NOW Spokeswoman asks, "Was It Born?"

ferrous

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 07:06 pm
No Cosequences For Our Actions
Lola wrote:
"it" doesn't have the same or similar history or connotation for most people that "nigger" does. Could I say that for you to say "it" is as bad as "nigger" offends me so I demand that you never say it? Yes I could, but you would be in your rights to say it anyway.

I could demand, that you never use the word again in my presence, or I could simply say that, "I am offended by the word, Please refrain from using the term "It" to define another human being."

Yes, one would still be in their "right" to say it, but what kind of a person uses a derogatory word, knowing that it offends the other person. In real life, I would seek an apology and if none is forth coming have the person removed from my presence, and/or file a defamation of character or sexual discrimination lawsuit against the offending insensitive creature.

Alas, this is not the real word, but only one filled with shadowy, cyberspace junkies. We're all little Walter Mitty's, trying to impress others with our personae. That's why there is no real consequences for our actions or what we say. A2K was established to stop the flame wars, that were rampant in Abuzz, but I can still sense a lot of hostility here.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 07:13 pm
sozobe wrote:
ferrous wrote:
sozobe wrote:
ferrous, the problem with laws is that they have to be the right thing in all possible permutations.

If a law is made that says that people can be prosecuted for killing a fetus, it is a very short hop skip and a jump away from prosecuting people who seek an abortion. You, for example, say that life begins at conception. So if a woman is 12 weeks pregnant, and is punched in the stomach, and loses the fetus, that should be criminal, right? The person who punched her should be prosecuted for murder, right?

But what if a woman is raped, and finds out at 12 weeks that she is pregnant, and chooses to abort. Should she be prosecuted for murder?

In no way do I support this bill. I transposed one extreme "the title of this article, with the opposite extreme in the body of the text.

Hopefully, somewhere in between, there is a workable solution.

Yes, if someone punches a woman in the stomach, it is a crime, and that person should be punished to the full extent of the law. Was it a misdemeanor or a felony? Was the child harmed? Was is an accident, manslaughter, or premeditated? Did the assailant, know that the woman was pregnant? A court of law would decide these things.

If a woman finds that she is pregnant, and decides she doesn't want the child, then she is entitled to seek an abortion. That is the law. There are already time lines established in determining when it is too late to abort. I support these laws. Even though, I believe that life begins at the time of conception, this Point X is only valid for me, and I live my life by it. We have already seen, that this Point X is arbitrary. I was hoping to get some dialogue in this article, to established some agreed upon point, when the fetus becomes a viable human being, but the discussion seems to have mired in "better to have no law, than to regulate laws inside a woman's womb.

I find it ironic, that liberal California has one of these laws on the books, while the Federal government, fails to act. Like I said, a law could be written satisfy the needs, while safe guarding a woman's right to "Choice."

I have written a letter to Senator Feinstein (D-CA), asking her not to support this bill, but to see what can be done to resolve this issue.

Darn, this is a qoute within in a qoute, within a qoute... Oh well.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 07:19 pm
aggression is part of being human, ferrous. I'm sorry if you're offended by using "it" to refer to a human being. But babies whose sex is not yet known are often referred to as "it", that word being neutral. It's possible for you to request that no one use any term you consider to be offensive, but I think you'll have trouble finding help from those who keep the peace unless the word is one agreed on by many to be offensive. Meantime, it might be a good idea, if you want to enjoy yourself in this world, including a2k, to develop a bit thicker skin. We're all here together trying to express ourselves and co-exist. Fiinding a way to express our rights while not offending the other's is a tricky business. But the problem cannot be solved by one person giving up more of their rights than another. And yes, I think we all are trying to impress each other, influence each other.........that's called relating. I see nothing to be ashamed of in it.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 07:31 pm
cavfancier wrote:
At this point, all other tangents, moral and/or religious, regarding the outcome of such an occurence, are irrelevant to this issue, unless someone wants to start another post in another forum, say philosophy and debate, or religion, or even politics. My apologies for being grumpy, it's been a long day Rolling Eyes

No apology for my grumpiness, but Your discussion of the legal aspects of this article, are irrelevant. Take it elsewhere if you please. This was never the intent of this article, and I find it highly offensive that some have redirected it.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:06 pm
"Is it a boy or a girl?

