How Gullible Are We?

vinsan

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:48 am
"Neuron" wrote in message news:...
A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science fair. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment.

In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." and for plenty of good reasons:

1. It can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. It is a major component of acid rain
3. It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. Accidental inhalation can kill you
5. It contributes to erosion
6. It decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. It has been found in tumors of terminal cancer

He asked fifty people if they supported a ban of the chemical.

Forty-three said yes and six were undecided. Only one knew that the chemical, "dihydrogen monoxide" was water. The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible are We?" He feels the conclusion is obvious
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 734 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:02 am
Now if a junior high school kid has the ability to con people into signing something bogus, imagine the abilities of the media "spinmeisters", who are professional communicators. It has gotten to a point where I take just about everything that I read or hear on TV with a grain of salt.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:14 am
How gullible am I?

Who wants ta know?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:20 am
Jay Leno does the same sort of "test" on random people on the street about once a week. lol
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:21 am
Of course he wasn't practicing junk science, whatever that is, or science for that matter, not that that stopped the Idaho Falls yahoos from issuing him the First Prize. What scientific principle did he illustrate or expand upon? Uh. That's right. They awarded the First Prize in a science fair to a project which illustrates more reasons, so to speak, to doubt the validity of science.

Can you say Intelligent Design ought to have an opportunity to be examined?

Wait, were the social sciences included in this fair?

What we have here is 1) a nice young man illustrating the power of marketing and psychology and 2) beaming adults nodding their heads, eighty-six per cent of which are willing to sign something in protest while in a state of ignorance, then furthering their ignorance by designating this work as evidence of something other than that same ignorance. If the circle was any tighter it would be a black hole.

Joe(my project shows that dinosaurs and humans lived together)Nation

I have proof from Hanna-Barbera
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:32 am
We have evidence that they lived together. Remember, this was Idaho, we could not expect anything more, we can at least be proud of proper pronunciation.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:10 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Now if a junior high school kid has the ability to con people into signing something bogus, imagine the abilities of the media "spinmeisters", who are professional communicators. It has gotten to a point where I take just about everything that I read or hear on TV with a grain of salt.

So did Micheal Jackson sleep with kids? Who knows... the TV told me so.
0 Replies