What did you plant this weekend?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 05:11 pm
I've done quick search in Google about DIATOMACEOUS earth, and found that some are not safe for humans. Here's the link: http://www.usaemergencysupply.com/faq/diatomaceousearth.html
c.i.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 05:46 pm
c.i. : the warning label on the containers states that one should avoid breathing in of the substance, but as your ref. site states it is even mixed with grain supplies to deter (kill) insects. i have been assured by a neighbour who is a microbiologist that diat. earth is about as safe an insecticide as you can find - of course, you could always use a pair of scissors (not the kitchen scissors, please!) to make life unplesant for the slugs. have you tried the BEER IN A SAUCER method to catch slugs - IT DOES WORK; you'll have to sink a saucer into the ground and pour some beer into it; in the morning you should find some soused and happy slugs waiting for you! good luck! hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 05:54 pm
Will they be ready for butter and garlic sauce? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 06:36 pm
We're back! When did that happen?

I planted, today, a nearly full flat of red and white impatiens. They were left-overs from my landlady's planters and, though I'm not a big impatiens fan, I couldn't toss them out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 06:40 pm
I planted a full flat of petunias, myself. They were here when we moved in and they just seem to go, so I re-plant each year. Also a bunch of snapdragons in the garden and three container gardens with this and that. The sozlet was an actual help this year, especially with watering, instead of the "help" in the sense of pulling petals off of newly planted flowers that she was last year.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 06:42 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 12:05 am
Bizarre, the grotty old hibiscus in front of our house has responded to all this cold, wet weather by producing 10 (!) flowers! Everything else has curled up its toes. The backyard is now very unsafe for children and adults of small stature. What do recommend to spray to discourage squatters and gypsy caravans?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 10:26 am
Mr Still, It seems you've already prepared yourself. Your post; "The backyard is now very unsafe for children and adults of small stature. What do recommend to spray to discourage squatters and gypsy caravans?" It would seem that if your backyard is "unsafe for children and adults" that should discourage "squatters and gypsy caravans." Put up a sign. c.i.
neko nomad

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm setting out some daffodils around the base of the birdbath.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:42 pm
Eight daffodils/narcissi now have a home:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/nekonomad/nekonomad075A.jpg

Would you belive this picture was taken a little after
4:30 in the afternoon-- it's been dark and cloudy like this all day.

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 04:47 pm
@neko nomad,
Quote:
Would you belive this picture was taken a little after
4:30 in the afternoon-- it's been dark and cloudy like this all day.

Gosh. Changing seasons, neko?
But did you get any rain from those clouds? (I'd love a bit of rain to fall on my (suuny & warm today) garden!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 04:50 pm
I potted six small (4") white mums in small pots, and they're now in my garden in the back yard.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:16 pm
@msolga,
I'm patting myself on the back for getting my irises and spring bulbs in just ahead of some welcome rainfall; the soil needed a good soak, it was so dry. This darkness is ,like you say, a normal part of seasonal change, being located under the cold air-warm air boundary.

Just last week I came across this out of season lilac blossom:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/nekonomad/nekonomad076A.jpg

I marked that stem to see if it blooms this time next year to determine if I have a significant mutation on that plant.
0 Replies