there is danger around them.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:02 am
Duh. Even small numbers of striped bass (rockfish) will be adversely affected by polluted waters.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/10/AR2006031002416_pf.html

"Chesapeake's Rockfish Overrun by Disease
Epidemic Hits Species Hailed for Revival, Then Weakened by Polluted Waters

By Elizabeth Williamson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 11, 2006; A01

A wasting disease that kills rockfish and can cause a severe skin infection in humans has spread to nearly three-quarters of the rockfish in the Chesapeake Bay, cradle of the mid-Atlantic's most popular game fish.

The mycobacteriosis epidemic could carry profound implications for the rockfish, also known as striped bass. The fish fuel a $300 million industry in Maryland and Virginia, but because the bacteria kill slowly, effects on the stock are only now emerging.

The disease also sends a grim message about the entire bay ecosystem. The rockfish remains bay conservationists' only success story -- a species nearly wiped out, then revived by fishing limits.

But as the number of rockfish surged, the fish remained in a body of water too polluted to support the level of life it once did. That made them vulnerable to a malady researchers did not see coming -- a signal, some scientists say, that controlling fish harvests is no longer enough to ensure long-term survival of a species.

"We used to think that if you got hold of fishing, all your problems would be solved," said James H. Uphoff Jr., a biologist at the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. "But now all these ecological problems crop up, and we don't understand them.""
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:03 am
Going to go deliver my clicks (plural). <By George, I think she's got it>
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:02 am
Lots of articles, thanks for posting them.

Lots of work here- no time to "play" on the computer.

Hope you all will have a nice weekend.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:04 am
Good morning ul, sumac and all.....

We are having very hot temps here in NE TX - everything is blooming and the trees are leafing out. IT's STILL WINTER !!!!!!!

all clicked

Thanks for the interesting reading everyone....
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:36 am
http://www.newportnewstimes.com/articles/2006/03/10/news/news02.txt

"Minor earthquake near Siletz, another off Oregon coast this week
By Joel Gallob Of the News-Times

The Pacific Northwest had a geologically busy week, with several earthquakes in, or off, Oregon and Washington. These included a 3.2 magnitude earthquake 10 miles east by northeast of Siletz, at 9:38 a.m. on Saturday, March 4 and a larger, magnitude 4.5 quake, at 8:23 a.m. Thursday, March 9, 109 miles west of Port Orford, according to the U.S. Geological Survey Earthquake Hazards Program website.

Both these quakes were confirmed by Jonathan Allen, a geologist with the Newport office of the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries (DOGAMI), and James Roddey, the information officer for DOGAMI's main office in Portland.

Only one of the week's quakes, off Port Orford, occurred under water. All the others occurred under land."
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:37 am
Same here as to temps, Dan, but no rain. 5 inches down.

I don't think the trees and shrubs can break bud well without rain and moist bark. But flowering trees are out in bloom anyway.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:16 pm
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5267/schnee7sc.jpg

Springtime-- not here.
This was taken Thursday- more to come tonight.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:14 pm
Beautiful photo, ul! We've been receiving snow continually for the past three days - this morning though, rain cleared the roadways, but everthing else remains covered - looks so pretty - a picture post card.

sumac, our wrists will fall off our arms if we strangled the fools running the forest service - and government agencies causing the downhill slope the enviornments taken in the past 8 years. Those people in washington are imbeciles. With the resignation of Gale Norton, God knows what bushco will appoint to replace her as Director of the DOI. Hold yur hats everyone.

sumac, from your Cheseapeake article - i was not surprised the government doesn't have an answer for 'ecological' problems they 'don't understand'. Whats to understand! Natures responding to human destruction - and there's not much anyone can do but observe natural phenomina but mostly man-caused animal and plant extinction.

Hill top coal mining destroys streams, fish, plants, and natural habitat. Soot and sediment bury streams unless the cause of the pollution removed. The adminstration should be removed - pronto.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:15 pm
Winter in Vienna. Lovely.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:16 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/11/AR2006031100651.html

"Norton Legacy: Drilling, Land Sale Plans

By JENNIFER TALHELM
The Associated Press
Saturday, March 11, 2006; 12:53 PM

WASHINGTON -- Western lands more open to oil and gas drilling and to logging. A greater emphasis on making federal land accessible to the public. Fewer protections for wilderness."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:21 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 290 friends have supported 2,277,492.1 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 102,447.7 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 290 friends have supported: (102,447.7)

American Prairie habitat supported: 48,853.3 square feet.
You have supported: (11,751.8)
Your 290 friends have supported: (37,101.5)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,126,191.2 square feet.
You have supported: (169,105.3)
Your 290 friends have supported: (1,957,085.9)

~~~~~~~~~~~

2277492.1 square feet is equal to 52.28 acres
0 Replies