Hymn in Mona Lisa Smile

J-B

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:25 am
In the beginning part of the movie, Mona Lisa Smile, instantly after the principal declared that a new academic year had begun, a sublime hymn was sung.
When I was in London I heard this hymn once when there was a marathon taking place. Seems a hymn for formal and grand public events with religious elements. Could you help me with telling me the name of that hymn? I think it is really a great piece and I will really appreciate any help offered Smile

JB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,531 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:35 am
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304415/soundtrack

Quote:
"Lift Thine Eyes"
from "Elijah"
Written by Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (as Felix Mendelssohn)
Performed by Wellesley College Chamber Singers
Lisa Graham Conductor
Under license from Wellesley College Chamber Singers

Link to :Lift thine Eyes"

On the Amazon link, there is a link to the song "Lift thine Eyes" that you can hear. Is that the one that you wanted?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 05:29 am
I am afraid it might not be the piece I want.
And thanks for the site you provide so that I could check on all the other pieces but still found nothing.
Maybe the 1-minute long piece Amazon.com provides is just a small part of that medley?
It was sung only for about 10-20 seconds in the movie and it was sung by male singers, and that piece has exactly the same astonishing tune with which I heard in London street.
katefin

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 10:36 pm
@J-B,
I believe the song you heard in London, which has the same melody as the hymn played in "Mona Lisa Smile" as the chapel doors opened and the girls began to enter, was "I Vow to Thee, My Country." Charlotte Church has recorded it. It is exquisitwe! It was also played/sung at Princess Diana's funeral. However, though I could not exactly pick up on the words used in the movie, they did not sound like the ones used in the British hymn (also a patriotic anthem). Perhaps there was a Wellesley college anthem that used the same melody but had different words.
0 Replies