Sometimes one simple question about a newborn baby can be answered only with heart-breaking uncertainty.

Genital anomalies at birth - also called genital birth defects - force parents to push aside the blue and pink bunting. Instead of the traditional festivities that accompany birth, there is a gut-wrenching period of days or weeks when a baby cannot be named because the question of gender cannot be answered. In some cases, babies are born with a micropenis (smaller than an inch). Some such babies are actually female. Other cases involve girls who have an oversized clitoris. While their gender is not a mystery, some may not have internal reproductive organs.

Every year, about 2,000 infants are born with genital birth defects in the United States. The figure is an estimate because there is no national registry of such newborns.

There is no denying that these births trigger an immediate crisis for a family.

"It's as bad as any other congenital problem," says Dr. Richard Auchus, assistant professor of internal medicine at UT Southwestern. "It's emotionally traumatic and it can be devastating for the family, depending on their ethnic and religious background."
The staffs in most delivery rooms are trained not to overreact at the sight of malformed genitals. To avoid causing the parents additional anxiety when a baby's gender is not obvious, all references are made simply to the baby. Personnel are cautioned to never call a baby it.

These rare birth defects also represent a unique challenge for the doctors who must advise the family on what to do..."

Lola, I do have a very thin skin, when a child, unborn or not is referred to as it. Yes, during early pregnancy, the child is refered to as "It." But there comes a time in developement of the child, that the sex is determined. Sometimes, it takes a lot longer than expected. Sometimes it is never really known. I was offended by Apisa's questioning of who has the right to object to the term "It" when refering to a human being. Well. when that human being is my wife, I insist that I have the right, to question such insensitivity.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:44 pm
You have a right to many things, ferrous, but how seriously will you be taken by others is a different matter. If you're too up tight and not open to meanings others assign to the words they use, you will be discounted by most reasoning people. Words, fantasies and images all have different meanings to each person based on who they are and their environmental experiences. You may be offended by something that is not offensive to another. It's best, I think to keep an open mind and maintain an attitude of trying to understand what the other person means by what they say rather than assuming you know, or that what they say, the words they use have only one meaning, the one you assign to it. It's a complex world out here, I hope you'll learn to enjoy it a bit more than you seem to do now. You seem to be expending a lot of energy telling other people how they should talk and live their lives. Folks don't generally take kindly to this.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:26 pm
fishin' wrote:
She did in the post that I responded to. Go back and read it and the quotes of her post in our intervening posts here.

You're right, I was quite wrong there.

fishin' wrote:
It's absurd? Is that a fact or your personal opinion?

100% personal opinion. I did not add that disclaimer because the same is true whenever that word is used.

fishin' wrote:
Can you name for me one single law that that is currently in existance that DIDN'T come about as the result of a percieved need to correct what someone saw as an injustice or miscarriage of justice?

No, I do not know enough about law to provide such information.

fishin' wrote:
We have thousands of laws that exist because someone committed an act which others thought an affront to society.

I do know enough to agree here.

fishin' wrote:
And umm.. Why did you feel the need to change your statement here?

Because I don't like to repeat the same sentence twice. It's needless and uneccessarily redundant and repetitive.

fishin' wrote:
The original comment that I addressed was "This is unmitigated bull, protecting the woman's right to bear her child is covered under other unreated laws." Now it's "Explain how a person can willfully kill an unborn child against the mother's consent with impunity."

I wanted to make the case is a more intellectually honest way. The first way was not the best way.

fishin' wrote:
You claimed there were "other unrelated laws" that cover the issue - What are they? What other laws address an attack and punishes the act of harming the fetus?

There are a host of acts that do not have specific mention in law. They are, however, subject to other laws. What I'm saying is that the pound of flesh, at the time, was protected by the fact that spilling blood was forbidden. Now, some contend that since it's not possible to harm a fetus against the mother's consent without violating other laws. And some contend that the legal coverage is sufficient.

fishin' wrote:
Charging the attacker with killing the mother doesn't do it.

