Raul-7

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:02 am
THE MOST VIRTUOUS DAY OF THIS MONTH

The most virtuous day of this month is the day of Ashoorah - the tenth of Muharram. It is reported in Saheeh al-Bukharee, when Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) came to Madeenah, he saw the Jews fasting on the day of Ashoorah. He said: 'What is this?' They said: 'This is the day when Allah saved Moosa from drowning, so we fast on this day.' Then he said: "We have more right to Moosa than you." So he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) fasted on this day and advised the Muslims to do the same.

Also, Ibn Abbas (radhi allahu anhu) narrated: "When Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) observed the fast of the day of Ashoorah and ordered (the Sahabah) to fast, they said: "O Messenger of Allah! It is a day revered by Jews and Christians." Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "The coming year, if Allah wills, we will fast on the ninth (also)." [Saheeh Muslim, vol: 1, p: 359]

Ibn Abbas (radhi allahu anhu) also reported: "I never saw the Prophet more keen to fast on any day other than the day of Ashoorah and any month than the month of Ramadaan." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

The phrase 'more keen' of Ibn Abbas (radhi allahu anhu) indicates that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) looked forward to fast on the day of Ashoorah in order to earn the reward for doing so, he Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam): "Fasting the day of Ashoorah, I hope will be an expiation of sins for the year before." [Saheeh Muslim v: 1, p: 368]

Thus, the day of Ashoorah is mercy from Allah and an opportunity for one to get his sins forgiven. It is recommended for the Muslim Ummah to fast both the tenth and the ninth of Muharram since Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) fasted the tenth and intended to fast the ninth. Another important thing to be understood here is that voluntary fasts are expiation for minor sin, as long as one completely refrains from major sins and is always cautious about minor sins. Some people who are deceived rely greatly on voluntary worships (like the day of Ashoorah or the day of Arafat) - to the extent that some of them say, fasting on Ashoorah will expiate for the sins of the whole year, and fasting on the day of Arafat will bring extra rewards.

*FAST TOMMOROW, IT IS THE 10TH OF THE MONTH*
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,629 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:06 am
Raul-7,
Where are you?
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 05:13 am
Raul-7 wrote:
THE MOST VIRTUOUS DAY OF THIS MONTH

The most virtuous day of this month is the day of Ashoorah - the tenth of Muharram. It is reported in Saheeh al-Bukharee, when Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) came to Madeenah, he saw the Jews fasting on the day of Ashoorah. He said: 'What is this?' They said: 'This is the day when Allah saved Moosa from drowning, so we fast on this day.' Then he said: "We have more right to Moosa than you." So he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) fasted on this day and advised the Muslims to do the same.

Also, Ibn Abbas (radhi allahu anhu) narrated: "When Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) observed the fast of the day of Ashoorah and ordered (the Sahabah) to fast, they said: "O Messenger of Allah! It is a day revered by Jews and Christians." Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "The coming year, if Allah wills, we will fast on the ninth (also)." [Saheeh Muslim, vol: 1, p: 359]

Ibn Abbas (radhi allahu anhu) also reported: "I never saw the Prophet more keen to fast on any day other than the day of Ashoorah and any month than the month of Ramadaan." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

The phrase 'more keen' of Ibn Abbas (radhi allahu anhu) indicates that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) looked forward to fast on the day of Ashoorah in order to earn the reward for doing so, he Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam): "Fasting the day of Ashoorah, I hope will be an expiation of sins for the year before." [Saheeh Muslim v: 1, p: 368]

Thus, the day of Ashoorah is mercy from Allah and an opportunity for one to get his sins forgiven. It is recommended for the Muslim Ummah to fast both the tenth and the ninth of Muharram since Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) fasted the tenth and intended to fast the ninth. Another important thing to be understood here is that voluntary fasts are expiation for minor sin, as long as one completely refrains from major sins and is always cautious about minor sins. Some people who are deceived rely greatly on voluntary worships (like the day of Ashoorah or the day of Arafat) - to the extent that some of them say, fasting on Ashoorah will expiate for the sins of the whole year, and fasting on the day of Arafat will bring extra rewards.

*FAST TOMMOROW, IT IS THE 10TH OF THE MONTH*

Indeed Raul, Ashoorah (10th of the month of Muharram) is a very important day for Muslims. It is a day commemorating the victory of Allah's Messenger Moses (Peace be upon him) over the pharaoh and his evil forces.

May Allah almighty accept our fast on this day and on the day of Tasooah (9th of Muharram).
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 09:41 am
Tell us more about how this date is calculated, Raul.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:31 am
Neo,

neologist wrote:
Tell us more about how this date is calculated

The Islamic (Hijri, Lunar) calendar is based on a lunar month of 29 to 30 days, with the day starting at sunset.
The new moon announces the arrival of a new month, but due to differences in the weather (rain and fog, et cetera) that may prevent a clear view of the moon, or due to great distances between countries, the start of a new month is neither definite nor conclusive. Therefore scientists have developed a number of norms to help predict when the first sighting of the crescent moon will be.
The Islamic year consists of twelve months. The first of these months is called "Muharram". The 10th of Muharram is the day of Ashoora. In other words, Neo
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:11 pm
The (ancient) Hebrew calendar consists of 13 lunar months, the first, Nisan, begins on the new moon closest to the spring equinox. The full moon occurs on the fourteenth of Nisan, which varies each year according to the Gregorian calendar and is the date of the passover.

