im new here

eroded

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:18 pm
Hey everyone! Just wanted to say hi since I'm new here. I'm here to learn some cool info and share things that I know. I amd really into film and music, especially in old movies. I have been interested in the Titanic for years and am wondering if anyone else here has discussions regarding Titanic?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 570 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:25 pm
Hi eroded, welcome!

The first thing I think of with Titanic is that it was one of the very first movies shown with rear-view captioning -- in fact I think it was THE first. I happened to have the good luck to live in L.A. at the time (that was where the technology originated and was first used). (I'm deaf.)

I've always wondered how much of the impact the movie had on me was because of that. Open-captioned movies are typically B-movies, not first-run blockbuster types. So I hadn't seen that kind of movie in a theater for a good 10 years or so when I saw Titanic -- and it blew me away. This despite the fact that by all objective measures, it should've annoyed me as a piece of schmaltz. ;-)
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 06:31 pm
Never heard of rear-view captioning before...pretty neat.

http://www.designboom.com/portrait/rufus_rear.html

Titanic is a very expensive, very well made chic flick :wink: It's been running on tv lately, and I've been watched parts of it in passing. There are several historical flubbs in it, but they are minor things that only Titanic buffs will catch. If everything was made just as it was without a little "Hollywood treatment" it would just be fancy documentary.

I like Leo....actually hated him when he was on "Growing Pains", but grew to like him in "Gilbert Grape" and "Basketball Diaries". I figured that Titanic would sink his career, too much exposure tends to do that, and it's hard to top the biggest movie of all time. But he has done well since....Gangs Of New York was excellent, and I'm looking foward to seeing him play Mr Hughes.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 04:43 pm
Leo was great in "The Aviator," especially the scenes where Hughes begins to go a bit wacko.

"Titantic" production values were classic Hollywood and I am sure that although much concentration of detail made it look authentic that Cameron had to choose between dramatic fluidity and merely documentiing the sinking. I thought he succeeded but there are those who don't care for the film -- and almost everyone whose written a bad opinion concentrates on their hatred of DeCaprio (something I think is almost irrational).
0 Replies

eroded

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 12:08 pm
Titanic the ship, not the movie
That rear-view captioning system sounds pretty hi-tech! Being a film major, I'm surprised I had never heard of itÂ…Thank you for enlightening me!

Also, when I said I was interested in the Titanic, I meant the actual ship and its sinking. I was about 13 when the movie came out, so I hadn't really been exposed to much information about it prior to watching the blockbuster film. However, nowadays I actually work with the History Channel occasionally, working with a documentary called Titanic's Final Moments. So I have learned more about the Titanic as a real, historical event.

I agree with 2packsaday. I thought Leo was great in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape. And Kate Winslet has become one of my favorite actresses!
0 Replies