thoughts on assisted suicide~should Dr.Kevorkian be paroled

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:19 pm
After years of being in prison does Dr.Kevorkian deserve to be paroled?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,516 • Replies: 25
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:24 pm
never shoulda been convicted in the first place.
0 Replies

pseudokinetics

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:26 pm
he was only doing what people asked him.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:26 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Ditto!!

Anon
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:48 pm
Assisted suicide has always been something I have conflicting feelings about. I am curious about one thing. Does anyone know if the doctor plans to continue in his assisted suicides or not? Isn't part of being paroled you have to accept responsibility for what you have been convicted of and show remorse? I haven't heard anything about this for a long while and have no clue. Does anyone have any info?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:50 pm
It's certainly my understanding the Dr always accepted responsibility for his actions. So what is it he should show remorse for?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:54 pm
I think that assisted suicide is a good thing. There are many people who are suffering terribly, yet kept alive in misery. It is important that they have a doctor helping with the suicide. One of the worst outcomes is that a person attempts to commit suicide, and ends up in a coma, or on a ventilator.

The important thing though, is that there needs to be laws in place that would ensure that suicide is what a person really wants, and not simply for the convenience of the relatives. Also, a physician needs to know if the person has a rational reason for wanting to die, and is not simply going through a temporary depression.

I think that Kevorkian needs to be set free. He should not have been imprisoned in the first place. Anyone that he helped, asked for his help.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:57 pm
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/living/13752660.htm

Quote:
It doesn't look good. Word is that the 77-year-old is extremely frail and suffering from a host of ailments including high blood pressure, arthritis, hepatitis C and two cracked ribs from a recent fall. Kevorkian also has been diagnosed with cataracts and osteoporosis.

"He's not in the best shape," said his attorney, Mayer Morgenroth.
Same thing with his legal case. Serving a 10- to 25-year sentence, Kevorkian's prospects for an early release aren't promising.
In December, a state parole board rejected a request to either pardon or commute his sentence. Kevorkian doesn't become eligible for parole until 2007 - if he lives that long.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:59 pm
Thanx for the link, Phoenix. That poor man. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

pseudokinetics

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:58 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Assisted suicide has always been something I have conflicting feelings about. I am curious about one thing. Does anyone know if the doctor plans to continue in his assisted suicides or not? Isn't part of being paroled you have to accept responsibility for what you have been convicted of and show remorse? I haven't heard anything about this for a long while and have no clue. Does anyone have any info?

Assisted suicide has been legalized in certain states but I know nothing about him continuing his previous career.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 05:31 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Also, ditto.
0 Replies

Armageddon

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 11:36 pm
Prison is to keep people who are deemed threats to society and its progression away from the society. They are parolled when it is no longer likely they will be a threat to society itself, but we're keeping a watchful eye on them.

The fact that he is now parolled means the government doesn't believe he will commit the act again, but they're watching him just to make sure.

How assisted suicides are a threat to humanity, however, is beyond me.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:31 pm
This man is a true physician doing exactly what he should be doing, which is:

1) To do no harm
2) To make your patient as comfortable and pain free as possible.
3) Don't allow useless pain and suffering
4) Be there, comforting family members through this tough
transitional period

Which I guess is why he was in jail. The hateful puritan influence
on this country may never be stamped out, but we must keep
trying. The story of the first heart surgery performed on "blue
babies" was believed by all physicians, save one, who felt that
operating on the heart was against everything modern medicine
taught AND that it was against God's will. They felt that letting
blue babies die was God's will.Any group of professionals needs
a kick in the butt once in awhile.
What Columbus did for map makers, Kevorkian is doing for the
suffering and dying who wish to die with peace & dignity.
0 Replies

pseudokinetics

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:01 pm
Kevorkian would only take the deathly ill that would die much more painfully than he would let them.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:38 pm
Thank you, thank you, thank you Babs.

It's much better than doing it yourself and blotching it and ending up on a feeding tube, and you know what that means.
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
No! He deserves to be pardoned!

All the people he assisted gave their "informed" consent. They are the only ones who must answer for their decisions in the next analyzation period of their being.

The good doctor was simply doing his duty to ease pain and suffering.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 10:54 am
I don't think anyone would disagree that Dr. Kevorkian did what he did to easy the pain and suffering of others. I think the thing that is being disagreed on is whether it should be legal or not?

It's true that he BROKE the law, but it's also true that he did it to help others. But, how do you rewrite a law like this so this type of thing won't be "used" by others simply as an excuse to murder? I don't see Kevorkian as a murderer, mind you. But, I think plenty of people would try to use this as a defense for murder if the law is not written just right.
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:24 am
Momma Angel,

It doesn't matter how well the law is written, there will always be some who will violate the intent of the law. That shouldn't be sufficient reason for not enacting such a law that would allow assisted suicide.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 12:46 pm
Questioner wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Also, ditto.

Another ditto.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 10:19 am
We euthanize our pets but force ourselves, our parents, our children, and neighbors to SUFFER when there is no chance for recovery.

Now, really--does that make sense?

I don't believe it does.
0 Replies