This is the central issue and precisely the opposite opinion is what others are espousing. Can you elaborate on why it is not enough? Since this is what it all biols down to it wold be nice to state reasons why.

An example for those who maintain the the law is not needed is that they think current laws that can be used to prosecute acts that harm a fetus are enough and that defining this legally will set a precedent that can be capitalized elsewhere.

I think that is a valid concern. Why do you think that the current law is not enough?

fishin' wrote:
The law and penalty is identical if the woman isn't pregnant in that case.

And some make the case that this is the way it should be. Especially considering that these factors can sway judge or jury to impose the maximum sentence for the crimes that the act would fall under.

fishin' wrote:
Again, what other Federal law creates a punitive criminal damage for involuntarily terminating another persons fetus?

Again, some contend that none are needed since they can't imagine a situation in which such an act could be done without violating other laws that can be used to punish the offender.

fishin' wrote:
And please.. explain this one to me: "Your example does not illustrate impunity. It illustrates the lack of a law that is the subject at hand."

What?? It doesn't illustrate impunity (Merriam-Webster definition: "exemption or freedom from punishment, harm, or loss") yet it illustrates the lack of a law? If there is no law then aren't you pretty much free from punishment? You are debating yourself here...

Is the person in your example going to be tried for the act that resulted in the fetus's death?

fishin' wrote:

Again, show me. Find me a single sports team (the example you chose) where the value of the team is based on the flesh of the members of that team. I've seen things like projected ticket sales revenue, players salaries, advertising revenue and a lot of other things included in those sorts of numbers but I've yet to see a price tag put of human flesh on any balance sheet.

I'too lazy to find you an article but many sports allow you to "buy a player". You actually buy the "pass" or the rights to the player but you can trade the player or sell him/ for money. It would not be too much trouble to find but I think you know what I'm talking about and intend to argue that semantics say they are sold while the law makes it less implicit.

The flesh does not find it's way onto the ledger but the money spent to aquire the rights to said flesh does. The players , an asset to the company, are often insured and are frequently not allowed under the policy to engage in certain acts. Sky diving for example. For all intents and purposes they are a bought and sold commodity.

fishin' wrote:
It's called slavery - a practice that the entire world has agreed is an abhorant practice and outlawed on the basis that humans AREN'T property!

The re-emergence of slavery would be a terrible thing. It's a splendid principle that no human be owned. What some contend is that until the baby is born (or reaches a certain stage) it is not yet a viable human. It sounds like a rather cold distinction to me but there is some basis for defining the baby and the mother as an individual until the baby is no longer carried by the mother.

I just got an idea for another odd topic (I've been in an odd topic groove). If a conjoined twin is killed, is it double murder?

fishin' wrote:
There are also numerous international laws against selling body parts (for those who don't consider a fetus to be "human"). Those who traffic in either are in violation of those laws.

Human organns can be aquired through a process in which a monetary transaction can be made and there are good reasons to prohibit their sale since the installation can be charged, covering the cost of the materiel.

fishin' wrote:
And whether or not the issue is exclusive to this subject or not is irrelevant (or as you prefer, a red herring..). The issue WAS raised in this thread.

I will not contest the anyone's right to raise those issues in an argument. Occasionally I raise an objection about the relevance of an argument to the debate (earlier you indicated that certain arguments were irrelevant bull so I won't spend too much time on this since I think we can agree that it happens).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 11:18 pm
Quote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
fishin' wrote:
Charging the attacker with killing the mother doesn't do it.

This is the central issue and precisely the opposite opinion is what others are espousing. Can you elaborate on why it is not enough? Since this is what it all biols down to it wold be nice to state reasons why.

Society as a whole has determined that pregnant women deserve special status/treatment. We have US and International laws/treaties that accord pregnant women special status recognizing that the woman is both carrying another human (or potential human as some may see the situation..) and in a weakened position to defend herself. The recognition of the pregnancy of women is present in US law in 30+ states but not in Federal law and in some state's laws where the murder of that pregnant women ignores the pregnancy. Let's be consistent. If we are going to recognize that there is something "special" about a woman being pregnant then that recognition should carry throughout the legal system. If the decision is that there is nothing "special" then lets drop all the other pretenses.

