Islam and terrorism: beware, most of all, of the converts?

nimh

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:37 pm
A colleague, a while ago, sent me an interesting link:

Now that was a novel perspective. Some quotes:

Quote:
2 January 2006 ยท Christian Science Monitor

Ms. Fallot is a recent convert to Islam. In the eyes of the police, that makes her potentially dangerous.

The death of Muriel Degauque, a Belgian convert who blew herself up in a suicide attack on US troops in Iraq last month, has drawn fresh attention to the rising number of Islamic converts in Europe, most of them women.

"The phenomenon is booming, and it worries us," the head of the French domestic intelligence agency, Pascal Mailhos [..]. The difficulty, security experts explain, is that while the police may be alert to possible threats from young men of Middle Eastern origin, they are more relaxed about white European women. [..]

Ms. Fallot, who converted to Islam three years ago after asking herself spiritual questions to which she found no answers in her childhood Catholicism, says she finds the suspicion her new religion attracts "wounding." "For me," she adds, "Islam is a message of love, of tolerance and peace."

It is a message that appeals to more and more Europeans as curiosity about Islam has grown since 9/11, say both Muslim and non-Muslim researchers. Although there are no precise figures, observers who monitor Europe's Muslim population estimate that several thousand men and women convert each year.

Only a fraction of converts are attracted to radical strands of Islam, they point out, and even fewer are drawn into violence. A handful have been convicted of terrorist offenses, such as Richard Reid, the "shoe bomber" and American John Walker Lindh, who was captured in Afghanistan.

Admittedly patchy research suggests that more women than men convert, experts say, but that - contrary to popular perception - only a minority do so in order to marry Muslim men. "That used to be the most common way, but recently more [women] are coming out of conviction," says Haifa Jawad, who teaches at Birmingham University in Britain.

[Fallot explains that] she liked the way "Islam demands a closeness to God. Islam is simpler, more rigorous, and it's easier because it is explicit. I was looking for a framework; man needs rules and behavior to follow. Christianity did not give me the same reference points."

Those reasons reflect many female converts' thinking, say experts who have studied the phenomenon. "A lot of women are reacting to the moral uncertainties of Western society," says Dr. Jawad. "They like the sense of belonging and caring and sharing that Islam offers."

Others are attracted by "a certain idea of womanhood and manhood that Islam offers," suggests Karin van Nieuwkerk, who has studied Dutch women converts. "There is more space for family and motherhood in Islam, and women are not sex objects." [..]

After making their decision, some converts take things slowly, adopting Muslim customs bit by bit: Fallot, for example, does not yet feel ready to wear a head scarf [..]. Others jump right in, eager for the exoticism of a new religion, and become much more pious than fellow mosque-goers who were born into Islam. Such converts, taking an absolutist approach, appear to be the ones most easily led into extremism.

The early stages of a convert's discovery of Islam "can be quite a sensitive time," says Batool al-Toma, who runs the "New Muslims" program at the Islamic Foundation in Leicester, England.

"You are not confident of your knowledge, you are a newcomer [..]," Ms. Al-Toma explains. A few converts feel "such a huge desire to fit in and be accepted that they are ready to do just about anything," she says.

"New converts feel they have to prove themselves," adds Dr. Ranstorp. "Those who seek more extreme ways of proving themselves can become extraordinarily easy prey to manipulation."

At the same time, says al-Toma, converts seeking respite in Islam from a troubled past - such as Degauque, who had reportedly drifted in and out of drugs and jobs before converting to Islam - might be persuaded that such an "ultimate action" as a suicide bomb attack offered an opportunity for salvation and forgiveness. [..]

Another article, last month, digs further into the image of the white convert as specific risk:

My (not so brief) summary:

Quote:
Associated Press
ELAINE GANLEY
January 16, 2006

Mathieu Pawlak is one of about 50,000 French, and tens of thousands of others across Europe and North America, who have converted to the Muslim faith. Like most converts, he is a mainstream Muslim.

But intelligence services are tracking a disturbing new phenomenon: A growing number of Westerners are giving their hearts to radical Islam and some may try to prove themselves through holy war.

