Legend of Zelda = The greatest RPG series of all time!!!

Lucien

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 10:12 pm
Dude, there are so many great RPG's out there, but the Legend Of Zelda series is the best. It has the most replay value of any RPG I've ever played. (Yes, I love Final Fantasy, but the turn-based combat thing is just annoying after a while...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,047 • Replies: 36
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:52 pm
Zelda is cute and fun, but Morrowind is the king of RPGs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:37 am
None of them can touch the Baldurs Gate series . . .
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:59 am
Setanta wrote:
None of them can touch the Baldurs Gate series . . .

And BG doesn't hold a candle to the Ultima series.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 08:10 am
The Zeldas are GREAT, but are they real RPG's? Too much action to be a RPG for me... Confused
0 Replies

Lucien

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 08:13 pm
Radical Edward wrote:
The Zeldas are GREAT, but are they real RPG's? Too much action to be a RPG for me... Confused

Well, they are RPG's with a lot of platformer elements, as well as a real-time combat system. But the ever-present RPG puzzles are there, as well as the relatively well-written plotline.
0 Replies

Drowned By Darkness

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 04:34 pm
Yes, the Zelda games are RPG games, but it is just a different style. I actually like the fighting RPGs such as pokemon and FF, or BOF. I have always liked leveling up characters.
0 Replies

Lucien

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 04:25 pm
Drowned By Darkness wrote:
Yes, the Zelda games are RPG games, but it is just a different style. I actually like the fighting RPGs such as pokemon and FF, or BOF. I have always liked leveling up characters.

Yeah, leveling up is great, because you can see your character get stronger over time as you put work into him. Unfortunately, most of the RPG's out there that have level systems also are turn-based. Turn-based battling gets kind of boring after a while, because you do the same basic things all the time (like scrolling through menus). And random battles are the most annoying thing ever, especially when you are trying to find a city that's in a really big area on a map.
0 Replies

graemedaulby

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 02:30 pm
zelda is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i played one of the older versions ad i think it rocks, yo!
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 02:50 pm
Theres nothing like pure RPG as in Dungeons and Dragons. Everything else is just Japanese-linear-answerfunnythings-kind of RPG...

Baldurs Gate # 1.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:37 am
I actually like the Tales stuff. Tales of Phantasia was pretty good as was Tales of Symphonia. Good RPG stuff without the stuffy turn-based battles. I wonder what the other Tales games are like?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:42 am
I gotta weigh in on behalf of the Baldurs Gate series. Followed by Ultima in the no. 2 position.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:47 am
Of all the Infinity engine games, BG was the best. Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter were good games, very entertaining, but locked into the synoptic sequence. In Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast, and in Baldur's Gate II: Shadow's of Amn and Throne of Baal, you have more latitude to choose the course you will take, and it is possible to move back and forth in Baldur's Gate/Tales of the Sword Coast from one set of mini-quests to the other. I also liked the BG cast of characters which allowed one to make up a variety of parties. In Icewind Dale, you make up your party, and that's it, you're stuck with what you've chosen. In BG II: SoA, i have taken the route in which you create all six members of your party, but i had a lot of problems with the game engine as a result. There are also lots and lots of wonderful unofficial mods available for all of the Infinity engine games. I bought, but never installed and played Neverwinter Nights, so i can't comment on that. I got Icewind Dale II, and played it part of the way, but never finished the game. I liked all of the new aspects of character attributes, but it was hard to know what to choose, and what value it conferred on your characters.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:48 am
Final Fantasy. Especially VII. I'm obsessed with it. It's a sickness.
Really, though, I've enjoyed every RPG I've ever played. But this one is definately my favorite.
And, from what I gather, there are four (I believe) more movies, besides Advent Children, coming out based on it. Good news for those of us who like it, ammunition for those that hate it.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 09:45 am
Setanta, you bought Neverwinter Nights, and never installed it? Wow!

umm... why? Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:12 pm
I was still deeply involved in BGII:SoA. I would create a character in BG, take them through the whole shootin' match, and then export the character. With that character, i'd start a game of BGII:SoA, and play that through. The number of possibilities is seemingly endless. I had a fighter theif, finished BG, exported her to BGII, and for the first time, went through the theives guild subquest--it was fascinating, and i made better money running the theives guild than i had ever reliably made doing anything else.

I started with Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter, and had added the Tales of the Luremaster unofficial expansion mod, and then discovered and added the Project Auril mod. After that, i began playing the game in "heart of fury" mode, which is the "insane" setting in these games. When you think how many hours it takes to play one of these games, and then the expansions, then with all the mods--well, it should be evident.

One of these days i'll install and play the NWN, but i just haven't had any interest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:21 pm
Also, i used a mod for BGII:SoA, the Darkest Day, before i had ever completed a game in the normal, official mode. I eventually, though, found that i thought it ruined play balance, and by that time, i was deep into creating characters in BG for export to BGII. You can start with a character who has 161000 ex points, and whom you have developed in a manner not possible starting with a new character in BGII. Well, i uninstalled Darkest Day, and started playing with the imported BG characters. It makes it a whole new world. It is possible to spend 200 or more hours on a single game, without even counting the time to play BG/TSC to create the character. Who had time for anything else. I would occasionally play IWD/HOW in the insane mode for a break, but i was heavily into the BGII.

What i need to do now is get the Ascension mod and the Redemption mod, and play those.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:57 pm
NWN is a very fun game for those interested in the D&D system. Well made, and there are literally thousands of player mods and online communities to join. Awesome job on that one.

I've been playing Oblivion, the new Elder Scrolls game lately; and it is bad f*cking ass. Easily 500 hours of gameplay, not counting mods and expansions. Check it out if ya get the chance.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:10 pm
All of the Infinity engine games are D&D based--the IWDII game was based on the D&D Third Edition rules. What you say about NWN is true of all of the Infinity games--there are literally hundreds of mods and expansions, and thousands and thousands of web pages devoted to them. Maybe one of these days i'll get around to doing the NWN thing.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 09:42 am
Woah, you are hardcore Setanta. After playing through BG2 for the first time, I cheated my way around using the console. That was fun!

Yeah, Oblivion is HUGE, but that only makes me afraid of playing it. For some reason, I also can't play as an evil character on an RPG. It makes me feel like a bad person. Embarrassed . How wussy is that!

Playing D&D with paper and dice was THE thing. Has anyone tried MUD's?
0 Replies