Has anyone seen "Hidalgo"?

Kehoe

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 09:45 pm
I saw this last night on dvd.
It starred the gorgeous Viggo Mortensen.
It was about Frank T. Hopkins, who was the greatest long distance rider, and his beautiful horse, Hidalgo.

Obviously, I love Viggo Very Happy
But this was a really good movie.

Has anyone else seen this?
Did you like it or not?
I'd love to know your views on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 811 • Replies: 12
No top replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 11:33 pm
From my pov,yeah,it's ok,nuthing special.Look here for other reviews

Hidalgo reviews
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 11:40 pm
Thanks for the reply & the link.
I'll check that out now. Very Happy
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 11:52 pm
Apart from LOTR,Viggo also had a part in Carlito's Way and Crimson Tide which are much better films IMHO ( but no horses ) :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 10:08 am
I enjoyed the story and action in "Hidalgo" but I don't believe I would make it a point to see it again but if it's free on cable, it could capture my attention in some years to come. The reviews were very mixed:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hidalgo/
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 07:55 pm
Thanks barrythemod & Lightwizard Very Happy
I really liked it, so I was interested in others views. Very Happy
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 09:55 am
I saw Hidalgo recently on DVD and I thought it was a real period piece (the period being now: A cowboy beating barbaric Arabs at their own game... get my drift)

I looked up Frank T Hopkins and discovered that most of his allegedly autobiographic stories were in fact enjoyable fiction (There have been many more of such mythomaniacs in history. The story of Grey Owl comes to mind), so it was rather a gimmick by Disney to claim the film was based on a true story.

When it comes to stories and reality coming together, I rather liked Big Fish more.
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:47 am
Paaskynen wrote:
I saw Hidalgo recently on DVD and I thought it was a real period piece (the period being now: A cowboy beating barbaric Arabs at their own game... get my drift)

I looked up Frank T Hopkins and discovered that most of his allegedly autobiographic stories were in fact enjoyable fiction (There have been many more of such mythomaniacs in history. The story of Grey Owl comes to mind), so it was rather a gimmick by Disney to claim the film was based on a true story.

When it comes to stories and reality coming together, I rather liked Big Fish more.

That sounds like Hollywood.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good movie Wink
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:19 am
I'll have to check it out, I really like Viggo and thought it looked good when it came out. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:41 am
I loved it. I'm still not sure why.
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:42 am
I have Hidalgo on DVD at home, I haven't watched it yet - so it's a really good film, worth watching?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:53 am
Depends on your taste, but I thought it was good. Might as well watch and decide for yourself.
0 Replies

olidude171717

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 02:55 pm
Ah i saw Hidalgo at the cinema when it was out, i found it quite enjoyable but nothing amazing, with average acting and some fun action.
0 Replies