jespah

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:38 am
Thanks, muslim1. Is there a big feast to break the fast?
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:10 am
jespah wrote:
Thanks, muslim1. Is there a big feast to break the fast?

Not such a big one, but we gather family and friends and spend happy moments Very Happy .

The most important thing about the day of Ashoorah is that we all remember that Good will always win over Evil; Truth over Falsehood.
Moses (Peace be upon him) and his companions were very patient and stayed firm in their belief despite the suffering caused by the pharaoh and his evil army. Allah will always grant victory to those who are patient and steadfast in their belief.
"The fair promise of thy Lord was fulfilled for the Children of Israel, because they had patience and constancy, and We levelled to the ground the great works and fine buildings which Pharaoh and his people erected (with such pride). " [Glorious Qur'an 7:137]
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:05 am
muslim1 wrote:
jespah an neo,

Ashoorah, or the 10th of Muharram commemorates the day in which the believers (Israelites) crossed the Red Sea and pharaoh's army was drowned in the water. This is what I meant by "the victory of Moses (Peace be upon him) over the pharaoh".
What reference is there to verify the time between the known date of the first passover and Pharaoh's defeat in the Red Sea?

Was it a victory for Moses and the Israelites or a victory for Yahweh?
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:20 am
neologist wrote:
What reference is there to verify the time between the known date of the first passover and Pharaoh's defeat in the Red Sea?

The Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessing be upon him), when migrated to Madinah, found that the Jews of Madinah used to fast on the 10th day of Muharram (Ashoora). They said that it was the day on which the Prophet Moses (Peace be upon him) and his followers crossed the Red Sea miraculously and the pharaoh was drowned in its water.
On hearing this from the Jews, the Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessing be upon him) said, "We are more closely related to Moses than you" and directed the Muslims to fast on the day of Ashoora.

neologist wrote:
Was it a victory for Moses and the Israelites or a victory for Yahweh?

If by "Yahweh" you mean your (and my) Creator, the Creator of the Heavens and the Earth, God, Allah, then yes, it's a victory for Yahweh. It's also a victory for the believers of that time: Moses (on whom be peace) and the Israelites.

And Allah knows best.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:27 am
Jespah, have you any knowledge of this in Hebraic history?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
Quote:
This life is all one big test to see who follows Allah's Path of Guidance and who strays.

Funny, conservative Christians say the same thing about Christianity.

I don't believe God tests us at all. If he did then he's very unfair. He practices predestination.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:44 am
Do you believe we have free will, xing?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:02 am
neologist wrote:

Nope, never heard of fasting on that date. I don't think we commemorate that date at all, though of course things can change over the course of a few kiloyears.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:16 am
Yes, we do have a free will. However the culture we grow up in dictates, many times, the religion and beliefs we settle on in our adulthood. So, although we have a free will, our culture suppresses it.

Why are you a Christian? Because you were born in Saudia Arabia and raised as a Muslim?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:16 am
jespah wrote:
neologist wrote:

Nope, never heard of fasting on that date. I don't think we commemorate that date at all, though of course things can change over the course of a few kiloyears.
Yeah, Raul. Even so, it would still be reckoned as after Nisan 14, right? Why so early?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:18 am
xingu wrote:
Yes, we do have a free will. However the culture we grow up in dictates, many times, the religion and beliefs we settle on in our adulthood. So, although we have a free will, our culture suppresses it.

Why are you a Christian? Because you were born in Saudia Arabia and raised as a Muslim?
I spent many years as an atheist and kissed many toads before realizing the truth.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:30 am
And you were in a position to choose. Many people don't have that option.

Most all people retain the religion they are taught if they are raised in a family and community that has strong religious beliefs. These people are taught to not to listen to outsiders and unbelievers. The Koran says all unbelievers are liars. This is the right and wrong they are taught from childhood. Their free will was destroyed.

So, yes, we are born with free will but that doesn't mean we can use it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:41 am
Interesting answer. Perhaps we could return to this thread:
http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1731496#1731496
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:48 pm
xingu wrote:

I don't believe God tests us at all. If he did then he's very unfair. He practices predestination.

If the human is touched by adversity, he implores us, but as soon as we bestow a blessing upon him, he says, "I attained this because of my cleverness!" Indeed, this is only a test, but most of them do not know. [Qur'an 39:49]
0 Replies