Quote:
An example for those who maintain the the law is not needed is that they think current laws that can be used to prosecute acts that harm a fetus are enough and that defining this legally will set a precedent that can be capitalized elsewhere.

I addressed this previously in comments to both Lola and dlowan:

Quote:
I understood that and have just as many concerns about what may happen and whether or not this is a step in that direction but it seems a bit foolish to me to oppose legislation because of what may or may not happen 6 steps further on down the road.

Right now there is a disconnect in the laws and that disconnect needs to be closed one way or the other. The proposed law itself has clear exemptions for actions taken by a medical professional and doesn't ban or limit abortions in any way so claims that THIS law would ban abortions don't hold water. The majority of arguments being listed don't provide justification for opposition to THIS law - they are arguments against future laws that may or may not ever happen.

and:

Quote:
Quote:
dlowan wrote:

Fishin' - I am not especially au fait with how the law works in America - but I would have thought that a possible concern for pro-choice people would be that, if the law were changed as proposed, once the first successful prosecution under such a law occurred, then lawyers acting for pro-life groups would be able to cite this as a relevant precedent re murder/manslaughter of a foetus and take it as far as the Supreme Court?

I'd guess that it probably is a concern as well but the proposed Federal Bill is pretty much identical to the laws that exist right now in 24 states (7 states have other laws that change the sentencing as you mentioned as well..) and there have been numerous convictions under the laws in those 24 states since the 1970s already. If someone wanted to appeal a case to the Supreme Court they could do so in any of those cases so adding the Federal level law doesn't create any new legal opportunity that I can see. I did a quick search and there have been appeals of some of these cases as high as the CA, LA, DE and SC State Supreme Courts and all have upheld the convictions although none of the appeals have challenged the validity of the law itself.

Quote:
fishin' wrote:
And please.. explain this one to me: "Your example does not illustrate impunity. It illustrates the lack of a law that is the subject at hand."

What?? It doesn't illustrate impunity (Merriam-Webster definition: "exemption or freedom from punishment, harm, or loss") yet it illustrates the lack of a law? If there is no law then aren't you pretty much free from punishment? You are debating yourself here...

Is the person in your example going to be tried for the act that resulted in the fetus's death?

No. He will be tried for the act that resulted in the mothers death and the fact that she was pregnant can not be entered into the courtroom..

Quote:
I'too lazy to find you an article but many sports allow you to "buy a player". You actually buy the "pass" or the rights to the player but you can trade the player or sell him/ for money. It would not be too much trouble to find but I think you know what I'm talking about and intend to argue that semantics say they are sold while the law makes it less implicit.

Come on now Craven. You're being intellectually dishonest here. Are you trying to say that there is no difference between property (which has zero rights, has no say, has no right to any compensation and is not given any consideration in matters) and someone that signs a contract and agrees to sell their personal services? Sports teams don't buy or sell the player's flesh. They are buying the players services and the player has full say in whether or not they want to be involved.

Quote:
The re-emergence of slavery would be a terrible thing. It's a splendid principle that no human be owned. What some contend is that until the baby is born (or reaches a certain stage) it is not yet a viable human. It sounds like a rather cold distinction to me but there is some basis for defining the baby and the mother as an individual until the baby is no longer carried by the mother.

That is no different than picking a random "Point X" as was done before in this thread and holds no more water than the idea of the fetus being a "person" at conception.

There are 2 USSC decisions that define "viability":

In Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113, 160 (1973), the Court said that a fetus is viable if it is "potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid"

In Colautti v. Franklin, 439 U.S. 379, 388-389 (1979), the Court said, "Viability is reached when, in the judgment of the attending physician on the particular facts of the case before him, there is a reasonable likelihood of the fetus' sustained survival outside the womb, with or without artificial support."

