Self-Actualization

coberst

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:14 am
Abraham Maslow defined a hierarchy of needs to be:
1) Biological and Physiological (water, food, shelter, air, sex, etc.)
2) Safety (security, law and order, stability, etc.)
3) Belonging and love (family, affection, community, etc.)
4) Esteem (self-esteem, independence, prestige, achievement, etc.)
5) Self-Actualization (self-fulfillment, personal growth, realizing personal potential, etc.)

This hierarchy makes us conscious of the obvious fact that we did not fret about the absence of self-esteem if we did not already have security nor did we worry about security if we did not have water to drink or air to breath.

"Maslow says there are two processes necessary for self-actualization: self exploration and action. The deeper the self exploration, the closer one comes to self-actualization."

"A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be at peace with himself. What a man can be, he must be. This is the need we may call self-actualization ... It refers to man's desire for fulfillment, namely to the tendency for him to become actually in what he is potentially: to become everything that one is capable of becoming ..."

I think that the area in which Western society fails most egregiously is in the matter of an intellectual life after schooling. We have a marvelous brain that goes into the attic after schooling is complete and is brought out only occasionally on the job or when we try to play bridge or chess.

It appears to me that the fundamental problem faced by most Western democracies is a lack of intellectual sophistication of the total population. Our colleges and universities have prepared young people to become good producers and consumers. The college graduate has a large specialized database that allows that individual to quickly enter the corporate world as a useful cog in the machine. The results display themselves in our thriving high standard of living, high technology corporate driven life styles.

We are excellent at instrumental rationality and deficient at developing the rationality and understanding required for determining normative values. It seems to me that our societies are not prepared intellectually for the demanding task ahead. The only solution seems to be a change that will significantly increase the intellectual sophistication of the society as a whole. We need a rising tide of intellectual sophistication and Self-Actualization might be the way for our adults to add an intellectual life to their acquisitions.

To get an idea about S-A you might examine http://www.performance-unlimited.com/samain.htm You can do a Google and find other sites that you might find more interesting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 758 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 05:23 pm
Re: Self-Actualization
coberst wrote:
I think that the area in which Western society fails most egregiously is in the matter of an intellectual life after schooling. We have a marvelous brain that goes into the attic after schooling is complete and is brought out only occasionally on the job or when we try to play bridge or chess.

It appears to me that the fundamental problem faced by most Western democracies is a lack of intellectual sophistication of the total population.

It appears to me that, once again, you are reading things into Maslow's comments that simply aren't there. Self-Introspsection doesn't require ANY formal education nor "intellectual sophistication" and your concept of self-actualization has absolutely nothing in common with Maslow's.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:55 pm
Re: Self-Actualization
coberst wrote:
It seems to me that our societies are not prepared intellectually for the demanding task ahead.

What is this "demanding task" you mention?
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:03 pm
A life coach? Isn't this a contradiction to what you are trying to debate here? Doesn't knowlege and learning come from actually doing instead of paying a life coach a jillion dollars to affirm your choices?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:12 pm
I think your life would be better served by just talking with people with an moderately open mind, Coberst, than pulsing information paragraphs.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:17 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I think your life would be better served by just talking with people with an moderately open mind, Coberst, than pulsing information paragraphs.

Agree. Perhaps Maslow didn't include in his pyramid the part about "talking with people" (communication) vs "talking AT people" (lecture).
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:49 am
0 Replies