"This phenomenon is in full expansion," said Pascal Mailhos, head of the French intelligence service. Some 1,600 converted Muslims follow the rigorous Salafist brand of Islam that breeds today's radicals - out of about 5,000 Salafists in France, he said.

Converts are seen as potentially naive, malleable and zealous in their newfound faith, easy prey for radicals. The path to Islam often starts with a marriage or through friendship. But prisons inmates, and people at loggerheads with society, may also take refuge in Islam.

"Nowadays, Islam is a kind of ideal means to express discontent with society and the Western world in general," said a sociologist who wrote books on conversions in prison and suicide bombers.

The Dutch government has said that "various Dutch converts are experiencing a radicalization process." French intelligence is so concerned it conducted a detailed survey of 1,610 Muslim converts. It concluded that 3 percent of the converts "belong to or are in the circle of the movement of Islamist combatants." At least three Muslim converts in France have been convicted in recent years on terror-related charges.

In France, only several dozen converts are "potentially violent," said Jean-Luc Marret. But one Islamic Internet site where al-Qaida has posted claims recently carried a portrait of "the future al-Qaida soldier" - a secretly converted Muslim "born in Europe of European and Christian parents."

Those pointing out the risk certainly seem to have a point. I can add examples to those mentioned above.

When last year Dutch police smoked two men with, allegedly, terrorist plans, out of their downtown Hague hideout in a large-scale operation that ended with a gunfight and the men throwing a handgrenade, they turned out to be non-Arab converts to Islam, born of American parents.

Similarly, the 17-year old who was caught making a bomb that he wanted to use to kill Dutch far-right politician Geert Wilders was a converted white Dutchman.

The Muslim extremist who sent death threats to Belgian Senator Mimount Bousakla was a white Flemish convert. And another white Dutch convert to Islam raised a media storm last year with controversial statements in a TV show.

What's the message? Interesting, in any case.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 734 • Replies: 10
No top replies

nimh

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:14 am
ba-bumpabumpbump...

Any informed opinions or guesstimates?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:24 am
I have noticed for years that some of the most militant of people are those who have converted to some religion in their adult life. It is as if they have to prove to the world that they are the best kind of (place name of religion here.........................). In the case of radical Islam, the converts could prove most dangerous.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:43 am
Hmmmm....converts to ANYTHING are often more extreme, I suppose. Not, it seems, that many converts to Islam are especially extreme...but still, there seems to be an anti pluralism etc message there.

And...an attraction to "simplicity" and such....is this what is drawing more and more people to fundamentalisms?

"I just don't have to think any more"?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:52 am
So, what you're saying is "Born again" people are dangerous? Yup, there was this one case of a born again Christian being completely negligent in her job as social carer for children.

And then we've got some other "born again" Christian to be wary of... *glances over towards the US*
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:56 am
Sometimes English apathy is a good thing
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 10:50 am
Christian Science Monitor wrote:
The phenomenon is booming, and it worries us," the head of the French domestic intelligence agency, Pascal Mailhos [..]. The difficulty, security experts explain, is that while the police may be alert to possible threats from young men of Middle Eastern origin, they are more relaxed about white European women.

This blessed phenomenon should not worry the officials. Women (and men also) are choosing the truth. No one is forcing them to revert to Islam.

Although there are no precise figures, observers who monitor Europe's Muslim population estimate that several thousand men and women convert each year.

All Praise be to Allah (God) alone.

Admittedly patchy research suggests that more women than men convert

Indeed. Islam is the only way of life which uplifts women and gives them their full rights.

dlowan wrote:
And...an attraction to "simplicity" and such....is this what is drawing more and more people to fundamentalisms?

The word fundamentalist is often hurled at Muslims, either directly or indirectly. Let's analyze the meaning of it:

A fundamentalist is a person who follows and adheres to the fundamentals of the doctrine or theory he is following. For a person to be a good doctor, he should know, follow, and practise the fundamentals of medicine. In other words, he should be a fundamentalist in the field of medicine. For a person to be a good mathematician, he should know, follow and practise the fundamentals of mathematics. He should be a fundamentalist in the field of mathematics.