Viability is reached when the fetus is capable of being sustained outside the womb - not when they actually leave the womb. Any other "Point X' is a wish and has no standing in current law.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 11:37 pm
fishin' wrote:
Society as a whole has determined that pregnant women deserve special status/treatment. We have US and International laws/treaties that accord pregnant women special status recognizing that the woman is both carrying another human (or potential human as some may see the situation..) and in a weakened position to defend herself. The recognition of the pregnancy of women is present in US law in 30+ states but not in Federal law and in some state's laws where the murder of that pregnant women ignores the pregnancy. Let's be consistent. If we are going to recognize that there is something "special" about a woman being pregnant then that recognition should carry throughout the legal system. If the decision is that there is nothing "special" then lets drop all the other pretenses.

Would a compromise in which killing persons of a certain status (e.g pregnant, disabled) carried harsher penalties be acceptable to you or does the fetus have to enter the equation? Wot about the treble scenario I posed on the other thread and take it to sextuplets....

fishin' wrote:
No. He will be tried for the act that resulted in the mothers death and the fact that she was pregnant can not be entered into the courtroom..

Ok, I will recognize that killing the fetus is a consequence of an action that many (including myself) think should merit some punishment. But do you not agree that it is hard to do without being charged with a crime? That it's possible to punish people who do these acts under current law? I admit that such laws would help prosecute these people but I think it's highly relevant that they are going to be charged with a crime anyway. Whatever works, if they can nail Capone on taxes when they really wanted to peg something else like murder on him they can always prosecute these cases with existing laws.

fishin' wrote:

Come on now Craven. You're being intellectually dishonest here. Are you trying to say that there is no difference between property (which has zero rights, has no say, has no right to any compensation and is not given any consideration in matters) and someone that signs a contract and agrees to sell their personal services?

No, I'm not trying to say that. Just to add greys to black and white. I'd not characterize it as intellectually dishonest but I saw that angle coming and that's why I didn't spend time on a cite. I admitted that it can be argued that it was semantics.

Quote:

fishin' wrote:
That is no different than picking a random "Point X" as was done before in this thread and holds no more water than the idea of the fetus being a "person" at conception.

In Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113, 160 (1973), the Court said that a fetus is viable if it is "potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid"

In Colautti v. Franklin, 439 U.S. 379, 388-389 (1979), the Court said, "Viability is reached when, in the judgment of the attending physician on the particular facts of the case before him, there is a reasonable likelihood of the fetus' sustained survival outside the womb, with or without artificial support."

Viability is reached when the fetus is capable of being sustained outside the womb - not when they actually leave the womb. Any other "Point X' is a wish and has no standing in current law.

Those distinctions were precisely why I said "or reaches a certain stage". I did not cite because the specifics were not relevant to my argument (also the lazy thing). It was in no meams meant to e alleatory.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 05:16 am
I'm so happy I went to law school!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 05:26 am
There are schools for lawyers now? Very Happy
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 07:45 am
fishin' wrote:
Quote:

My gosh, 8 pages and a lot of nonsense, before we get to the point of this article. I simply wanted it defined, when the fetus is a viable human being. Now we have come up with a definitive legal definition to Point X. The only problem is, that modern medicine is not stagnant, and sometimes are laws, are.

The point that a fetus can live outside the mothers womb (Point X,) is heading all the way back to conception. Is our present laws dealing with this fact?

If this is true, I can see why Pro-Choice advocates are so worried. Could the pregnant mother be charged with murder, if the fetus was killed during the commission of a crime, she was perpetrating?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 09:03 am
ferrous wrote:

My gosh, 8 pages and a lot of nonsense, before we get to the point of this article. I simply wanted it defined, when the fetus is a viable human being. Now we have come up with a definitive legal definition to Point X. The only problem is, that modern medicine is not stagnant, and sometimes are laws, are.

As a suggestion, if that was the point you wanted defined then aks for it when you post the thread. When you quote an article teh rest of us have no way of knowing that is a question you have.

Quote:
The point that a fetus can live outside the mothers womb (Point X,) is heading all the way back to conception. Is our present laws dealing with this fact?

If this is true, I can see why Pro-Choice advocates are so worried.

A very valid concern indeed (the bill in question doesn't affect this concern either way though..). The point of viability is the point where the USSC (in Roe v. Wade) determined that the public has an interest and government can regulate. The laws DON'T keep up with changing medical technology so one could say that the point of viability changes almost daily. At some future time point X could very well be the time of conception.

