Doctor Donates Kidney to Her Patient/ Ethics Examined

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 07:27 am
Quote:
Chicago Doctor Donates Kidney to Patient
By DEANNA BELLANDI
Associated Press Writer

April 25, 2003, 8:43 AM EDT

CHICAGO -- The case of a doctor who donated a kidney to one of her patients is raising new ethical questions about the doctor-patient relationship and organ donation.

For Dr. Susan Hou, donating a kidney was something she had thought about since her days in medical school where she had a friend with kidney disease.

"I can't bring about world peace, I can't eliminate world hunger, but I can get one person off dialysis," said Hou, 56, medical director of the renal transplant program at Loyola University Medical Center in suburban Chicago.

But medical ethicists, who say they know of no similar case in the United States, believe such a gift complicates the relationship between doctors and patients, and raises the issue of how a doctor decides which patient gets their life-saving gift.

The person Hou chose to help was a 34-year-old suburban mother who was referred to Loyola's transplant program.

Hou said other people haven't been a match for her kidney and something just clicked when she met Hermelinda Gutierrez, who was suffering from polycystic kidney disease.

"Just because you can't give to everybody doesn't seem a reason not to give it to anybody," Hou said of her decision.

Loyola has 421 patients on a waiting list for a new kidney and the United Network for Organ Sharing said there are more than 54,000 people in the country waiting for kidney transplants.

At Loyola, Hou is part of the team that has cared for Gutierrez since her transplant in October.

That Hou cares for Gutierrez may be problematic, said ethicist Arthur Caplan of the University of Pennsylvania.

"It's bad when doctors care for family members; it's probably a bad idea for them to take care of people who are carrying around one of their organs," Caplan said.

Hou said she thought about not seeing Gutierrez as a patient anymore, but that didn't seem right.

"It would be really artificial not to see her and to avoid her," Hou said.

Dr. David Hatch, who also is on Loyola's transplant team, said because a team -- and not just Hou -- cares for Gutierrez some of the potential conflicts ethicists might raise are lessened.

If other transplant professionals want to donate organs, it might be better if they go to a transplant center other than their own, said Dr. Mark Fox, chairman of the organ sharing network's ethics committee.

That way, physicians can avoid potentially conflicted relationships with colleagues and patients, Fox said.

"I think this will generate some discussion and I would suspect that more people, physicians and nurses, probably will step forward to be living donors," Fox said.

Gutierrez said she couldn't believe it when Hou made the offer to be her organ donor: "People like this exist. But I didn't know I was going to meet one."

The patient said she suffered severe headaches and high blood pressure before the transplant, and her family was gravely worried.

"Now they are very happy," she said. "They see how much better I'm feeling -- what a big difference it has made in my life, for all of us."
Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press

What do YOU think about the ethical ramifications of this act?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,008 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Yottos

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 08:39 am
I am not sure that was an ethically ambiguous act. Hou was taking on the role of a human being and not of a doctor when the decision was made to transplant her organ to Gutierrez. Had she been acting in the capacity of a Doctor then yes, I believe it would be an ethically challenged decision.

When a family members wishes to donate an organ to another family member we do not question their ethics. We (as a society) don't expect them to donate the organ to a person waiting on a list because we know they value their family member more then a stranger. Society says this is acceptable and I would agree.

I think people are concentrating on Hou's profession and not what really matter, the fact that she is a human before a doctor. I realize this is why doctors don't typically treat family members, but Hou's organ was a GIFT to Gutierrez.

Quote:
What do YOU think about the ethical ramifications of this act?

I don't believe there are any. You are not ethically challenged if you embrace your emotions and act on them, within reason. And you certainly cannot ask an individual to separate their humanity from their profession. The organ was a gift to do with as she saw fit.

At least...that is how I see it. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 08:45 am
Yottos- Welcome to Able2Know- I tend to agree with you. The doctor's kidney was hers to give to whomever she wanted.

Quote:
But medical ethicists, who say they know of no similar case in the United States, believe such a gift complicates the relationship between doctors and patients, and raises the issue of how a doctor decides which patient gets their life-saving gift.

I personally think that the doctor's decision is a non-issue. It was her kidney.

I am still a bit conflicted about whether the doctor should have removed herself from the team that was handling the patient's case.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 08:49 am
Dr. Hou did the right thing. It should also be noted at this point that the Loyola Medical Center is affliated with the Catholic Church.

Too bad, more people aren't as kind and moral as Dr. Hou.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 08:49 am
Hopefully Dr. Hou will remain in good health.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 12:20 pm
Dr. Hou probably had herself tested when it was found that others were not a match for Hermelinda Gutierrez and when she realized she was a match, decided to offer.

She was in a unique position also, as the patients doctor, to see her gift making a difference and I don't see an ethical issue here. I see no reason why the doctor could not continue to care for the patient.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 12:35 pm
Yottos wrote:
I am not sure that was an ethically ambiguous act. Hou was taking on the role of a human being and not of a doctor when the decision was made to transplant her organ to Gutierrez. Had she been acting in the capacity of a Doctor then yes, I believe it would be an ethically challenged decision.

When a family members wishes to donate an organ to another family member we do not question their ethics. We (as a society) don't expect them to donate the organ to a person waiting on a list because we know they value their family member more then a stranger. Society says this is acceptable and I would agree.

Are not the "human being" and "the doctor" one in the same in this case?

Family members don't have a professional responsibility to treat all patients equeally. I think you may also be mixing general societal ethics with professional ethics here.

A doctor is supposed to maintain a relationship with their patients on a professional basis with the intent of eliminating personal biases from influencing medical decisions. The reason this is being questioned in this case is because the donor/reciever tend to develop a closer bond than what is ethical by professional standards. If Dr. Hou now recommends a further and possibly risky medical procedure is there a possibility of the patient being influenced by the fact that Hou donated the organ in accepting that recommendation? Does the patient now feel they "owe" Dr. Hou the benefit of the doubt in any medical decisions made?

The article says Hou is still involved in the patients care but doesn't say to what degree. IMO, unless it is in a very minor capacity, Dr. Hou should remove herself from that position.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 01:18 pm
Quote:
"Just because you can't give to everybody doesn't seem a reason not to give it to anybody," Hou said of her decision.
IMO, this is the answer to the main ethical question. Doctor did everything she could to improve her patient's health; this cannot be considered unethical.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:34 am
The ethics committee of the hospital will see things differently.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 10:36 am
If Dr. Hou should now acquire a kidney disease and die as a consequence, society will lose a valuable care-giver, since the recipient of her other kidney can not replace her in the medical field.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 03:39 pm
It seems that Dr. Hou has made her choice, is comfortable with her choice, and feels that the recipient is a 'worthwhile' recipient.

I'm not sure she'd think that she is more 'valuable' than the recipient.

I'd certainly argue that someone's professional qualifications do not add to their 'value' as a human being.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 01:23 pm
Dr. Hou has demonstrated the true nature of humanity in sharing all her capacities and assets with the rest of humanity.
This in my mind makes her the perfect person to be operating in the medical field in the first place, and in no way disables her as a member of the medical team caring for the recipient.

I suppose though that I dissagree with doctor Hou's original assessment that she is unable to "change the world".
If all human beings took this concept of "sharing" so seriously, we would have a greatly improved society.

Perhaps it is fair to say that whenever we, in spite of popular opinion, do what we know to be the ethically correct thing to do, we "change the world"!
0 Replies