One cannot paint all fundamentalists with the same brush. One cannot categorize all fundamentalists as either good or bad. Such a categorization of any fundamentalist will depend upon the field or activity in which he is a fundamentalist. A fundamentalist robber or thief causes harm to society and is therefore undesirable. A fundamentalist doctor, on the other hand, benefits society and earns much respect.

A true Muslim does not shy away from being a fundamentalist. I am proud to be a fundamentalist Muslim because, I know that the fundamentals of Islam are beneficial to humanity and the whole world. There is not a single fundamental of Islam that causes harm or is against the interests of the human race as a whole. Many people harbour misconceptions about Islam and consider several teachings of Islam to be unfair or improper. This is due to insufficient and incorrect knowledge of Islam. If one critically analyzes the teachings of Islam with an open mind, one cannot escape the fact that Islam is full of benefits both at the individual and collective levels.

And Allah knows best.
0 Replies

kudlaite

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:29 pm
The above post is interesting. "Allah knows best" ??? In my opinion, any religion that dictates how you live your life, or gives you a definitive way to attain salvation, and does not ask you to use your own brain and think what is your purpose in your passage through earth, is not serving its purpose as a religion. Any religion that says do this, this, this and don't do that and that and that... and you are a good man, is not serving its purpose. The purpose of any religion should be to give us a meaning to life, allow us to be good and MORE IMPORTANTLY recognize the good in others. I find it difficult to believe to believe in a religion that propagates the idea that its believers have a halo around their heads and the non-believers do not deserve to live.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:37 am
Thank you kudlaite for your important comments,

kudlaite wrote:
"Allah knows best" ???

A human being, even if he/she is so knowledgeable, intelligent and clever, will never have an infinite and unlimited knowledge. So I do not shy away from saying "Allah knows best", since Allah (the Arabic word for God) is the only One who knows everything.

kudlaite wrote:
and does not ask you to use your own brain and think what is your purpose in your passage through earth

Your (and my) Creator Allah, invites Muslims to use their brains to come to the truth. Words like: "Will ye then consider not?", "Will ye not understand?", "Will ye not then see?" are mentioned several times in the Glorious Qur'an.

kudlaite wrote:
In my opinion, any religion that dictates how you live your life, or gives you a definitive way to attain salvation

and
kudlaite wrote:
Any religion that says do this, this, this and don't do that and that and that

When a person accepts a religion as his/her way of life, he/she has to follow its commands. Islam literally means "Submitting your will to almighty Allah (God)". So in the case of Islam, there is no problem, since you are submitting your will to the One who created you, who knows what is good and what is bad.

kudlaite wrote:
The purpose of any religion should be to give us a meaning to life, allow us to be good

I agree with you.

1) Islam gives me a meaning to my life, it explains why I am created, it clearly defines the purpose of this life as well as what will happen in the afterlife.
2) Islam allows us to be good: "Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in Allah."[Glorious Qur'an 3:110]

kudlaite wrote:
and MORE IMPORTANTLY recognize the good in others.

But, who is able to define "the good": the person or the religion?

kudlaite wrote:
I find it difficult to believe to believe in a religion that propagates the idea that its believers have a halo around their heads and the non-believers do not deserve to live.

I don't know whether you mean Islam or not, but saying "I am Muslim" does not automatically "give you a halo around your head". A Muslim has to be a sincere and true Muslim. Faith in Islam is not only an acknowledgement with the tongue, but also a belief in the heart and an implemention of the Commandments of Allah.

And Allah knows best.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:09 pm
I dont know if Muslim1 is a recent convert to Islam, but she sure talks like one. To what lengths would you go Muslim1 to establish the Caliphate?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:11 am
kudlaite wrote:
In my opinion, any religion that dictates how you live your life, or gives you a definitive way to attain salvation, and does not ask you to use your own brain and think what is your purpose in your passage through earth, is not serving its purpose as a religion. Any religion that says do this, this, this and don't do that and that and that... and you are a good man, is not serving its purpose.

I beg to differ. A religion that does this IS serving its purpose. Religion is meant to control society and make people conform. No better way to make people conform than make sure they think the same way about things...
0 Replies