Quote:
Could the pregnant mother be charged with murder, if the fetus was killed during the commission of a crime, she was perpetrating?

No state has enacted a law that specifically criminalizes conduct by the woman during pregnancy as murder. Prosecutors have used statutes prohibiting abuse or neglect of children to charge women for actions that potentially harm the fetus. Some have also argued that pregnant women "delivered" drugs to "minor" children - fetuses - through the umbilical cord. A mother's or newborn's positive drug test has led to charges of assault with a deadly weapon (cocaine), contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and possession of a controlled substance. In cases in which infants tested positive and died soon after birth, women have been charged with homicide or feticide. Some women have even been prosecuted for drinking alcohol or failing to follow a doctor's order to get bed rest or refrain from sexual intercourse during pregnancy.

There are just over 200 cases where women have been arrested and charged on these various counts in the last 30-40 years. 30 or so survived court challanges long enough to make it to trial with convictions as a result in 22 cases. 21 of those 22 convictions were overturned on appeal with the appeals courts/State Supreme Courts ruling that prosecutions under existing criminal statutes to punish women for their conduct during pregnancy are without legal basis, unconstitutional, or both. The 22nd case is still pending appeal.

So I guess the short answer is that it's been tried but, based on existing court precedents, attempting to charge a pregnant woman doesn't hold water.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 09:23 am
ferrous wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

ferrous wrote
Quote:
Your argument was too quick to split hairs rather than deal with the intent of the article.

New Haven simply wrote "It? Since when is a human being with a God-given human soul referred to as "it"?

Once again -- who are you to say that a human being has God-given virtures. And who are you to suppose that a human being cannot be referred to as an It?

Who am I: An activist/supporter for the care and treatment of Intersexed Persons.

According to Apisa: even though I find the word "It" just as offending as the word "Nigger," I have no right to demand that people stop using such a derogatory word to describe another human being.

If you find the word "It as offensive as the word "nigger" -- you probably are not bright enough to be discussing the kinds of topics being discussed here.

A fetus is an IT. Live with that -- and stop the inappropriate indignation about the word.

In any case, my comments went much further than the question about use of the word "it."

If you want to address the remainder of my comments, do so. I'll respond.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 10:24 am
Frank, I'd agree that at the earliest stages, until we come up with a gender-neutral equivalent to "him" and "her", a fetus is an "it". But Laci was pregnant with a boy, which she knew, and which the NOW spokesperson knew when she made that statement, so "Was he born?" would have been fine. I think it was a rhetorical choice made since one reacts differently to wondering whether "he" was a person with rights than whether "it" was a person with rights.

Fishin', I made a point a while back that I'm not sure registered, so I'll try making it again. The "late term abortion" debate contains many parallels to this debate, and what is happening (the bill hasn't been passed yet) is that the language of the bill goes beyond the scope of what is being debated. That's not 6 steps removed, that is much more direct -- "You agree that there's nothing wrong with making medically unncessary abortions illegal? Great. We'll go ahead and attempt to get a bill passed that not only does that, but due to vague wording probably makes several other types of abortions illegal, too."
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 11:46 am
sozobe wrote:
Fishin', I made a point a while back that I'm not sure registered, so I'll try making it again. The "late term abortion" debate contains many parallels to this debate, and what is happening (the bill hasn't been passed yet) is that the language of the bill goes beyond the scope of what is being debated. That's not 6 steps removed, that is much more direct -- "You agree that there's nothing wrong with making medically unncessary abortions illegal? Great. We'll go ahead and attempt to get a bill passed that not only does that, but due to vague wording probably makes several other types of abortions illegal, too."

I'd have to go and look at the proposals on the late term abortion issue again but to me at least, there is a sigificant difference between those proposals and this one which you yourself recognize. The Late Term Abortion bills actually limits real abortions by that proposal in and of itself. This one does not and includes specific provisions to ensure that the law can't be used to stop any abortion.