It is also the date on which Jesus instituted the new covenant with his disciples and died as a fulfillment of Hebrew law.

It is quite a simple calculation for meteorologists and astronomers to calculate the date of the first full moon following the new moon closest to the spring equinox.

So, I was wondering why there should be a discrepancy between the calculations of the two (three, actually) religious groups using the same date.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:33 pm
I know the discrepancy between Judaism and Christianity is because the Christian calendar works to make Easter Sunday happen on, well, a Sunday, whereas the Jewish calendar goes for a similar date for Passover (first full moon after the new moon closest to the Spring equinox), but there's no Sunday requirement so that accounts for that variant.

If Ashoorah is the day that Moses was plucked from the Nile, then that should be a different date altogether.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:53 pm
Thanks, jespah. I hadn't considered the possibility of the date being one to commemorate the saving of Moses as an infant. But, muslim1 did say it was the day Moses was given victory over the pharaoh. Wouldn't that be the passover?

Islamic clarification needed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:58 pm
Ishoorah get a kick outta all the new imaginary friend lunacy we got goin' on here these days . . .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:16 pm
Ramen
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 04:08 pm
Should a man be as loving and merciful as he can be every day? Of course.

Does man's mercy exceed the mercy of God? Look around.

God is loving and merciful always....every day and forever.

His love and mercy is shown in his son Jesus Christ!
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:07 pm
Quote:
FAST TOMMOROW, IT IS THE 10TH OF THE MONTH

You fast; I'm having bacon and eggs for breakfast.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:06 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:
FAST TOMMOROW, IT IS THE 10TH OF THE MONTH

You fast; I'm having bacon and eggs for breakfast.

If you were a true Christian and follower of Jesus as you all claim you would fast this day, then again there's a lot of things Christians do that is against their religion. You claim you are a true believer, yet you don't want to act like a true believer. But it's not like anyone is watching. [Or that is what you think]

"And when they meet those who believe, they say: "We believe," but when they are alone with their Shayâtin (devils - polytheists, hypocrites, etc.), they say: "Truly, we are with you; verily, we were but mocking."

Allâh mocks at them and gives them increase in their wrong-doings to wander blindly.

These are they who have purchased error for guidance, so their commerce was profitless. And they were not guided.

Their likeness is as the likeness of one who kindled a fire; then, when it lighted all around him, Allâh took away their light and left them in darkness. (So) they could not see.

They are deaf, dumb, and blind, so they return not (to the Right Path).

Or like a rainstorm from the sky, wherein is darkness, thunder, and lightning. They thrust their fingers in their ears to keep out the stunning thunderclap for fear of death. But Allâh ever encompasses the disbelievers (i.e. Allâh will gather them all together).

The lightning almost snatches away their sight, whenever it flashes for them, they walk therein, and when darkness covers them, they stand still. And if Allâh willed, He could have taken away their hearing and their sight. Certainly, Allâh has power over all things." (Surat al-Baqara:14-20)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 09:10 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
If you were a true Christian and follower of Jesus as you all claim

When it comes to understanding atheism, do you guys just stick your head in a box and pretend we don't exist, or what?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 09:55 pm
Quote:
If you were a true Christian and follower of Jesus as you all claim you would fast this day, then again there's a lot of things Christians do that is against their religion. You claim you are a true believer, yet you don't want to act like a true believer.

First of all I'm not a Christian.

Second, what do you think you'll get for fasting; a trip to heaven? Does God demand this in order to achieve salvation?

Does he demand this of all religions or only yours and the Christians?

I don't think God gives a rats ass as to what we eat or when we eat it. Anal over pious humans under the delusion that they speak for God are the ones that come up with these ridiculous rules.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 12:19 am
This life is all one big test to see who follows Allah's Path of Guidance and who strays.

And since most of you rely on scienctific facts so much why don't you go look up the benefits of fasting?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 01:08 am
What absolute rubbish. This life is the only one you get and you choose to waste it planning for another one. How foolish and wasteful and ridiculous...not to mention dangerous to the rest of us.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 01:18 am
Raul-7,
Why won't you talk to your God?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:03 am
neologist wrote:
Thanks, jespah. I hadn't considered the possibility of the date being one to commemorate the saving of Moses as an infant. But, muslim1 did say it was the day Moses was given victory over the pharaoh. Wouldn't that be the passover?

Islamic clarification needed.

Hey neo,

Oops I read it as the day Moses was saved from drowning. Hmm. And yeah, the victory over Pharaoh, assuming we're talking about the day of the 10th plague, AKA the slaying of the first born, that involved the lamb's blood mezuzot on doorposts and therefore that would be Passover. But if it's the day that the Israelites crossed the Red Sea and Pharaoh's army was swallowed by the returning waters, I think that's a few days later. There really isn't an actual battle, far as I recall.

My considered Jewish answer is: helfino.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:19 am
jespah an neo,

Ashoorah, or the 10th of Muharram commemorates the day in which the believers (Israelites) crossed the Red Sea and pharaoh's army was drowned in the water. This is what I meant by "the victory of Moses (Peace be upon him) over the pharaoh".
0 Replies