From what I recall from the last time I looked at the late term bills, I oppose the passage of that legislation because it DOES directly interfere with the woman's right to choose - it isn't a step or 3 or 6 away. The Fetal Homicide bill doesn't touch abortion and has provisons to ensure it doesn't in application.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 12:48 pm
Fishin', I hadn't seen any specifics about the bill. I just did a Google search, and this was the first hit:

Quote:
In creating the crime of ``fetal homicide,'' the measure would declare a fetus to be a person, starting at fertilization. Under current law, a fetus is not considered a person until the live birth occurs.

http://www.msnbc.com/local/wsaz/M277997.asp?cp1=1

Declaring a fetus a person starting at fertilization has clear implications for abortion, far more immediate than 3 to 6 steps' remove.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 12:56 pm
More info I found:

http://news.findlaw.com/court_tv/s/20030421/21apr2003152649.html

This seems like a reasonable solution to me:

Quote:
Abortion rights groups have fought the laws, arguing that there are ways to toughen penalties for perpetrators without undermining Roe v. Wade, the U.S. Supreme Court decision that made abortion legal. Sondra Goldschein of the American Civil Liberties Union's Reproductive Freedom Project, cited a North Carolina provision that adds to the length of a prison sentence for assault if it causes a miscarriage.

"That way you are able to recognize the real victim, who is a woman who has experienced the devastating loss of a wanted pregnancy, without bestowing independent rights on a fetus," said Goldschein.

Although North Carolina does not have a fetal homicide law, it does have laws providing punishment for harming a fetus. Former pro football player Rae Carruth, convicted of plotting the murder of his pregnant girlfriend, was also found guilty of "using an instrument with intent to destroy an unborn child." His girlfriend eventually died from gunshot wounds, but her baby was delivered by Caesarean section 10 weeks early and survived.

This summary says that the second count of murder is important in Scott Peterson's case because under California law he won't be eligible for the death penalty without it. But it seems like that can be addressed without opening the personhood can of worms.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 01:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
Frank, I'd agree that at the earliest stages, until we come up with a gender-neutral equivalent to "him" and "her", a fetus is an "it". But Laci was pregnant with a boy, which she knew, and which the NOW spokesperson knew when she made that statement, so "Was he born?" would have been fine. I think it was a rhetorical choice made since one reacts differently to wondering whether "he" was a person with rights than whether "it" was a person with rights.

I understand where you are coming from -- but even you have to acknowledge that the "it" was directed at the fact the thing being refereenced was a fetus -- and the "it" was, in that context, appropriate whether the fetus would evenutally have been a boy or not.

Of course the question is -- was the fetus delivered before the killing?

Ferrous is trying to make the "it" seem like a slur against individuals who are not gender specific (or whatever the current politically correct term is).

His indignation was inappropriate on that account. That element was never a part of this discussion -- nor does it seem was it part of the reason the NOW representative used the word.

I appreciate your concern. But I have read over my comments and I honestly do not see them as arrogant or inappropriate. I see them as out-front.

As far as the NOW representative was concerned -- she wanted to use the word "it" specifically, because she is interested in protecting women's rights -- and she has to be careful not to carelessly concede any points that can later come back to haunt that protection -- especially considering the group now in power in Washington.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 01:29 pm
Quote:
My gosh, 8 pages and a lot of nonsense, before we get to the point of this article. I simply wanted it defined, when the fetus is a viable human being. Now we have come up with a definitive legal definition to Point X.

Nonsense.

There have been several attempts to give opinions on the issue -- most of which you seem to have ignored apparently because they do not conform to where you wanted this thing to go.

If you were looking for a purely legal opinion -- you should have so stated. I don't think there are that many lawyers posting here, so that would probably be counterproductive.

In any case, in A2K, opinions are given from a variety of perspectives.

I gave an opinion. Several others have given opinions. Now you purport that this is the first. Once again: Nonsense.

I notice you managed to lecture me when I was, in your opinion, off topic, but when I got on topic and gave an opinion, you did not respond.

Well, that is your right. But hear me carefully: Safe, medically assisted abortions are here to stay -- and of right, they ought to be.

If that bothers you -- the best thing you can do is to get over it.
0 Replies